Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #201
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

a 3rd + a 5th is very disappointing. I knew a 1st was going to be unrealistic, but not even a 2nd ... that sucks. Glad it's finally over though and I understand why there wasn't a bigger market to drive up the price. In the end, the Steelers didn't have a strong hand here.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #202
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not sure how anyone can spin this as a bad trade for the Raiders. To get arguably the best receiver in the league and a sure HOF player for a 3rd and a 5th is robbery. The $30 million guaranteed isn't nearly as high as the supposed contract demands were. It could still blow up if Brown doesn't get back to business but I feel he's a guy with a chip on his shoulder that's going to want to go out and prove he's still one of the best outside that offense. If you set the bar low and get 3 x 1000 yard seasons out of this deal it's still a total win.
Value wise, its a steal. A 3rd and a 5th for a talent like that is unprecedented. .

However, he is also the single biggest diva in the game, and unquestionably has thrown team mates under the bus because he didnt get his way. The effect that will have on what was a really bad football team already, remains to be seen but the chances he is a guy that helps them in the locker room are somewhere between none and less than zero.

Add into that whole thing a Jon Gruden who looks like a deer in the headlights since coming back but still has all the power of personnel guy and head coach?

Yeah I can see how this is probably going to play out.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #203
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, he’s been a diva for year, showing up in outlandish cars for training camp. Though it was for charity, it was always about him, as an example.

And he’s a front runner, Tomlin’s inabilty to control that locker room let him and others run run amok, (Rothelsberger for years, the guys turning on Harrison, Bell etc, Brown with the Facebook live stuff) and then when they missed the playoffs this year, and someone there figured they finally should start cracking down on some of that stuff, he points fingers at others in the room.

He will come in and do and say the right things. But without individual success, followed closely by team success, he’s going to be a headache for Carr and Gruden and whoever the OC is by week 12 this year and not likely to get better.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #204
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

AB left the team three times this year and left them hanging at the end. Indefensible, I don't know how there could even be a debate about this.

and yeah, Ben being an ####### and AB being an ####### is not mutually exclusive.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #205
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Value wise, its a steal. A 3rd and a 5th for a talent like that is unprecedented. .

However, he is also the single biggest diva in the game, and unquestionably has thrown team mates under the bus because he didnt get his way. The effect that will have on what was a really bad football team already, remains to be seen but the chances he is a guy that helps them in the locker room are somewhere between none and less than zero.

Add into that whole thing a Jon Gruden who looks like a deer in the headlights since coming back but still has all the power of personnel guy and head coach?

Yeah I can see how this is probably going to play out.
Let's not forget the entire situation in Pittsburgh started because Big Ben threw Brown under the bus publicly in the media and there's clear evidence that Ben was getting preferential treatment in the locker room from the coaching staff. The aftermath of that was simply Brown playing the Steelers like a fiddle and forcing a team that held all the leverage to take a $21 million dead cap hit and minimal trade return which never happens. Anyone remotely interested in the fine details of this trade should give this a read as it implies the Steelers are not handling their top players the right way when it comes to contracts;

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...rs-raiders-won

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-10-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #206
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Let's not forget the entire situation in Pittsburgh started because Big Ben threw Brown under the bus publicly in the media and there's clear evidence that Ben was getting preferential treatment in the locker room from the coaching staff. The aftermath of that was simply Brown playing the Steelers like a fiddle and forcing a team that held all the leverage to take a $21 million dead cap hit and minimal trade return which never happens. Anyone remotely interested in the fine details of this trade should give this a read as it implies the Steelers are not handling their top players the right way when it comes to contracts;

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...rs-raiders-won

Why do you think he only returned what he did to the Steelers?

Certainly not because he is short on talent, that has ever been in doubt by anyone ever in this saga. The money isn't anywhere close to a stumbling block for anyone except the Steelers who really screwed themselves with the way they restructured his deal previously.

I get it, your a Raiders honk and adding a guy like this is exciting. He is still a diva no matter how you want to think otherwise though. With Carr now in question as the franchise QB moving forward, a HC who looked way over his head in his return, a league worst defense in ppg surrendered, and a division with the Chiefs and the Chargers going no where....not sure adding a headcase WR (albeit a great one) who cares about himself above all, is going to end up playing out all that great.

I will say though that he should be a great fit for the Raiders when they get to Vegas. He will be on billboards and all over local media I'm guessing.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #207
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I can't wait to hear Browns opinion of Regina
Old 03-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #208
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I can't wait to hear Browns opinion of Regina
I don't think that's been confirmed or anything.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #209
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I wonder if the Raiders will look at Justin Houston. They need a pass rusher and Houston when healthy is still effective. Not worth his current price tag but at half that would be a good add.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #210
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Also dont know if mentioned..

Quote:
It didn't take long for running back Carlos Hyde to find another job, as he agreed to a one-year deal with the Kansas City Chiefs on Saturday, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The deal is for $2.8 million, with $1.6 million being guaranteed, a source told Schefter.

The 28-year-old Hyde, who has rushed for 3,302 yards and 26 touchdowns in his five NFL seasons, was released Friday by the Jacksonville Jaguars, who saved $4.7 million against the salary cap.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #211
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raiders adding the best tackle in FA trent brown, that's a great move, improves two positions cause kolton miller moves over to RT
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #212
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just like the Giants added the best tackle last year in Nate Solder. But textbook example of good teams staying good and bad teams staying bad. Brown doesn't actually grade out that well, commits a lot of penalties (which makes him a natural Raider), but he was great in the playoffs so someone overpays while the Pats get a third round comp pick later on, and given their draft history, there's at least a 60% chance that pick ends up being a better player than Brown, for far less money. Pats are just the absolute gold standard for exemplary run franchises.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #213
Simanium
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Just like the Giants added the best tackle last year in Nate Solder. But textbook example of good teams staying good and bad teams staying bad. Brown doesn't actually grade out that well, commits a lot of penalties (which makes him a natural Raider), but he was great in the playoffs so someone overpays while the Pats get a third round comp pick later on, and given their draft history, there's at least a 60% chance that pick ends up being a better player than Brown, for far less money. Pats are just the absolute gold standard for exemplary run franchises.

When you look at how the Pats play the compensatory draft pick formula, it's very smart. They traded a 3rd round compensatory pick to SF for Trent Brown and a 5th round pick. Because they traded for Brown, as opposed to signing another OT in free agency to replace Solder, it doesn't get factored into the compensatory draft pick formula for Solder, in addition to the compensatory pick they will get for Brown. Basically they were able to rent Brown for a year, let him walk in free agency and get back the 3rd round compensatory pick they traded for him in the first place.

Last edited by Simanium; 03-11-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Simanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #214
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Raiders adding the best tackle in FA trent brown, that's a great move, improves two positions cause kolton miller moves over to RT
Yeah but Tom Cable.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #215
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes that's also a big part of why guys floundering outside New England. They usually go from elite coaching to not so much.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #216
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Yes that's also a big part of why guys floundering outside New England. They usually go from elite coaching to not so much.
Tom Cable is a notch below "not so much". He's arguably the worst OL coach in professional football.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #217
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know, and how he stays employed is truly amazing. Maybe he beats the crap out of Gruden every time he tries to fire him.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #218
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this contract is crazy. Kwon is a very good player when healthy, but even when healthy not worth $13.5 million per. And coming off a torn ACL...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1105165281310269440
Old 03-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #219
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

some teams just never learn.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #220
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the silly season of the NFL. Over half of the players signed this week will likely be released next offseason. This is the way it's going to be as long as most GM's and head coaches lack job security.