Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #141
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
It cost SJ a 1st to sign him...anyone else can do it for free
What are you trying to say? SJ paid a first for him to play for them for this season. They didn't pay a first to sign him. I was saying the Flames would be wise to sign him if they can in July because he's going to be a Flame killer like Ribiero was if ye plays in the division, or even the west.

Is there a guarantee or something I wasn't aware of that had Kane already signed in SJ?
Old 03-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #142
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kane only costs SJ a first if they re-sign him.
Remember when fans wanted to give up Bennett+ for him? haha, they could have given up a second(which we don't have), only to miss the playoffs and lose him to the highest bidder in summer. Kane will sign where he's paid the most and will continue the same bs that got him run out of two organizations already.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #143
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Ravaged by injuries? No more than any other team in the NHL .
There has been enough media reporting that things are not right behind the seens.
If posters still think it's just a coaching change that needs to be done then they are in for a surprise next season. A coaching change only for next year will get this team to the playoffs but that's about it. At best this fragile bunch of "nice" players would win a game or 2 in the first round.
Can you elaborate on these so-called reports?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #144
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Can you elaborate on these so-called reports?
Rob Kerr has alluded to this. Then there's the Francis puece.
Kerr called it "Rotten" in there.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:48 AM   #145
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Behind the seens.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #146
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I wouldn't fire GG yet. Let the season finish. Only reason I say this is cause you completely embarrass GG firing him at this point (with so little time left) and although he deserves it (since December) its not exactly the way to attract other coaches. Wait till the 1st day the off season starts (day after the last game).
Embarrassing him has nothing to do with it. He's failing at his job as a coach. NOT firing him is failing at the job of being a GM.

Part of being in a high profile, high paid position such as coach of a major league sports team is having your employment status/change in the public eye. It's not embarrassing, it's public. It goes with the territory.

Firing him now sends a message to the rest of the team - abysmal failure isn't tolerated.

I don't see how this has any effect on attracting other coaches to the Flames either. The season is a failure, so the coach gets fired. If the season was going well, or had signs of improvement/positive trends, then firing the coach might be a warning sign to other coaches. This is pretty straightforward in a results based business - complete failure = loss of job.

Think about it from a player perspective. If a player gets called up from the AHL and fails to produce or perform, he gets sent back down. Do you think this is a negative warning sign to other AHL players? Not at all. It says "perform while you're up here or you won't stay up there".
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simon96Taco For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #147
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon96Taco View Post
Embarrassing him has nothing to do with it. He's failing at his job as a coach. NOT firing him is failing at the job of being a GM.

Part of being in a high profile, high paid position such as coach of a major league sports team is having your employment status/change in the public eye. It's not embarrassing, it's public. It goes with the territory.

Firing him now sends a message to the rest of the team - abysmal failure isn't tolerated.

I don't see how this has any effect on attracting other coaches to the Flames either. The season is a failure, so the coach gets fired. If the season was going well, or had signs of improvement/positive trends, then firing the coach might be a warning sign to other coaches. This is pretty straightforward in a results based business - complete failure = loss of job.

Think about it from a player perspective. If a player gets called up from the AHL and fails to produce or perform, he gets sent back down. Do you think this is a negative warning sign to other AHL players? Not at all. It says "perform while you're up here or you won't stay up there".
I look at it a little more practically.

Its all over but the crying, but there are still games to play.

May as well let him see it out. Somebody has to and, unfortunately, the end result doesnt significantly affect the club in any way.

If they lose the rest of their games? Congratulations Islanders.

If they win them? Who cares?

And quite frankly, people screaming about the statistics of Ol' Gul's system saying that they didnt have enough sample size? If 160+ games isnt going to do it then the last 8 really wont matter one way or the other.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #148
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Rob Kerr has alluded to this. Then there's the Francis puece.
Kerr called it "Rotten" in there.
The Francis piece simply singles out some players of his opinion while Kerr's usage of "rotten" was ambiguous. This isn't like the Iginla/Regehr days where there was a divide between some forwards who believed the only way they could contribute was to score and get points while the defense felt they were being hung out to dry too often.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #149
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, I’d like to hear the quote from Kerr.

I can’t imagine him saying things are rotten with the players in the room. I can see him saying that it seems like something is rotten with the team. Which I think we can all see, the question is what is causing it.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #150
harmony
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
lol

So who's going first overall in 2019?
imagine if the isles win it
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #151
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmony View Post
imagine if the isles win it
If the first flames draft pick to ever win the lottery was one we traded to someone else, that might be the Calgary flamiest thing to ever happen.
Rubicant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #152
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Then bugger off! Seriously, what kind of Flames fan sees that as a positive?

Yes.

I was being deadly serious when I posted that.

More serious than I have ever been about anything else ever.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #153
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckFather View Post
Per VANFLAMESFAN all is ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I don't think we need potshots to those fans that are optimistic during the season. This place could use more of that, imo.
I would agree for guys like sportsjunky that were genuine in their positivity, basically saying "I can't be like you guys, I just need to cheer and believe we have a chance".

VFF loves to play the role of "You idiots are upset AGAIN!". He delivered the exact same shot that the quoted poster gave him in almost every PGT. Not a huge deal that he's like that, btw, but I just don't see it as a big deal to rib him a bit the other way.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #154
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The new hire, and there almost certainly will be a new hire will send out all the messages he needs.

A message a couple of weeks before garbage bag day isn’t going to have much lasting effect on the players.

God, what a #### season this has been.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #155
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I don't disagree with anything you are saying. I fully agree he needs to go and it should have been a long time ago. He was the wrong hire from the start. Just being cautious to the way the club may be perceived (rightfully or wrongly).

I don't want to ignore the optics of letting him go with 2 weeks left in the season. The NHL coaching fraternity is a small one, and they all probably talk amongst each other. Calgary has a hard time attracting elite coaches (from what I've heard) as is, and even though its completely the right move to can him, I think they would be better off waiting till the season is over at this point. If it was a month ago, completely different. Thats all I'm saying.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #156
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
What are you trying to say? SJ paid a first for him to play for them for this season. They didn't pay a first to sign him. I was saying the Flames would be wise to sign him if they can in July because he's going to be a Flame killer like Ribiero was if ye plays in the division, or even the west.

Is there a guarantee or something I wasn't aware of that had Kane already signed in SJ?
IIRC SJ paid a second for him to play this season, which turns into a first if they re-sign him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #157
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
That is ridiculously, completely untrue. Hartley took two NHL franchises to the conference finals or better, and won the Jack Adams with another. The five year contract Hartley signed with the Latvian national team probably has more to do with him not being in the NHL than NHL teams not being interested.

GG on the other hand... AHL teams can keep him
Hartley didn't sign a 5 year contract right off the bat. He was first hired in December 2016, after he couldn't get an NHL gig. That was a one season deal. Then he still couldn't get an NHL gig and he signed a five year deal. Most of those foreign coaching contracts have an out clause anyway. He'd be silly not to have it (and monetarily it would likely be worth it to breach anyway).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #158
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Behind the seens.