Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2019, 11:43 AM   #61
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't think players are built like that. Much more likely, he will agonize about missing games with his best friends. He will miss out on road trips and team building. He—like all players—sees himself as an integral part of the team's success, and if they are playing well I think it considerably more probable that he will want to be part of it than to sit on the sidelines.
That pressure point will go both ways.

The best negotiators are dispassionate and have a keen appreciation what is motivating the other party. Does missing games hurt Tkachuk more than the Flames? I'm not so sure about that. Nylander is just one example, and while it appeared to hurt his on ice play, it worked out well for him financially.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #62
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flames would go back to a one line team with any kind of absence from Chucky. The real effects of him not in the line up can't be understated. It does go both ways.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #63
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Tre is able to work his magic, but it looks like we will start seeing more 4/5 year contracts from this year.

It also has been mentioned by media that this might be the actual way forward with the new CBA. Max contract lengths might be dropped even further from 8 years to 6.

Makes sense since players are becoming important players or stars at a much earlier point than before. Even defensemen are making the league and sticking at a younger age. Hanifin, Kylington, Andersson, Valimaki are all 21 or younger, this wouldn't happened 10 or even 5 years back.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #64
Darth Tkachuk
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tkachuk is not at the same level as Matthews. Problem is, he's not at a level that's 3 million dollars a year under Matthews. So he's probably asking for 10. If we get him under 9, BT is truly a wizard.
Darth Tkachuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #65
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Tkachuk View Post
Tkachuk is not at the same level as Matthews. Problem is, he's not at a level that's 3 million dollars a year under Matthews. So he's probably asking for 10. If we get him under 9, BT is truly a wizard.

Yeah, he really is. Matt is a good player and all, but Matthews can take games over in ways Tkachuk just can't. Matthews has a superior game in every way with the exception of stirring the crap.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #66
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If that tire fire offers you 4 1st's for Tkachuk you take it and laugh all the way to the draft
And use the cap savings to sign Stone.

Generally, I would be very much against letting Tkachuk be taken away for 4 1st round picks, but if it's Ottawa? Maybe a different story.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:10 PM   #67
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
And use the cap savings to sign Stone.

Generally, I would be very much against letting Tkachuk be taken away for 4 1st round picks, but if it's Ottawa? Maybe a different story.
I would lean to taking the picks. If you have confidence in your scouts you should be able to parlay eight 1st round picks in a four year span into multiple high quality players. Also would provide a lot of flexibility to move up in any of those drafts if inclined.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #68
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think five years would be fine. That’s the window.

After that there will have to be a reload. Moving one of these guys a few year from now before they go UFA might be the way to do that.

I think we will have contract crisis for defense men between now and then too. We have a few young D that are going to need to get PAID.

Last edited by Badgers Nose; 02-07-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #69
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i will just leave this here to be discussed - not saying this should be the only metric used for MT'sd next contract, but it was somewaht easy to put together - blah the table looks terrible, but hopefully it is readable

The numbers below were taken from Hockey DB and are for the regular NHL season only:

Player Games Played Points Points per Game
Marner 212 195 .920
Matthews 183 179 .978
Nylander 210 144 .686
Point 202 172 .851
Tkachuk 197 154 .782
Johnny 365 362 .992
Connor 261 334 1.28
Crosby 914 1177 1.288
Laine 208 169 .813
Old 02-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #70
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Matt is right. Matthews has set the bar. Now Matt has to appreciate he is no Auston Matthews. Let's keep it real Matt. Let's also keep our eye on the prize, and that's making a fair salary while having a chance to win. That is a bar McDavid set that you want no part of.
Even with some BT magic, I still think Tkachuk is going to get PAID. His dad is infamous for being a tough negotiator, and he's one of the highest grossing players of all time. That family ain't no dummies, and will take what they can. I have no problem with that.

But I really hate hearing how the latest big contract is suddenly ''the bar''. Why is Matthews his comparable? How about a bar like say, Pastrnak? Didn't put up big numbers his first couple seasons, had injury issues like Tkachuk did. They both exploded in their 3rd season. Pastrnak signs a very team friendly contract. So why can't he be the comparable? Matthews is a C and undoubtedly their main franchise player. Tkachuk is great, but not quite at the same level IMO.

I remember when Draisatl signed, suddenly he was "the bar". Pastrnak signed after him to a much better deal, and fans/GMs everywhere thanked him for setting "the bar" at a much more reasonable rate.

Comparable wingers like Pastrnak or even Kucherov can be the magic ''bar''. Not friggin' Austin Mathews.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #71
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not ragging on OP for starting the thread as discussion is always welcome, but to me that quote is nothing. He was likely asked a related question and then answered it. No real insight gained in his answer, for me at least
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #72
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would take 4 firsts and cap space over MT at 9-10M

You could start wheeling and dealing those picks from day one and throw money at Stone ect.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #73
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Offer sheets are almost exclusively fan conversation at this point. There have been 8 total signed in the last 21 years, and a whopping 1 went unmatched. There hasn’t been one signed in 6 years.

My offer sheet concern with Tkachuk is at a firm zero.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #74
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

“I feel like Messi’s $111m/yr deal, with an $800m buyout clause, is really my best comparable.”
Old 02-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #75
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Offer sheets are almost exclusively fan conversation at this point. There have been 8 total signed in the last 21 years, and a whopping 1 went unmatched. There hasn’t been one signed in 6 years.

My offer sheet concern with Tkachuk is at a firm zero.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #76
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Leafs are paying Matthews based on hype and projections. They fully expect him to win the Art Ross at least once within the next few years.

I love Tkachuk, but I don't think too many people expect that from him.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #77
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

7.5M for 6 please, likely going to get 8.5
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #78
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
https://www.tsn.ca/tkachuk-matthews-...-bar-1.1253751

So this negotiation is going to be fascinating. Not sure how Tkachuk can get paid $8m+ on a team where the rest of the core is getting less than $7m. I'm starting to think the way this comes full circle is with Tkachuk signing a 3-4 year contract at $6.7m to keep him on the same footing as Giordano and Johnny - and arguably that's how important Tkachuk is to this team.

Three years would take him to one year before free agency. Four years would allow the Johnny and Tkachuk contracts to reset together as Giordano comes off the books. It would also make a lot of sense - Gio comes off the books and retires. Johnny gets an "A" and Tkachuk gets a "C" and they both get new contracts like Toews and Kane did. It also gives Tkachuk the option to bolt to free agency very early if he want to...
UFA Gaudreau to Philly
UFA Tkachuk to St.Louis

Goodbye Core.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #79
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wish we had locked Gaudreau in for 8 years. Because now we've finally got things together but he only has a couple years left after this, which essentially becomes our window with the flight risk of him going back closer to home when his deal expires.

Feel the same with Tkachuk. 8 Might be tough, but if they can pull off 7 years for 7.5-8.5. that would be the sweet spot.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #80
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
https://www.tsn.ca/tkachuk-matthews-...-bar-1.1253751

Not sure how Tkachuk can get paid $8m+ on a team where the rest of the core is getting less than $7m.
Because this is a different time and a economic environment. The days of Detroit where no one was paid more than Lidstrom are long gone. The cap continues to rise and the game is younger so players are being paid based more on projection rather than current performance.

Tkachuk and Matthews are friends and everyone including Johnny knows that Johnny is criminally underpaid at this point. If anything this will motivate Tkachuk to get fair market value. Would you take less money at your own job because someone else signed a contract 3 years ago?
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote