Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #21
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I'm Ukranian... that's too complicated for me.

then using store bought perogies should be blasphemy!!! you sir are not Ukrainian :P
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #22
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

A favourite of mine is Curried Chicken.

Dice up 2 cooked chicken breasts and place on the bottom of a cassorole dish.

Cook up some fresh broccoli and put on top of the chicken.

In a large bowl add a can of cream of chicken soup plus a half cup of mayonnaise. Mix in 2 tbsp of curry powder. Pour the mixture over the chicken and broccoli.

Next grate some cheddar cheese and sprinkle on top with some bread crumbs.

Bake in the oevn for 30 to 40 minutes and your done.

Serve with rice.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #23
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I made fish in pappillotes tonight (little envelopes of baking parchment) tonight, which is a really nice way of steaming a fish. I used fennel and chunks of fresh orange, just lightly sauteeing the fennel in a pan first, then putting a filet of arctic char on the paper, adding the orange and fennel, sprinkling with salt and pepper. Then role up the edges, and just before you seal the last edge, add a bit of white wine. Put in an oven heated to 500, and cook for 12 minutes. The quality of the fish was fantastic, and the presentation of the wrapped paper is stylish enough to be appropriate for valentine's day.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #24
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
Sauerkraut?

Cook your bacon and then fry onions in the bacon fat. Top the perogies with that and sour cream. And not nasty fat free sour cream.
Yeah. Sauerkraut.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #25
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
A favourite of mine is Curried Chicken.

Dice up 2 cooked chicken breasts and place on the bottom of a cassorole dish.

Cook up some fresh broccoli and put on top of the chicken.

In a large bowl add a can of cream of chicken soup plus a half cup of mayonnaise. Mix in 2 tbsp of curry powder. Pour the mixture over the chicken and broccoli.

Next grate some cheddar cheese and sprinkle on top with some bread crumbs.

Bake in the oevn for 30 to 40 minutes and your done.

Serve with rice.
What temp is the oven at?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #26
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
What temp is the oven at?
350 degrees
Old 02-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #27
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

the one thing i find people forget is that when you cook for yourself, there are no rules. (although some pretty strong guidelines, chicken does not come med rare for example)

don't follow recipes, use them for ideas and starting points for what you might want to do, most chefs work from that, they take what they like and use it in a new way.

If you have chicken breasts, and you see a chicken cordon bleu and a tandoori recipe, why not combine the two and make a tandoori cordon bleu, the worst that can happen is you don't like it, so you try something else next time.

and that guys right about the tongs.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma-skis.com For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #28
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Good tomato sauce starts with red onions and garlic fried in oil. I have a very expensive habit of using extra virgin olive oil for everything, so I'm biased about what oil to use. But I recently discovered that when making hot wings, using canola oil seems to work better than olive oil.

Oh, and cayenne is awesome. If you like spicy, add cayenne to anything you cook. Especially stuff that you simmer (like bolognese sauce).

Your cutting board is your best friend. Your cutting board and your vegetable cutting knife. You cannot shortcut.

Marinating steak is wayyy better than slopping BBQ sauce on it after cooking. A properly prepared steak requires no condiments afterward. Worcestershire sauce is crucial.

For a really awesome salad dressing that isn't balsamic vinegar and olive oil, try the following:

white vinegar, olive oil, mustard... Sorta part for part (to taste)
chopped raw onions
chopped celery
wor sauce (just a bit)
seasoning salt
pepper
lemon juice (just a bit)

Add lettuce, consume, then come back to this thread and thank me.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #29
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sauerkraut?

Cook your bacon and then fry onions in the bacon fat. Top the perogies with that and sour cream. And not nasty fat free sour cream.
Yes....this is my preferred method as well.
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #30
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay....this thread is my new home away from home. Cooking....the second most awesome force in the universe after the Flames.

A couple years ago I splurged and upgraded my "standard equipped" kitchen to a "foody grade" kitchen. Gone were the Electric stove (especially stove top), the cheap collection of crappy pans, all the department store knives, the too small fridge. Added were All-Clad pans, Shun knives (oh my....Shun knives....so awesome), Kenmore Elite Dual Fuel gas range with electric convection oven, Kitchen Aid stand mixer, Cuisinart Food processor, and an assortment of other accessories.

Since then, I have been gradually working towards mastering fundamental techniques and have really developed a massive appreciation for James Beard. His "Theory and Practice of Good Cooking", "Beard on Food", "The Fireside Cook Book" and "American Cookery" are all wonderful. I also get a pile of mileage out of the Americas Test Kitchen Family Cookbook which goes into some nice detail about pitfalls to avoid, or best practices to absorb.

Best thing learned so far is an appreciation for high-quality fresh ingredients and simple but honest and accurate preparation.

Tomorrow is Beef Bourguinon day. I am distrubingly excited about it.

Great thread idea. I shall be camping out here.

Last edited by Biff; 02-15-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #31
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

As per Resolute's perogy post, I always boil then fry. It's really the only way to do it. Kinda like potatoes. Boil them and then put them in tin foil with some fried onions, shredded cheese and butter and toss them on the BBQ for 10 minutes.

And wine is crucial to almost all good suppers. It just is. Red meat and bolognese pasta simply cannot be consumed without red wine.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:51 AM   #32
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Any tips from the resident Italians for how to make a perfect Rissotto?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #33
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Any tips from the resident Italians for how to make a perfect Rissotto?
I second the request. Today, I was mere moments away from buying arborio rice....whatever that is....for a Risotto attempt.

Last edited by Biff; 02-15-2009 at 01:10 AM. Reason: I preferred Sylvan Fan's spelling of the rice word
Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #34
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Here's a risotto tip: don't eat it at the Met.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #35
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I tried my hand at Risotto from scratch tonight and it turned out okay. I failed in buying the fresh sage that the recipe specified. I also screwed up in adding the broth in smaller increments after I added the first bit. But the Arborio rice does seem to work very well.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:37 AM   #36
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Oh, and cayenne is awesome. If you like spicy, add cayenne to anything you cook. Especially stuff that you simmer (like bolognese sauce).
I'm not a big fan of cayenne. Yes, it is spicy but it doesn't have much flavour. I prefer ancho chile spice. Not as hot as cayenne but it adds a nice kind of smoky and fruity taste.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:08 AM   #37
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of cayenne. Yes, it is spicy but it doesn't have much flavour. I prefer ancho chile spice. Not as hot as cayenne but it adds a nice kind of smoky and fruity taste.
I agree with your disagreement. I'm a big fan of Chili paste (sans vinegar), and if you need to go spice ancho is a great way to go, but cayanne always seemed to be hot for the sake of hot, and not for any underlying taste. Which to me isn't really the point, unless you're just masking really awful flavors.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:50 AM   #38
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Good tomato sauce starts with red onions and garlic fried in oil. I have a very expensive habit of using extra virgin olive oil for everything, so I'm biased about what oil to use. But I recently discovered that when making hot wings, using canola oil seems to work better than olive oil.

Your cutting board is your best friend. Your cutting board and your vegetable cutting knife. You cannot shortcut.

Marinating steak is wayyy better than slopping BBQ sauce on it after cooking. A properly prepared steak requires no condiments afterward. Worcestershire sauce is crucial.

For a really awesome salad dressing that isn't balsamic vinegar and olive oil, try the following:

white vinegar, olive oil, mustard... Sorta part for part (to taste)
chopped raw onions
chopped celery
wor sauce (just a bit)
seasoning salt
pepper
lemon juice (just a bit)

Add lettuce, consume, then come back to this thread and thank me.

It does indeed because canola oil, also peanut oil, sesame oil among other oils, all have a higher smoke point than olive oil. They also tend to be lighter oils so they don't impart the taste of the oil into the foods you are cooking.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #39
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I use cayenne pepper when I make dirty rice (with hot italian sausage instead of gizzards and liver).
Old 02-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #40
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
It does indeed because canola oil, also peanut oil, sesame oil among other oils, all have a higher smoke point than olive oil. They also tend to be lighter oils so they don't impart the taste of the oil into the foods you are cooking.
And not all olive oils have the same smoke point. The more pure it is, the lower the smoke point. So cooking with extra virgin olive oil is different than cooking with just regular olive oil.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking , food , kitchen