Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 02-25-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Players that you think have played their final year with the Flames? (18-19 Edition)

Mike Smith
Michael Frolik
Dalton Prout
Curtis Lazar
TJ Brodie
Michael Stone
TheRealPepman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheRealPepman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 05:55 PM   #2
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie
Smith
Frolik
Prout.

Maybe even Rittich.

Treliving has his asset management skills cut out for him this offseason.

One thing I do know, hes not trading players younger than 25. Today re affirmed that for me. He could have. He didn't. Wise fellow that Flames GM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be surprised to see the Flames trade Brodie. That is trading their #2 defencemen in consecutive years. I am not convinced that Andersson can handle that role full time - if he doesn't, that would be a huge hole to fill.

Prout I can see returning as well. He has been decent given his role. He is cheap. He is also a low-maintenance guy who knows and accepts his role on the team. If the Flames can't find another cheap replacement for him, I would be fine with bringing him back on the same contract.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I will be surprised to see the Flames trade Brodie. That is trading their #2 defencemen in consecutive years. I am not convinced that Andersson can handle that role full time - if he doesn't, that would be a huge hole to fill.

Prout I can see returning as well. He has been decent given his role. He is cheap. He is also a low-maintenance guy who knows and accepts his role on the team. If the Flames can't find another cheap replacement for him, I would be fine with bringing him back on the same contract.
Brodie is not the #2 d man on this team. I’d say 4-5
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t see Frolik or Stone being moved this summer. Those are the type of guys you look to add at the deadline and their return over the summer would be minimal.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:18 PM   #6
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie is our #2 because of his chemistry with Giordano. I think that’s why he gets moved because if you look at his stats he has high value. But as soon as you remove him from Giordano he falls off the map. I believe they call it the Crosby effect. Andersson has shown he can slot up into Brodie’s spot pretty seemlessly. I’d say move Brodie in the offseason to create more room for our up and coming D. I also suspect he does not stay a top 2 dman on any team he goes too.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #7
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Smith
Stone
Prout

I think Frolik will depend on his playoff performance. With the deadline passed I think he will play loads of important minutes with 3M and if he can play at a high level (which I believe he will) Tre won’t be quick to ship him out to clear salary.
Fire in the disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:24 PM   #8
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garnet Hathaway
Pending UFA having a career year in shooting percentage, and is really just a 12th forward. We let him walk to whoever gives him money and let Lazar or someone else cheap take on his role without skipping a beat.

Michael Frolik
Unhappy player who is prone to bad penalties. Might care positive value depending on how he plays in the playoffs and rest of the season, but either way we need to dump his cap.

Michael Stone
Can't pay 3.5M for a #7D and that's what Stone has become for us.

Dalton Prout
Prout has to feel this season was solid for rebuilding himself as an NHL Dman after New Jersey sent him to rot in the minors. He will get an offer and opportunity elsewhere to be some bad team's "Engelland" and he will take it.

James Neal
Just has not fit at all, and even if he gets hot I can't see the Flames wanting to commit four more seasons to such a risky commodity. Might be tough to move without taking some salary back though.

And maybe Mike Smith, but a lot depends on how he finishes the season. He'll be back if he or his contributions to the tandem get us to the WCF or better. Otherwise we will move on.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-25-2019 at 07:05 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #9
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thread seems premature, non?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #10
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Why, because they had to bring in Prout for a game and used Brodie to spread out the NHL calibre D?

Lol
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #11
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long we don't lose Brodiefan as a poster, that would suck.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:37 PM   #12
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
He's our top pairing RD, and nobody else on the team can replace him at this time. Gio's monster year is due in part to his ability to freely pinch because he knows that Brodie has the speed and positioning to cover for him if he makes a bad pinch. Nobody else on the team who plays the right side can do that. Maybe Kylington if you could transplant him onto the right side, but it is rare to find a D who likes to play on the off side. Stone, Hamonic and Andersson are all too slow to play that role. Valimaki is slated to be Gio's eventual replacement, not his partner, and I'm sure they want to continue to develop him on the left side.

I know Brodie does lose his man sometimes and can make some risky passes in the D zone, but he makes the best transitional passes out of anyone on the team, and I don't of know anyone in the league who recovers better in the event of a failed pinch.

Basically, if Brodie is being moved out, it will be for someone like Brodie.

Last edited by Macindoc; 02-25-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #13
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you imagine if the Flames brought Smith back for another year on a cheap contract, citing limited options on the market that fit the team's salary cap situation?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #14
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Why, because they had to bring in Prout for a game and used Brodie to spread out the NHL calibre D?

Lol
Well no. From a pure asset management POV it's the most logical course of action.

Gio can pretty much play with anyone and make them better. And as much as people are really trying to either temper their expectations or just simply sell Rasmus Andersson short, hes fully capable of playing top 4 minutes .

We have one hell of a future on D, we have ample vets with Gio, Hammer and even Hanifin. We're set.

Brodie will garner a return that will help the flames elsewhere.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #15
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
He's our top pairing RD, and nobody else on the team can replace him at this time. Gio's monster year is due in part to his ability to freely pinch because he knows that Brodie has the speed and positioning to cover for him if he makes a bad pinch. Nobody else on the team who plays the right side can do that. Maybe Kylington if you could transplant him onto the right side, but it is rare to find a D who likes to play on the off side. Stone, Hamonic and Andersson are all too slow to play that role. Valimaki is slated to be Gio's eventual replacement, not his partner, and I'm sure they want to continue to develop him on the left side.

I'm sorry but the only part I agree with any of this is the Valimaki bit.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #16
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too early for this convo, lots will happen from now till the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #17
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Thank you.

The only way TJ Brodie is moved is if the team gets an offer they can't resist for a young RD that belongs on the top pair. If Toronto offers Liljegren or Winnipeg offers RFA Trouba, that's the only situation where we move Brodie.

People who don't like Brodie's occasional turnovers are missing the forest for the trees.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #18
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Well no. From a pure asset management POV it's the most logical course of action.

Gio can pretty much play with anyone and make them better. And as much as people are really trying to either temper their expectations or just simply sell Rasmus Andersson short, hes fully capable of playing top 4 minutes .

We have one hell of a future on D, we have ample vets with Gio, Hammer and even Hanifin. We're set.

Brodie will garner a return that will help the flames elsewhere.

You make a case around his future related to asset management, which is fine, and that, while debatable, could merit discussion.

Saying he is a 4 or 5 guy on this team is simply charging out of the gates proudly wrong.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:03 PM   #19
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Thank you.

The only way TJ Brodie is moved is if the team gets an offer they can't resist for a young RD that belongs on the top pair. If Toronto offers Liljegren or Winnipeg offers RFA Trouba, that's the only situation where we move Brodie.

People who don't like Brodie's occasional turnovers are missing the forest for the trees.
Disagree. Brodie I think will be moved because he's a pending UFA along with Hamonic, there is a salary cap and the Flames have three excellent D prospects. While Rasmus Andersson is still a raw prospect it's not unheard of for a good quality young player to play on the top pairing along with the star. Chara for example is famous for having various rookie partners. My knowledge doesn't go back very far but loads was made of Hamilton playing with Chara to start his career, now he's carrying another young player in Charlie McAvoy.

I understand you're not a big believer in Rasmus (I am) but Timothy Liljegren is an odd suggestion for the type of player the Flames couldn't resist adding to the top pair. The guy was down in the ECHL just a month ago for a game. He might be a star but right now he's rawer then Kylington.

Trouba's an interesting suggestion, he'll get a massive raise however and I can't see how that deal happens. Hell Winnipeg might be a team to move Brodie to but considering Myers is a UFA they don't want to be swapping D around too much.

My thoughts
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #20
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Brodie
Frolik
Smith
Stone
Prout
Mangiapane

I think that's about it. Would leave the roster like this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - someone
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal
Dube - Ryan - Czarnik
Hathaway

Giordano - someone
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Kylington/Fantenberg

Rittich
someone

Three holes to fill. Think the Flames might sign a bigger-name UFA defender this summer.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote