Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #21
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totally fine with seeing how the landscape has shifted after the trades. I'm glad the Flames didn't go nuts. They're already fun to watch and playing well.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #22
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’m fine we stood pat. We’re early with this group due to solid contracts. The only negative to tre is his free agent signings. Other then that he has been golden. Knowing tre he probably has a few fires going for the draft. Let’s just get out of the first round
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:32 PM   #23
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Wait Scorp, weren't you the one getting mad at Treliving for not giving up Valimaki?
Not really. You're somewhat right in that I might've been ok with giving up Valimaki alone for Stone without the first attached, which was my initial reaction when I saw the package that Vegas gave up for Stone.

That was before I saw what Stone's price-tag was for his re-signing, which, at $9.5 million, was higher than I expected. Now, after more reflection, I'm more than happy with standing pat. Giving up Valimaki AND giving Stone that contract would not have been a good case of asset management.

Also, either way, giving up multiple big assets would probably have been a bad idea.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:34 PM   #24
gilligans_off
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not giving up our best D prospect when our lovable rock and captain is now 35 is a smart move. We have far to much coming up to pay a guy $9.5mill a year. I’m pleased with this teams success so far and feel we’re doing just fine with the team we have.
gilligans_off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #25
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have no issues with the Flames lack of moves today. No need to panic and do something

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #26
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Not really. You're somewhat right in that I might've been ok with giving up Valimaki alone for Stone without the first attached, which was my initial reaction when I saw the package that Vegas gave up for Stone.

That was before I saw what Stone's price-tag was for his re-signing, which, at $9.5 million, was higher than I expected. Now, after more reflection, I'm more than happy with standing pat. Giving up Valimaki AND giving Stone that contract would not have been a good case of asset management.

Also, either way, giving up multiple big assets would probably have been a bad idea.
So you reacted one way, then in time changed your opinion and, instead of posting in one of the topical threads, felt you should make a new thread telling people they shouldn't react how you initially reacted with the implication that that wouldn't be reasonable?

Is that pretty much where we're at here?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #27
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dillon Dube and Valimaki are damn good players, they don’t get a lot of hype in the hockey world for being top end prospects but they are. I watched both quite a bit when they would come to Victoria in their junior careers and they both always impressed. I’m no scout but seeing the progression each has made since they got drafted tells me it would be very dumb to get rid of these two assets that will help supplement this roster, just like Tampa has done.

Speaking of Tampa, I don’t remember them making big splashes at deadline day until last season. They held onto their picks and played the long game and now they are world beaters. Flames are on their way as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #28
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

This feels like those years where Jets fans got a bit frustrated regarding their GM not making bold moves.

Stay the course. We're already the best team in the Western Conference. Let's see just how battle ready our current mix is. I'm ecstatic that we kept Kylington, Andersson, Valimaki, Mangiapane, and Dube.

We now go into the draft with Frolik and Brodie on the trade table and our own 1st. No reason to think we can't turn Brodie into a 1st and a 2nd, and Frolik into a 3rd - giving us cap-space for long-term deals with Bennett and Tkachuk, while letting our young defence flourish:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett/?????
?????/Bennett - Jankowski - Neal
Mangiapane - Ryan - Czarnik

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kylington - Valimaki
Stone

????
Rittich

With rumours of Quick being moved at the draft, I wonder if that isn't an avenue we go down to again allow Rittich/Parsons/Gillies/Schneider/McDonald time to continue to develop in various different roles throughout the organization.

...oh, and yeah - Taylor Hall is probably hitting free agency in 2020.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #29
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
I agree with this 100%. Although we missed a chance to add a piece, I'm still very excited about the group that we have and I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys can do in the playoffs.

I think we match up well against any team right now, even with their additions.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #30
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also comes down to, Would we rather have Stone over Tkachuk? I sure as hell wouldn't want Stone over Chucky.

No way in hell can Calgary afford two heavy contracts next season.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #31
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Notice that Tampa Bay didn't really make a move.

Why break chemistry when you are the second best team in the league?
All the best players are already belong to them
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #32
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I love trades. Posting ideas in the trade thread is one of my favourite things to do. It's always cool to debate new line combinations or debate the best fits at a certain position.

Vegas fans get to talk about how Mark Stone will fit in their lineup. Dallas hockey fans will debate how Mats Zuccarello will change their lines once he returns. Winnipeg can talk about Kevin Hayes and Nashville can go nuts over Simmonds and that other guy they got, I can't even remember his name.

Congratulations to those teams. They paid assets to improve this year. They did so out of necessity.

The Calgary Flames did not select in the first round in the 2018 NHL draft, missing out on guys like Noah Dobson and Joel Farabee and K'Andre Miller because of it. They have Travis Hamonic, who's a very good player, but to maintain a window, teams always need to be adding to their lineups with an eye to the future.

Trading a second-rounder for a guy like Gustav Nyquist is a shiny move for San Jose, but it's also the move of a team looking solely towards the present. With guys like Erik Karlsson and Joe Pavelski expiring after the year, they have to be all-in. Columbus and Nashville are operating under similar mindsets.

Those teams are adding because they have teams to catch. And this is where the Flames come in. Because before you call for Treliving to be fired and for Valimaki or Kylington to be traded in the summer for more forwards, just remember this...

...and think, are the Flames the team that needs to catch up, or is it everybody else?

The Flames are the best team in the West, and they're primed to add yet another excellent prospect with their first-rounder this summer.
Love the optimism but let's not go all blue sky on how the Flames are way out in front of everyone else and they "are chasing us". These teams aren't all thinking "well, the cup goes through Calgary, so we need to get better to compete".

I guarantee you the guys in the San Jose locker room don't believe that.

We didn't make a move today and I am fine with that. But we are the only team that didn't and the others got better. When you look at it on paper, that is a lot of fire power that just moved into the top 5 seeds in the west. And, Stone being traded in our division is not optimal. The day could have been better for sure.

It is what it is. We are hosting our first playoff series since '05-'06 and have a ton of organizational depth and a very manageable cap situation going forward.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:44 PM   #33
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
So you reacted one way, then in time changed your opinion and, instead of posting in one of the topical threads, felt you should make a new thread telling people they shouldn't react how you initially reacted with the implication that that wouldn't be reasonable?

I didn't change my opinion based on nothing. For Stone as a rental, Brannstrom and a 2nd seemed like a low price to pay, and I reacted initially as such. I had expected first-rounders, so there was an initial shock involved in not seeing one.

But Stone's contract demands and subsequent agreement to terms completely changed my opinion, because they were quite radical. I doubt Treliving wanted to give up anything substantial for a player asking that much because it would completely mess up the cap structure. Looking long-term, trading Valimaki and then torpedoing the cap structure with Stone at $9.5 would be an awful decision to make.

Anyway, I didn't create this thread because the Flames didn't get Stone. I've seen people on here and other places suggesting that Treliving should be fired or at least criticized heavily for his inaction today. Regarding your point about posting this in an existing thread, I originally intended to post this in the "Treliving should feel the heat" thread but it was locked.

You can call it sanctimonious or whatever. Not the intent. Is Darren Haynes being sanctimonious when he posts this tweet?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1100132035518259200

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 02:44 PM   #34
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Since 2006 over 500 players were traded ( on trade deadline) and only 7 got their names on the SC that year. That's like 1.4%! So if Fanta doesn't play enough games to be eligible, we are in good shape.
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:44 PM   #35
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

We all have to realize too that we are not going to be playing every single team in the playoffs that made a move.

To win the SC, you play against 3 teams in the same conference, and one in the other. 16-28 games.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #36
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

if all the speculation/rumours are to be believed....

when the price for Stone was too high, he tried for Simmonds.
when Simmonds wouldn't waive NTC for CGY, he tried for Zucker.
when Frolik wouldn't waive his NTC to go to MIN, he decided he was done for the day.

IF, large IF 'cause I don't know how reliable any of those sources are, then that's a GM who tried to improve things, didn't see a deal he liked and the ones he did fell apart, and eventually stood pat.

Not the worst thing.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #37
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can call it sanctimonious or whatever. Not the intent. Is Darren Haynes being sanctimonious when he posts this tweet?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1100132035518259200
Dunno, trying to find his tweet from 20 minutes earlier where he said we should have traded Valimaki.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 02:47 PM   #38
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I predict Treliving will break CP on July 1st!
God i hope not...his UFA stuff hasnt been very good.

Now June 21st? Hell yeah I hope he lights this place up.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #39
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post

I saw his posts in the Stone thread as well but I think it's still a good topic because some fans seem to be disappointed the Flames didn't go big game hunting. To me it doesn't matter who the original poster is or how he came to his conclusion as long as he's settled down and realized that this is not the end of the world and the Flames are still a cup contender in the West and hopefully for years to come. We don't need to degenerate every thread into attacking certain posters.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #40
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
if all the speculation/rumours are to be believed....

when the price for Stone was too high, he tried for Simmonds.
when Simmonds wouldn't waive NTC for CGY, he tried for Zucker.
when Frolik wouldn't waive his NTC to go to MIN, he decided he was done for the day.

IF, large IF 'cause I don't know how reliable any of those sources are, then that's a GM who tried to improve things, didn't see a deal he liked and the ones he did fell apart, and eventually stood pat.

Not the worst thing.
interesting is this confirmed?...too bad, as i would have liked the zucker acquisition... Not much you can do as Treliving if players aren't willing to waive though.

i see Valimaki as an add because he hasn't played for Calgary in 2 months...so he truly is a 'new' piece that will be added for the playoffs.

not sure if Dube can be called up, but he could be another 'add'...

just have to hope that Neal can actually become 'Real Deal Neal' and that Czarnik continues with his scoring touch.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote