Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #41
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought game 1 was a total toss up and you knew first goal would be huge. Flames played well locking it down late though.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is nonsense. The Flames started to tilt the ice at the 6:00 or 7:00 mark of the second period, and never looked back.In that time Colorado had six shots courtesy of a couple power plays, and then the Flames outshot them 12-2. Mangiapane didn’t score until 14:00 in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We will agree to disagree.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #43
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the Flames looked alright in OT and probably should have scored a couple before the Avs won it so it gave me some hope for today.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #44
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Totally disagree. The Flames had nothing going on in that game until Mangiapane scored. Nothing outside of a couple of really good shifts from the 3M line. Defensively they weren't bad but their passing was atrocious and the first line was invisible. I was at that game and there's no way you can convince me the Flames were the the better team for the first two periods of that game. Agreed on the 3rd period but IMO that's the only period of this series the Flames were clearly better. Sometimes goaltenders steal games in the playoffs. Flames fans don't need to apologize for this or pretend they were the better team on a night they clearly weren't.
Were you asleep during that game? Flames were clearly the better team in the 2nd half of that game and essentially proved why they're the #1 seed in the west. If the play tonight like they did in the 2nd and 3rd periods of game 1 (and OT of game 2), they'll win.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #45
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Totally disagree. The Flames had nothing going on in that game until Mangiapane scored. Nothing outside of a couple of really good shifts from the 3M line. Defensively they weren't bad but their passing was atrocious and the first line was invisible. I was at that game and there's no way you can convince me the Flames were the the better team for the first two periods of that game. Agreed on the 3rd period but IMO that's the only period of this series the Flames were clearly better. Sometimes goaltenders steal games in the playoffs. Flames fans don't need to apologize for this or pretend they were the better team on a night they clearly weren't.
OK if you were at the game then I must be wrong. Sorry I must have had a bad vantage game from my seat ... at the ... game.

Ironically I think the fan at home probably has the best set of tools at his disposal to have an opinion. Live you get to see it once, from whatever distance with no replays and no PVR.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #46
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Game plan needs to be to play Mackinnon hard. Wack his hands just as much as they wack johnny's. Finish every fkn check on him
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaydee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #47
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
OK if you were at the game then I must be wrong. Sorry I must have had a bad vantage game from my seat ... at the ... game.
At the end of the day people see what you want to see. Just like when someone says player A was great and another says he was terrible. I can tell you nobody outside of Calgary thinks the Flames looked good in the first two games.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #48
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
At the end of the day people see what you want to see. Just like when someone says player A was great and another says he was terrible. I can tell you nobody outside of Calgary thinks the Flames looked good in the first two games.
Man you can be a piece of work.

You're at the game ... so yeah expert.
Now I'm seeing what I want to see.
And you can tell me nobody outside of Calgary agrees with me? How did you manage to get all that polling done?

Meanwhile actual stats backup what I saw, but whatever I'm bought and paid for, and you have seats to the game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #49
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Game plan needs to be to play Mackinnon hard. Wack his hands just as much as they wack johnny's. Finish every fkn check on him
Mackinnon has actually just been standing there taking punishment in scrums, probably because he plays so much and doesn't want to waste more energy in them. If you have a chance to rough him up a bit they should, but they need to be careful to not cross the line and take a penalty. The example would be Hamonic with his forearm pushing him into the glass last game.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #50
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man you can be a piece of work.

You're at the game ... so yeah expert.
Now I'm seeing what I want to see.
And you can tell me nobody outside of Calgary agrees with me? How did you manage to get all that polling done?

Meanwhile actual stats backup what I saw, but whatever I'm bought and paid for, and you have seats to the game.
Why are you getting so upset that we have different viewpoints? I'm sorry you can't convince me that your viewpoint is right and mine is wrong. I know you are a good guy and I like you but kind of a little over the top here.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #51
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why are you getting so upset that we have different viewpoints? I'm sorry you can't convince me that your viewpoint is right and mine is wrong.
He's not upset about the different viewpoint.

Its the fact that you've used not just one, but two make-believe points to diminish his arguments. The statements that you were at the game so you know better, and then claiming to have an omnipotent view of the rest of the league's fan opinions.

Those are ridiculous things to use to back up what you are saying.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #52
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
To say they had nothing going is a bit much. The first period of game 1 was definitely hard to watch, with terrible execution at all ends of the ice. However, the second and third periods were a different story. The team started finding their legs and took the game over from that point on. They looked every bit the part of the #1 seed they are. I saw glimpses of this on Saturday as well, but it was just too few and far in between to amount to enough.

The concerning aspect is that the team has started two home games very poorly and hasn't dominated possession as you'd expect against low playoff seed. Losing last change is a definite concern for me tonight as our preferred match ups haven't even resulted in much in that regard. They are, thus far winning the special teams battle though, which tends to be a big contributor to success in the playoffs. So long as they keep that going in Colorado, they should be in good shape to get back in control.

Tonight is exactly where a player like Monahan needs to step up and show that he's a top line, elite player that can hang with the stars of this league in order for the Flames to take this series back. He'll be seeing a hefty dose of Mackinnon for sure and playing the way he has, which is ok, will simply not be good enough.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 04-15-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #53
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Why are you getting so upset that we have different viewpoints? I'm sorry you can't convince me that your viewpoint is right and mine is wrong. I know you are a good guy and I like you but kind of a little over the top here.
I couldn't care less if you agree with me honestly.

Don't have a lot of time for people that need to make themselves experts and label opposing opinions as "see what you want to see".

It seems you have a bigger issue with me disagreeing with you as I haven't felt the need to discredit, or degrade your views with silliness like "nobody outside of Calgary would agree with you".
Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #54
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I’m hoping the team plays good and not bad. Game one they played great after Mangiapane got them to shake off the jitters. Game two was an abject failure of effort and was pretty depressing to watch. Even then they still almost won so it stands to reason a decent effort tonight should lead to a win. Flames are by far a better team but they have to play that way.

Not a fan of the Jekyll and Hyde way they play and if the GG team shows up again it’s gonna be a short series.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #55
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
To say they had nothing going is a bit much. The first period of game 1 was definitely hard to watch, with terrible execution at all ends of the ice. However, the second and third periods were a different story. The team started finding their legs and took the game over from that point on. They looked every bit the part of the #1 seed they are. I saw glimpses of this on Saturday as well, but it was just too few and far in between to amount to enough.

The concerning aspect is that the team has started two home games very poorly and hasn't dominated possession as you'd expect against low playoff seed. Losing last change is a definite concern for me tonight as our preferred match ups haven't even resulted in much in that regard.

Tonight is exactly where a player like Monahan needs to step up and show that he's a top line, elite player in order for the Flames to take this series back. He'll be seeing a hefty dose of Mackinnon for sure and playing the way he has, which is ok, will simply not be good enough.
When you ask for Monahan to step up what are you expecting? He did score in game 2 but that's typical Monahan in that you don't notice him most of the game and then boom he puts the puck in the net. I don't know if he's the type of guy that's ever going to take over a game or be a threat every single shift. If he has another game where he's silent but scores it's probably a good game for him.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #56
Ullr
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Go to a different thread if you want to discuss your opinions on how the Flames played in game 1 + 2.

This is a GAME DAY THREAD for GAME 3.

F***.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ullr For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #57
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Asked in the series news thread but will also ask here. Anyone know what time the skate is this morning?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:40 AM   #58
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I couldn't care less if you agree with me honestly.

Don't have a lot of time for people that need to make themselves experts and label opposing opinions as "see what you want to see".

It seems you have a bigger issue with me disagreeing with you as I haven't felt the need to discredit, or degrade your views with silliness like "nobody outside of Calgary would agree with you".
Sorry you took offense but I'm one of those that reads opposing forums and the sentiment in other forums was that the Flames look beatable. I just feel like it's a bit strange after those first two games that a lot of Flames fans feel they played okay. I never said I'm an expert. I just voice my opinion.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #59
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry you took offense but I'm one of those that reads opposing forums and the sentiment in other forums was that the Flames look beatable. I just feel like it's a bit strange after those first two games that a lot of Flames fans feel they played okay.
It's not all about you. Less is more.

Go Flames
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #60
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry you took offense but I'm one of those that reads opposing forums and the sentiment in other forums was that the Flames look beatable. I just feel like it's a bit strange after those first two games that a lot of Flames fans feel they played okay. I never said I'm an expert. I just voice my opinion.
No ...

You said you were at the game to make yourself an expert
You said people see what they want to see to discredit those that disagree with you.
You suggested you somehow managed to canvas the rest of the free world and they agreed with you.

That's not just voicing your opinion.