Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-30-2022, 06:49 PM   #1361
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Hydrogen is a tough one, because it is like gas, but also like a battery. The benefit being no mining for minerals. The drawback being it only really makes sense to convert electricity to hydrogen when you have spare electrical capacity, which is rare(but a great use for it). Converting it from hydrocarbons doesn't make loads of sense. I think there is a use case for it, but I'm not sure it is in consumer vehicles.
You still need to mine the minerals though. The fuel cell just charges the battery which powers the car. Then you also need a lot of platinum for the fuel cell and the electrolysis. You're not saving any mining
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2022, 12:48 PM   #1362
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Chevy Equinox EV looks like a great little electric utility. Starting price of $35000CAD with 400km of range is pretty reasonable. It is likely a little too small for my family hauler replacement but I'm happy to see so many options hitting the market in the short term.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:33 PM   #1363
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The new Chevy Equinox EV looks like a great little electric utility. Starting price of $35000CAD with 400km of range is pretty reasonable. It is likely a little too small for my family hauler replacement but I'm happy to see so many options hitting the market in the short term.
I can't really find anything that's lacking with the equinox especially for that price. It would be nice if it charged faster but 150kW is adequate especially given the lack of faster DC charging infrastructure in Canada. My only grief is if you can't preorder it to avoid the "dealers are free to set individual prices" catch.

On a different note camping with an EV is so convenient. We switched into utility mode so all electronics are using the main battery then played XM radio with doors open and interior lights on and after ~3hrs had only used 1% of total charge (costing ~12c). Also I'm getting ~580km range (vs 488km advertised for RWD Ioniq 5) with summer driving albeit a good portion is city driving which as noted is >>>> efficient than highway driving. So many things to like about driving an EV especially out on the coast where gas prices have gone crazy again (>2.29).
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CASe333 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2022, 11:13 PM   #1364
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
So 45-50K
Old 10-04-2022, 08:41 AM   #1365
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ou-might-think

EVs Add to Electricity Demand, But Not as Much as You Might Think

Quote:

One final way to think about this: In 2021, China generated 983 TWh of electricity from wind and solar, 25 times more than the global passenger EV fleet used. China added around 255 TWh of new wind and solar generation to its energy mix in 2021, meaning its newly installed renewable generation produced more than six times what the entire global passenger EV fleet — built up over many years — consumed.

Integrating EVs into the power system will still require careful planning, incentives for off-peak charging to reduce peak demand, and localized grid reinforcement in many places. As a share of global electricity demand, though, the contribution will still be very modest for quite a few years.

I found the statistics about China's renewable additions fascinating

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 10-04-2022 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:27 PM   #1366
JagrBombs68
Draft Pick

First 1000km in our Tesla cost $9 in electricity ( 137kW/H @$0.0659/ kW/H) and we are locked in for 5 years. Hopefully we have Solar before the 5 year runs out and we can get it even cheaper beyond that
JagrBombs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JagrBombs68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 03:25 PM   #1367
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagrBombs68 View Post
First 1000km in our Tesla cost $9 in electricity ( 137kW/H @$0.0659/ kW/H) and we are locked in for 5 years. Hopefully we have Solar before the 5 year runs out and we can get it even cheaper beyond that
This is what makes EV appealing and helps recoup the initial higher cost of the vehicle. Out of curiosity did you have a charging system installed at your home? If so that also plays into the 'cost' of charging.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:25 PM   #1368
JagrBombs68
Draft Pick

yes the charging system is a upfront cost you have to consider. we had a 200 Amp panel with some free spots, a short power run into the garage and an electrician neighbor who helped me tie it in but all in all was about $900 - $500 for the charger $400 for cable, breaker etc. i can easily see this as a $2K bill if you brought an electrician in. If you have to upsize your line in or panel this can shoot up quick .

for us it works, but it wont work for everyone
JagrBombs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:43 AM   #1369
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It can easily get to and above $2k to run 240V into the garage depending on panel location in the house and routing to the garage as they usually have to drill through the foundation to run the cable.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2022, 07:35 AM   #1370
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It can easily get to and above $2k to run 240V into the garage depending on panel location in the house and routing to the garage as they usually have to drill through the foundation to run the cable.
This is true, but as with solar panels, you're future proofing your house and there's residual value. In 10 years when electric vehicles are far more common, that will add appeal and value to a home
Old 10-29-2022, 01:50 PM   #1371
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahahahahahaha

Toyota: We're doubling down! In the next 3 years we'll be spending $38B on soft hybrid technology and hydrogen cars. That's where the future is clearly going according to our industry leading expertise, despite people saying otherwise!

Months later....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2022, 08:00 AM   #1372
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Common sense finally prevailed in the boardroom. I am a little worried about Toyota as I'm getting a lot of Sony vibes from them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 01:04 PM   #1373
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/pet...s-the-country/

Suncor/Petrocan doubles average rate, imposes flat charging fee across Canada. They argue it is so they can expand and fund the network.

Umm, how about using some of those Oil and Gas profits to expand your network and stations Suncor?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:34 PM   #1374
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It cost a lot more than $9 for your first 1k km's. You have to include your service fees as just using kW/h is not illustrating what you are actually paying.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:05 AM   #1375
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It cost a lot more than $9 for your first 1k km's. You have to include your service fees as just using kW/h is not illustrating what you are actually paying.
If you charge at home you are paying fees regardless of charging. Not all chargers have fees, for example the parkade I am at does not charge any additional fees to use the chargers.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 02:06 PM   #1376
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/pet...s-the-country/

Suncor/Petrocan doubles average rate, imposes flat charging fee across Canada. They argue it is so they can expand and fund the network.

Umm, how about using some of those Oil and Gas profits to expand your network and stations Suncor?
If these charging stations are at gas stations.. I can't imagine they'll get a ton of use. Given the time it takes to a charge a car - even the minority of people who aren't just charging at home, will want to be near a restaurant or something instead of just hanging out at a random intersection for 30 minutes.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 02:16 PM   #1377
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
yes the charging system is a upfront cost you have to consider. we had a 200 Amp panel with some free spots, a short power run into the garage and an electrician neighbor who helped me tie it in but all in all was about $900 - $500 for the charger $400 for cable, breaker etc. i can easily see this as a $2K bill if you brought an electrician in. If you have to upsize your line in or panel this can shoot up quick .

for us it works, but it wont work for everyone
It's not going to work for most people. Calgary is currently gentrifying many neighbourhoods. In my area there are lots of duplexes which is fine, but they are changing the land use to allow rear facing units. There will be nowhere for these units to park, and that's already happening. Corner lots are turned into 4 plexes, and they provide enough parking for a toyota yaris. Each unit is about 500 - 700k so it's two people, with two cars, with nowhere to park.

It's going to be an absolute mess, and we should be pushing hybrids, phevs AND ev's not just restricting cars to evs in 10 - 15 years.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 03:37 PM   #1378
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am out of town, and the MB dealership in the city I am in had EQS on display.... GORGEOUS car.

I am going to buy one.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 04:28 PM   #1379
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Am out of town, and the MB dealership in the city I am in had EQS on display.... GORGEOUS car.

I am going to buy one.
Crazy range and efficiency on that one
Old 11-05-2022, 10:15 AM   #1380
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Audi GT / Porsche Taycan are much nicer IMO, but taste is a personal thing, and all of them are great vehicles.

I can't wait to see the EQS SUV (or whatever they call it) when it comes out.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote