Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #201
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I’m for bringing Ferland back, but would much rather that happen in July.

The price on the trade is too much.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #202
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
I could maybe see the argument that Monahan's injuries started to get so bad that it affected the output of his linemates in the final stretch, maybe, but Monahan was shut down with 7 games to go in the season on March 23. That shows that Ferland was entirely ineffective for 16 games in the back half of the season before Monahan was shut down. It also might show that Ferland needs high-skill teammates to be effective (when he's on) and he is not getting that in Calgary as a depth signing.
Monahan was shut down with eight games to go, but more to the point while I tend to agree with you about Ferland, it cannot be understated how important Monahan is to the success of his line mates. His absence was not the only problem, but it sure as hell is something that effected Ferland's production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #203
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I loved the guy and his victory over his personal demons. Yet I don't want him back. Burke's comments are in line with what I felt about him. He is a elite player in spurts when motivated, and is prone to checking out.

It would cost too much, be a massive risk that he would stay motivated, and possibly hinder the team dynamics (having a guy checked out and no one can get through would be a distraction for sure).

I hope he cashes in a massive contract and is set for life, but somewhere else. Just not worth the risk given where we are.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #204
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If anyone has any evidence that the presence of Micheal Ferland prevented a single slash to Johnny Gaudreau's hands in the last five years, I would like to see it.
I agree completely. Count me in the group that never wants to see ferland back here.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #205
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Trading for Ferland makes little sense unless it's for something like a 3rd round draft pick. With his injury concerns, it feels like a 50/50 chance he would even be healthy come playoff time. Can't give up significant assets for a guy that might not play. Maybe you could put that in the deal. If Ferland plays at least 10 playoff games the 3rd rounder turns into a 1st rounder.
I agree 100 percent. If we can have a condition that the 3rd round pick becomes a first if the Flames make it to final or if Ferland re-signs in Calgary. I don't see him signing here next year regardless, and really don't want him at 5 million anyways.

With that said, I don't think a 3rd round pick with that condition is going to be enough to get the deal done, Canes would ask for more. Maybe I would consider adding a lower end prospect to the 3rd rounder.
Doctorfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #206
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Monahan was shut down with eight games to go, but more to the point while I tend to agree with you about Ferland, it cannot be understated how important Monahan is to the success of his line mates. His absence was not the only problem, but it sure as hell is something that effected Ferland's production.
The problem with ferland was effort, not results.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #207
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The problem with ferland was effort, not results.
True enough, but results go a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #208
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’m for bringing Ferland back, but would much rather that happen in July.

The price on the trade is too much.
I'd much rather rent Ferland - someone is going to pay him July 1, and they're never going to be happy they did.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #209
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland is a great complimentary player on a good line. He's not useful on a line without a driver. We're all full up on those, and I'm not sure he would be worth what it would cost for a rental, and at his age with his type of play, he's Lucic in about 2-3 years with likely a 5 year contract.

Love the guy, love the story, loved him as a Flame, but no thanks
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #210
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I posted my feelings on Ferland before but I want no part of him.

I like the way our team is now and I think he won't add much to the 4th line over say Hath/Eatbread.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #211
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

The optics for Carolina of trading Ferland back to the Flames at the deadline would be so terrible that I just cannot see it happening.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #212
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
True enough, but results go a long way.
I mean, sure.

But what this conversation is about is the former president of hockey ops saying publicly that the guy checked out on his team last year and they couldn't find a way to reach him. He's intimating that is one of the reasons he was dealt in the first place.

You're sorta the only one talking about results here.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #213
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I think Burkes comments this morning cements the idea of MF coming back, a non-starter.

Even if he did though...where was he going to play?

I mean his only real success here was with JG and SM, and he sure as hell isn't getting that spot.

So you drop him to play with MT and MB? Then you have to remember that although he is OK defensively, he sure isn't a guy that would normally be seen as a shut down type which, on that line, you have to have.

IMO, and more than acquisition costs etc, he simply doesn't fill a slot on this club.

I would love his size and miserableness moving forward for sure but again im not sure you can find a spot for him to maximize what he brings without screwing up every other part of the forward ranks as constructed. That simply is not worth it.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:05 PM   #214
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Are the Hurricanes phoning Burke and asking to keep his opinions to himself at least before the trade deadline so he doesn't affect a potential trade?
He kind of knocked Ferland's value down a few notches. Ferland may have turned a corner in Carolina.
Didn't everyone tune out Gully to some degree?
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #215
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I think Burkes comments this morning cements the idea of MF coming back, a non-starter.

Even if he did though...where was he going to play?

I mean his only real success here was with JG and SM, and he sure as hell isn't getting that spot.

So you drop him to play with MT and MB? Then you have to remember that although he is OK defensively, he sure isn't a guy that would normally be seen as a shut down type which, on that line, you have to have.

IMO, and more than acquisition costs etc, he simply doesn't fill a slot on this club.

I would love his size and miserableness moving forward for sure but again im not sure you can find a spot for him to maximize what he brings without screwing up every other part of the forward ranks as constructed. That simply is not worth it.
The only place I see he has a spot on is the 4th line taking out Eatbread.

No way you're going to bump down Neal to the 4th line. Benny is playing well on the 3rd so I don't see why we would remove him from that.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #216
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
The only place I see he has a spot on is the 4th line taking out Eatbread.

No way you're going to bump down Neal to the 4th line. Benny is playing well on the 3rd so I don't see why we would remove him from that.
Exactly.

And that is a spot that would completely under-utilize his strengths as well as his cost to acquire.

We are still a month away from the TDL, and things could change in a big way by then, but as it sits now, there really is no spot for him on this team...anywhere.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #217
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default TSN: Flames will inquire about re-acquiring Ferland

Where does Ferland realistically fit in this lineup? The top line and 3M line have been getting it done. Say what you want about Frolik but he does have chemistry on that second line and provides a ton of hard defensive minutes that I would never trust Ferland and his roller coaster of efforts to match.

Maybe he pushes Bennett off the third line? Not a luxury I’d be willing to give up a 1st or a good prospect to have, especially since that 3rd line has started to show signs of life since Neal woke up. I have a hard time finding a place for Ferland apart from taking Mangiapane/Dube’s spot.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #218
Franchise Player

Exp:

In light of Burke's comments, I guess this is just Tre driving up the price to his rivals again?

Love Ferly, but the one thing that I didn't like was that he didn't show up or wasn't engaged against the big teams.

He was invisible against the Oilers and was nowhere to be found when Kassian and Lucic were running around.

Against the Ducks, he fought Bieksa (who is smaller) regularly but wasn't there to stand up to Manson or Ritchie.

I don't question his toughness because i've seen his junior fights and I think he could take all of those bigger guys on, but he never did. Bieksa was the toughest guy he ever fought and he had a little bit of a size advantage on him.

I think this is where the Flames brass's issue with Ferly was. He simply wasn't there when they needed him (ie., against the Oilers).
Old 01-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #219
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
Are the Hurricanes phoning Burke and asking to keep his opinions to himself at least before the trade deadline so he doesn't affect a potential trade?
He kind of knocked Ferland's value down a few notches. Ferland may have turned a corner in Carolina.
Didn't everyone tune out Gully to some degree?
Burke is paid for his opinion, don't think he cares what the Canes think
Old 01-24-2019, 02:06 PM   #220
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Burke is paid for his opinion, don't think he cares what the Canes think
Yes, and I don't think the rest of the GM's in the league are basing Ferland's value on what Burke says either. Just a broadcast guy now (decent one though).
Doctorfever is offline   Reply With Quote