Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #481
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something I noticed last night — with Lindholm on the PK (with Janko), it would often mean Neal would be deployed with Johnny/Mony for their next 5-on-5 shift. Can’t argue with the results (PK was perfect), and I’d rather have Lindholm playing those minutes instead of someone like Bennett or Frolik, but I think it’ll be interesting to track how that goes and if Neal can generate some offence when he gets those opportunities.

Credit to the other PK pair as well (Ryan and Hathaway) — the Avs are pretty good at moving the puck around once they gain the zone, but some of their zone entries are really slow to develop, especially early in the game.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #482
Caboose
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
That lift of the Avs stick by Ryan was pure gold.
I love that people are pointing Ryan's contribution on this play out! It was definitely a smart play and shows how much the fourth line is clicking right now. Plus, it's something I probably wouldn't have noticed, so props to the other posters for picking up on the little things these guys are doing well!
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #483
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Damn onions
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #484
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I felt they had trouble establishing rhythm all through about the first half of the game, and I think it was in part deliberate from Colorado to try keep things kind of scrambly and scrappy, and preferably a bit on the boring side too. Seems like a smart thing to do, especially in Calgary. The pressure was after all much more on the Flames.

It seemed to me that once the messy start to the second period was over, Flames almost went "okay, that's enough of that", and really the first thing they did to start taking over was just calm things down and get all four lines going.

I liked what I noticed Peters do during the game, although to be fair he had kind of a cushy job A goalie that lets nothing in, a lineup with no major defensive faultlines and 3 lines that can score, plus the Jankowski line which could theoretically start scoring in the playoffs.
Agree with this. I feel a big reason for the tentative start may have to do with how they finished the season on cruise control. I think what's key is that while they didn't play very well, they didn't give up very much either. And now the hottest team in the NHL isn't that anymore.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #485
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

All teams have nerves, all teams know that regular season doesn't matter, and the pressure is on some more than others. My buddy st the game made a good point as we were leaving the Dome last night. Previously Flames playoff teams, even regular season teams, loose that game 3 to 1. Smith of course, Hamonic on the 2 on 1,and AVs messing up anothrr couple 2 on 1s. If the AVs score on that early second pp even, totally different game and the nervous looking top two lines squeeze the stick harder.
Even when the Flames has gotten into a groove in the lat half of the second, the AVs were still a shot away from tying.
But got goaltending and defense held until the forwards wore down the Avs.
But it was not inconceivable for that to be a tie game going into the third if the AVs got one.

But they didn't and the Flames can have confidence that the first shaky game is over and they still have a series lead...but need to be able to score, not just hold the run of play.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #486
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Is this the same guy who looked like Santa wearing a Flames Jersey in game 2 vs the Canucks who gave an FU in the celebration following the Flames goal (often GIF'ed in PGT after wins)?

Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #487
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
Is this the same guy who looked like Santa wearing a Flames Jersey in game 2 vs the Canucks who gave an FU in the celebration following the Flames goal (often GIF'ed in PGT after wins)?

No that isn’t Reg.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #488
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
No that isn’t Reg.
Reg has been replaced by another friend with glasses who won’t embarrass her on TV

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #489
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
All 6-7 of those Smitty chants last night were special moments at the 'Dome that night. Cheesy as it sounds, I'll remember that for a long time. You could see it in his demeanor how much it meant to him, and Smitty busted his ass off the entire game.

Kind of embarrassing how he mentioned in is interview that the Smitty chants sounded a lot better then the boos. Boo the game, boo the effort or the outcome. But to chastise a player when he makes a routine save after letting in a couple softies is a dick move on the fans' part. Imagine being humiliated in front of 18,000 people for not doing your job.

I'll admit I got goosebumps during those chants and I'm sure Smit did too. It couldn't have happened to a better guy at that moment.

Funny enough, last time I heard a goalie's name chant that loud was also vs the Avs in Kipper's last season.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #490
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suuuuuper late to the thread, just wanna give a huge shout out to BC Chris for hosting the game lastnight. Great to meet scornfire as well! Have a great pic of Chris’s Avalanche jersey acting as a rug at his front door, just gotta figure out how to post it. Lots of Flames fans here in Kelowna!
Zulu29 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #491
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

Hey! I predicted that Scorpion save in that GT, the way Smith was playing out of his head!
Old 04-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #492
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

CP prays for Reg's return.

Must be fun to know you're going to be on TV every night. Reg took full advantage of this.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:05 PM   #493
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Reg has been replaced by another friend with glasses who won’t embarrass her on TV

#freereg
Old 04-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #494
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Kind of embarrassing how he mentioned in is interview that the Smitty chants sounded a lot better then the boos. Boo the game, boo the effort or the outcome. But to chastise a player when he makes a routine save after letting in a couple softies is a dick move on the fans' part. Imagine being humiliated in front of 18,000 people for not doing your job. .
It’s no small feat to get the Saddledome fans to boo you at home, he almost single handily flushed a very special night down the drain with poor decisions and even weaker goaltending.

I agree 100% he was responsible for the game 1 playoff win and has played great the last month, but if you want to lay a huge egg the night the fans say goodbye to a legend be prepared for the fallout.

Last edited by Yoho; 04-13-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #495
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
It’s no small feet to get the Saddledome fans to boo you at home, he almost single handily flushed a very special night down the drain with poor decisions and even weaker goaltending.

I agree 100% he was responsible for the game 1 playoff win and has played great the last month, but if you want to lay a huge egg the night the fans say goodbye to a legend be prepared for the fallout.
I'm going to also point out that

1) The chants make for a much better story this way. As Cassie said during the game, if this is a made-for-TV movie, those jeers and cheers are the emotional low and high of that story, and you need that low point to make that high really mean something. I'm also sure it was much more emotional for Smith and the whole team, knowing there's nothing about that chant they can take for granted.

2) Things are great now, why wallow in past problems.

Last edited by Itse; 04-13-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #496
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Hartley once said something to the affect of “when I worked at the car factory, no one booed me if I did a bad job. Nobody cheered if I did a good job either.”
Old 04-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #497
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Agree with this. I feel a big reason for the tentative start may have to do with how they finished the season on cruise control. I think what's key is that while they didn't play very well, they didn't give up very much either.
Absolutely.

I also always want to point out, there's two teams on the ice. If we just play the series straight, Colorado loses and they know it. They don't want us rolling those four lines and on paper making this a special teams competition evens the odds for them a lot.

It's why I love not just the win, but the way we won. Beating them solidly both 5-on-5 and with special teams, while winning the goalie battle, that's got to be discouraging.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #498
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
CP prays for Reg's return.

Must be fun to know you're going to be on TV every night. Reg took full advantage of this.
Clearly Reg and his wife are splitting the games and taking friends. I'm sure we'll be seeing Reg with an equally truculent friend in the future
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #499
JohnnyBeGood
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
Out of thanks, but this brought tears to my eyes.. the power of positivity can go very far for all of the players. I feel sick every time I see a negative thread about a player, because it makes the player's confidence plummet when he thinks the fans aren't behind him. Sooo good to see the support for Smith, and the fact that he recognizes it hopefully will make fans more cognizant of being more supportive if they want their team to win.
Totally agree - this is our job as fans, right? We Billieve!
JohnnyBeGood is offline   Reply With Quote