Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: In accordance with the stipulated conditions, what should the Flames do by Monday?
Add top 6 forward and give up major assets 82 29.71%
Add depth forward and give up minor asset 60 21.74%
Add depth Dman and give up minor asset 25 9.06%
Add starting goalie and give up major assets 6 2.17%
Add backup goalie and give up minor asset 7 2.54%
Stand pat with no moves at deadline since we are deep and have a long contender window 90 32.61%
Sell something at deadline for offseason cap space relief and a draft pick given how deep the team is 6 2.17%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #21
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m 100% in agreement with what Cali Panther Fan has stated.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:22 AM   #22
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I agree with all this, but I do have reservations about Frolik who has one assist in his last eight playoff games. So if we can swap him for a Namestnikov type I'd be stoked.

Oh and I want Ferland back but only if we can dump Neal's salary.
While I liked Ferland vs the Canucks that series, he was often a passenger on that line. Look what Lindholm (who has amazing talent) has done in Ferland's place. Ferland on the current roster would be fighting Mangiapane, Hathaway and Quine for a spot. I don't see the point.

Good while he was here, but no fit now, move on.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #23
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Add a beefier forward - someone with muscle and power to clear defenders. Minor asset given up only.
Flames already have two of them in their system - Lazar and Rychel. No need to give up assets for another grinder IMO.
playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #24
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My pick:

Don't throw away valuable assets for a pure rental.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #25
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Trade for Stone or Zuccarello and a middle-six centre like Brassard. With extra priority given to the former.

Bring up Quine, Graovac, Dube, Rychel, Valiev, and Valimaki.
Better buy a bigger popcorn machine.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #26
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The big names will be a disappointment. Get the secondary guys at a reasonable price will be a much better bang for your buck.
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #27
Brodie66
Backup Goalie

Exp:

1 and 4 all in 2 win
Brodie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #28
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

The guys who win at Poker, are the ones who take risks. Also, you'll never know how the team would look like next season in terms of how they perform and if there's any multiple key injuries.

With that said, we know in the now we have the 2nd best team in the league and the best shot at the cup since 2004

Go. All. In
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:18 PM   #29
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stay the course. The team is in 2nd place. Chemistry is great. Depth is coming through. The D looks great. Goaltending is one question mark. But there's no guarantee a newcomer plays well. For all we know he struggles mightily and screws things up. Smith seems to have turned a corner. Rittich is dependable and lies in wait. When Neal comes back, he's effectively our deadline acquisition and hopefully he starts to pick things up. I would actually be fine with trading Neal for a better player/contract. But that's going to be hard to do and I truly believe Neal will shine in the playoffs.

I have no issue with the Flames' keeping things as they are. Our upgrades were acquired during the summer anyways, so really they got a 7 month head start to familiarize themselves with the team. The results is now a 2nd overall place team. Enjoy the ride and don't screw around with it!

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 02-23-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #30
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

1. Add top 6 forward and give up major assets

I would give up our first, a conditional first, and two prospects for Stone if I knew he’d sign here for a number that allows me to keep all of the core including resigning Bennett, Tkachuk, and a goalie in the summer. Probably not possible.

The rest to me are rentals. I would give up our first since it’s almost a 2nd but not a lot more.

2. Add depth forward and give up minor asset

For someone tough and very grittty. Yes

3. Add depth Dman and give up minor asset

See above.

4. Add starting goalie and give up major assets

No. I can’t do that now. Concerned about team psyche and chemistry. It would have to be a young superstar starter. Don’t see one that would move.

5. Add backup goalie and give up minor asset

Only one who is waiver exempt. So I can call up for emergency. So probably no one that fits.

6. Stand pat with no moves at deadline since we are deep enough and have a long contender window to consider

No, probably adding a bit of depth.

7. Sell something at deadline for offseason cap space and a draft pick given how deep the team is

Well maybe sure. Not sure there will be takers but I’d definitely move Stone if the right opportunity arose. Not Frolik though. I’d love if I could move Stone in a package where a UFA depth player was coming back.
Willi Plett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #31
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Would ad aquire starting goalie for minor assets. Something similar to when LA got Bishop for peanuts. Otherwise stand pat. I like our depth and goaltending is a crapshoot in the playoffs.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #32
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I want Hayes. I think he'd be a perfect fit for a run. Good hands, good advanced stats, huge, PK/PP, Johnny connection. Would really give a ton of options for shuffling lines around in the top 6. But only at a reasonable price, because I don't believe he would sign here.

So, not a 1st, not a top tier prospect. What do you guys think his value is? 2nd rounder? Foo+? Conditional pick?
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #33
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 and/or 3 for me. Mostly want one more vet with legit playoff experience. If Kronwall wants to come, he'd be great (only better if he were RHS, but pretty sure he's capable of playing either side). I could imagine Detroit being interested in Stone in the summer, so maybe our

Either Ferland or even Justin Williams would have been awesome, but I don't see Carolina moving either when they are so close.

A name I haven't heard much on, but that intrigues me a lot is Adam Henrique. I think a hybrid C/W would be great, but RW is where we could use more help. But if a C were to go down to injury, Henrique is probably a better option to move over than Bennett or Ferland. If we lose Backlund or Monahan, we're hooped anyways, though.

Zuccarello or Hayes serve very different functions. I feel like Hayes helps more getting through the western conference, but Zuccarello might be better against the Lightning in the finals. Pretty hard to plan for that eventuality, but Zuc seems like more of a swiss army knife that can do whatever necessary on any line.

If the cost isn't too tremendous, I'd love Wayne Simmonds. I think he could be very, very motivated to prove his value for July 1. After Lucic and Neal, I can imagine teams being very wary of paying him. I bet he'd bust his ass to get teams salivating, though.

In the end, I don't think this team is ready to win the cup. I think you spend minor assets to maximize you're chances of the 3rd or 4th round, with an eye to shoring up a position of weakness for next season. Zuccarello fits that bill. If he clicks and the number is right, he is the only 'rental' who I can see having a strong chance of staying here.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #34
badger89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

6. Stand Pat
badger89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #35
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

6. Im with Pat as well.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The guys who win at Poker, are the ones who take risks. Also, you'll never know how the team would look like next season in terms of how they perform and if there's any multiple key injuries.

With that said, we know in the now we have the 2nd best team in the league and the best shot at the cup since 2004

Go. All. In
The guys who win at poker do so because they are good at reading other players, are great at math and understanding the odds for making hands or not, have phenomenal memories for the history of the hand, and because they play a long game. They go all in when they either think they have the best hand or know the other guy can’t call because of the pot situation.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #37
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

69. Get a boner for Stoner
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:02 PM   #38
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I say stand pat.

If the Flames have a catastrophic playoff failure this year, it would be a genuine surprise. This is the 2nd best team in the league, and they've been continually meeting and surpassing expectations all year. I say let them run. The only team I doubt they could beat in a 7 game series is Tampa Bay. Anyone else they can beat, even the best in the West.

Stand pat and hold onto the future assets.
If the Flames come out of the West in the playoffs this spring, I think the likelihood that they'll have to face the Bolts is very high. And for the reason that I don't think they can out score or out defend the Bolts in 7 games, I think they need to upgrade.

Hayes, Kreider, Nyquist and Zuccarello will all push the needle towards being able to do so.

I like the defence, but I think Kronwall could make them better. I don't see an option to upgrade goaltending with Carolina in the playoff picture so those are pretty much the targets.

I think you need to come away from the trade deadline with one of the those assets without trading from your 18 man roster.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #39
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think our goaltending situation has stabilized.

I think our defenceman situation is improving with Stone getting healthier, Prout playing well and Valimaki waiting in the wings.

The only piece I think we could use is a top 6 winger to push Frolik down.

Outside of that I think we are strong everywhere else.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #40
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
If the Flames come out of the West in the playoffs this spring, I think the likelihood that they'll have to face the Bolts is very high. And for the reason that I don't think they can out score or out defend the Bolts in 7 games, I think they need to upgrade.

Hayes, Kreider, Nyquist and Zuccarello will all push the needle towards being able to do so.

I like the defence, but I think Kronwall could make them better. I don't see an option to upgrade goaltending with Carolina in the playoff picture so those are pretty much the targets.

I think you need to come away from the trade deadline with one of the those assets without trading from your 18 man roster.
I'm hoping for a TB vs PIT first round matchup, not only because I think the Pens could knock them out but because it would be entertaining as £#€%.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post: