Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2022, 01:53 PM   #21
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Atlanta will have an NHL team before QC ever has one
Probably would then in ten years after no one cares to watch the team, and the franchise is bleeding in debt they can move to Quebec City and serve Canada a hat trick for relocating franchises from Atlanta to the north.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 01:56 PM   #22
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Edmonton could get the NHL team before QC does.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:50 PM   #23
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
Probably would then in ten years after no one cares to watch the team, and the franchise is bleeding in debt they can move to Quebec City and serve Canada a hat trick for relocating franchises from Atlanta to the north.
This is the master plan.

By 2100, the entire NHL will consist of (a) teams that have relocated from Canada to the U.S., and (b) teams that have relocated from Atlanta to Canada.

Sometimes both. Hockey scholars will spend generations studying the strange history of the Atlanta-Saskatoon-San Antonio Screaming Eagles, and wonder how they ever got that way. Or why the New York Rangers relocated to Atlanta, Sault Ste. Marie, and then back to New York again, all within the span of a single season.

But I have said too much. I have spoken of the master plan. DO NOT SPEAK OF THE MASTER PLAN!!!
Old 10-01-2022, 03:58 PM   #24
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Atlanta is a market that the NHL really wants. There is a lot of money there and it is a large TV market.

They need to keep up with their diversity marketing and eventually it will be an easier nut to crack. There is still a bit of a racial divide in hockey and I think that played into the failures in Atlanta.
Old 10-01-2022, 04:40 PM   #25
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is going to end with Quebec City getting a team.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:42 PM   #26
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think Atlanta is a market that the NHL really wants. There is a lot of money there and it is a large TV market.

They need to keep up with their diversity marketing and eventually it will be an easier nut to crack. There is still a bit of a racial divide in hockey and I think that played into the failures in Atlanta.
I'm biased (live in Quebec City) but it would be an absolute joke if Atlanta got a 3 chance before Quebec City got another.

No matter how.big the tv market is, or how big the population is, if people are not interested in hockey those factors mean nothing.
Flames1217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:58 PM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
I'm biased (live in Quebec City) but it would be an absolute joke if Atlanta got a 3 chance before Quebec City got another.

No matter how.big the tv market is, or how big the population is, if people are not interested in hockey those factors mean nothing.
Yeah, and this has to be looked at more closely.

I was highly skeptical that Winnipeg would be able to make a go of it, but they've managed.

I'm not sure I'm with you on the Quebec City front though.

The other battle that Quebec has to fight is 'The Ottawa Effect.'

Sure, you can plunk a team there but what percentage of people there are still old diehard Nordiques fans? Most of those people have moved on to support other teams? Are they going to ditch almost a generation of being a Habs or Leafs fan to renew their fandom for Quebec?

That was something that Winnipeg made work for them, but each additional gap year just applies more pressure to that attrition.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:42 PM   #28
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post

I would be super happy to see QC get the Nordiques back. It would instantly become my second favourite team. Back when I lived in Ontario and Quebec, I used to go to QC for holidays all the time. It is honestly probably my favourite city in Canada. I am not fluent in French, so I can’t work there, but I always thought I would like to retire there one day.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:42 PM   #29
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, and this has to be looked at more closely.

I was highly skeptical that Winnipeg would be able to make a go of it, but they've managed.

I'm not sure I'm with you on the Quebec City front though.

The other battle that Quebec has to fight is 'The Ottawa Effect.'

Sure, you can plunk a team there but what percentage of people there are still old diehard Nordiques fans? Most of those people have moved on to support other teams? Are they going to ditch almost a generation of being a Habs or Leafs fan to renew their fandom for Quebec?

That was something that Winnipeg made work for them, but each additional gap year just applies more pressure to that attrition.
Quebec city has an odd fandom at the moment.

The majority are Habs fans, Bruins are probably a somewhat close second and then followed by others like Avalanche, Tampa etc. Whenever you are out though you still see someone wearing a Nordiques hat or shirt, people haven't let go.

The Remparts are also the highest drawing CHL team in the league(if that is even a factor).

The thing that doesn't help out QC is that there is no additional added plus to a tv deal. Everyone here already watches hockey. Team or not that will never change. The team would sell out, jerseys would sell like hot cakes but the TV wouldn't change. Quebec city is thus a low risk medium reward scenerio and the NHL or at least Bettman will always roll the dice on a high risk high reward scenerio before considering Quebec. TV deals still mean alot and until that changes the likelihood that we get a team is slim.
Flames1217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:13 AM   #30
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quebec City is absolutely meaningless in regards to marketing to the NHL and as a media market.

The NBA smokes the NHL in dollars in, putting teams in obscure Canadian cities isn't going to improve that standing.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:16 AM   #31
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Quebec City is absolutely meaningless in regards to marketing to the NHL and as a media market.

The NBA smokes the NHL in dollars in, putting teams in obscure Canadian cities isn't going to improve that standing.
and keeping a farm team with a few thousand fans in Arizona is going to help that? lol
Old 10-04-2022, 09:49 AM   #32
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

NHL is built for growth, put a team in QC and that team will hit it's financial ceiling pretty quickly. It makes more financial sense for a team to sit in atlanta, with a population of 5 million w/ USD to draw on, in the hopes they can pop off like Tampa, even if it takes decades to happen.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:35 AM   #33
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
This is the master plan.

By 2100, the entire NHL will consist of (a) teams that have relocated from Canada to the U.S., and (b) teams that have relocated from Atlanta to Canada.

Sometimes both. Hockey scholars will spend generations studying the strange history of the Atlanta-Saskatoon-San Antonio Screaming Eagles, and wonder how they ever got that way. Or why the New York Rangers relocated to Atlanta, Sault Ste. Marie, and then back to New York again, all within the span of a single season.

But I have said too much. I have spoken of the master plan. DO NOT SPEAK OF THE MASTER PLAN!!!
Reminds me of the beginning of BASEketball:

"Narrator: Soon it was commonplace for entire teams to change cities in search of greater profits. The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles where there are no lakes. The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil. The Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music."
GhostCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:22 PM   #34
RedIcipher
Draft Pick

Default Anson Carter looking to bring NHL team to Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostCookie View Post
Reminds me of the beginning of BASEketball:

"Narrator: Soon it was commonplace for entire teams to change cities in search of greater profits. The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles where there are no lakes. The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil. The Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music."

The Raiders moved from Oakland to LA, back to Oakland. No one in LA seemed to notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by RedIcipher; 10-04-2022 at 01:25 PM.
RedIcipher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good