Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2022, 08:25 PM   #101
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

If Juuso Valimaki can’t make a good impression with the Flames at this point, I’m not sure a change of scenery will help him much.
He has the size and a decent enough skater but just not solid enough for the NHL game, he strikes me as wirey type player. You need to be and play thick especially for a defender or be super skilled to make up for it.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:25 PM   #102
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFO View Post
I could see a handful of teams putting a claim in - including Oilers.
That would explain the awful showing in Edmonton last night. He doesn't want them to claim him.
Old 10-01-2022, 08:26 PM   #103
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFO View Post
I could see a handful of teams putting a claim in - including Oilers.
At $1.55 million I highly doubt Edmonton would make a claim. Maybe a team like Arizona but I have no idea what their d depth is. I’m more on the side he wouldn’t get claimed because of the $1.55 million cap
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 09:43 PM   #104
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah his cap hit will be a deterrent for sure. And there is no way the Oilers could take him
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:48 PM   #105
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who cares if the Oilers or any other team take Valimaki? I'm hoping someone takes him. He's not an NHL defenseman and would be a detriment to any team that has to play him. Waive him and hope someone eats up that salary.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 09:50 PM   #106
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I wonder if Stone would sign an AHL contract. If the Flames ran into a raft of blue line injuries (knock on wood) they could sign him then (or towards the trade deadline). Of course he'd still have to pass through waivers coming up.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:00 PM   #107
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I wonder if Stone would sign an AHL contract. If the Flames ran into a raft of blue line injuries (knock on wood) they could sign him then (or towards the trade deadline). Of course he'd still have to pass through waivers coming up.

He would not. Re-entry waivers are no longer a thing.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 01:44 AM   #108
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
He would not. Re-entry waivers are no longer a thing.
Re-entry waivers are no longer a thing, but if you sign a player to an NHL contract in mid-season, and he has already played in another pro league, you have to put him on waivers before adding him to your roster. Teams have lost players this way before.

The safer thing to do would be to sign Stone to an NHL contract right away, let him pass through waivers at a time when he will definitely clear, and bring him up when needed without any risk.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:19 AM   #109
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Re-entry waivers are no longer a thing, but if you sign a player to an NHL contract in mid-season, and he has already played in another pro league, you have to put him on waivers before adding him to your roster. Teams have lost players this way before.

The safer thing to do would be to sign Stone to an NHL contract right away, let him pass through waivers at a time when he will definitely clear, and bring him up when needed without any risk.
So coaching contract?
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:57 AM   #110
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

I suspect whatever they have in mind for Stone was mutually agreed to back in the summer sometime.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ford Prefect For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 05:11 PM   #111
TheSkinner
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post

If he has an AHL contract with the Flames he wouldn't have to go through waivers if he is converted to an NHL deal as he is already flames property.
TheSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:36 PM   #112
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkinner View Post
If he has an AHL contract with the Flames he wouldn't have to go through waivers if he is converted to an NHL deal as he is already flames property.
If it’s after a certain date he’d have to go through waivers.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 10:09 PM   #113
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkinner View Post
If they sign him to an AHL-only deal to evade waivers, and then sign him to an NHL deal after he's played (a certain number of?) AHL games, I believe he'll have to go through waivers. The rule was made specifically to close that loophole, though I believe it is usually applied when players get stashed in Euro leagues.