Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2024, 10:33 PM   #1441
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Oh 100%. We went half way because the first half was cheap and the second half was expensive, and that will have devastating human and financial consequences, in the end.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 10:38 PM   #1442
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Yeah I didn’t: don’t mean it like that. I agree the deaths are not entirely attributable to decriminalization. I just reported the stat that CBC used in their article and I do think those deaths are more numerous with decriminalization.

I guess ultimately my question would be, to what extent does making it illegal stop deaths from drug use? If it is any at all, then it’s worth making illegal.

But to more clearly articulate my position, I believe Canada needs to do what seems to have worked and that is mirror Portugal’s policy. I’ve said this for awhile now. I don’t understand how a country has made huge strides and then we don’t think we should just copy that model, and part of that model involves some level of arrest / incarceration to get people clean and then put in way more resources into rehab and detoxification and therapy and training for jobs, etc.

Not just arrest and then fire them back out on the street after a few hours, as if that will do anything effective.
The tl;dr response to this is that incarceration presents a number of obstacles to recovery and can actually lead to death for many reasons (e.g. lack of appropriate staff knowledge and facilities for detox/withdrawal).

There are also very distinct differences between the situations in Portugal and Canada that make it very difficult to mirror their policies. I've explained some of these already in this thread, but I'm tired of repeating myself.

I will say that I'm happy to answer people's questions about this issue over PM if they want to shoot me a message, but I'm gonna bow out of the general discussion I think for my own mental health.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2024, 10:50 PM   #1443
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I don’t recall you mentioning about Portugal before so I’ll try to go find it.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 10:41 AM   #1444
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geez!! Those guys are lucky the other dudes didn't kick the #### out of them! Even 50 is too fast on some of these narrow residential streets in Van/Surrey!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1784961149743632450
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 01:07 PM   #1445
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

People do that on the street my sister lives on. It's near a major intersection on the #7. During rush hour, the intersection can back up, so some cars turn down the residential side street to try to get around the traffic, and they do it at highway speed sometimes. To make it worse, it's a pretty narrow street with no sidewalks and a daycare. I've seen so many close calls there.

One of the neighbours tried to start a petition to get the city to put in speed bumps because of the danger to kids in the area, but you'd be surprised how many refused to sign stating that they don't have kids and therefore don't care.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-29-2024 at 01:28 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 01:17 PM   #1446
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speeding infractions need to be stricter.
I don't see why someone driving that fast on a residential street should ever get a license back. Same with that biker on the Lions Gate.
Bus pass for life once you're caught.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 01:25 PM   #1447
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. Going 60-70 on a residential street that is tightly packed with parked cars like that is way worse than going 100 on a highway marked with 80 max.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 06:12 PM   #1448
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dude going too fast, and other car making an illegal u-turn across a solid line. Not a good combo. They both deserve a ticket.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:15 PM   #1449
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
People do that on the street my sister lives on. It's near a major intersection on the #7. During rush hour, the intersection can back up, so some cars turn down the residential side street to try to get around the traffic, and they do it at highway speed sometimes. To make it worse, it's a pretty narrow street with no sidewalks and a daycare. I've seen so many close calls there.

One of the neighbours tried to start a petition to get the city to put in speed bumps because of the danger to kids in the area, but you'd be surprised how many refused to sign stating that they don't have kids and therefore don't care.
Experienced this on the weekend out in Surrey visiting a coworker of my wife's. The road was just packed with cars from illegal suites and people fly down that road. I saw a guy at least doing 70 as we were outside chatting. They don't let their kids play out front because of how nuts it is. You can barely back out of a driveway it is so packed and busy.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 08:16 AM   #1450
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Agreed. Going 60-70 on a residential street that is tightly packed with parked cars like that is way worse than going 100 on a highway marked with 80 max.
When you're backing out of a driveway and there are parked cars on the road blocking visibility, you have almost no chance of seeing a speeding vehicle. Anyone on a residential street should be looking out for cars backing out and driving at a speed that would allow them to stop in time.

Last edited by blankall; 04-30-2024 at 10:15 AM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:45 AM   #1451
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
When you're backing out of a driveway and there are parked cars on the road blocking visibility, you have almost no chance of seeing a speeding vehicle. Anyone on a residential street should be looking out for cars backing out and receiving at a speed that told allow them to stop for them.
Best thing you can do is back into your driveway/garage. I started doing that 25 years ago and I wouldn't go back to the other way.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world