Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2017, 12:23 AM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah I've been watching this.

I have a friend who has other friends (who I don't know) who are apparently in Scientology. She was convinced by one of them to go to a "self help" event that ended up being an introduction / attempted recruitment of people into Scientology. I attempted to explain to her that the whole thing is a cult that does terrible things, and advised her to watch Going Clear. This was a few months ago.

Yesterday she told me that she went to their New Year's party and that "they're not as bad as everyone says, they do a lot of good for people. They showed a bunch of information at the party about all the good they do. It's like every religion, it has its bad moments, but I have friends in other religions like mormons and catholics and I don't judge them, I'm open minded and accepting of everything".

Apparently, they've got some very enticing methods that appeal to some people.
Actually a great deal of last weeks episode featured Mark Hedley who used to be the Production Manager who put together their events and made the movies that they played showing how fast the church was growing and how much they helped people and he said two key things

That L Ron Hubbard's favorite saying was whoever controls public relations controls the world

And if a person is willing to go out and fact check those propaganda movies they don't stand up to the claims about them helping all of these people, their story of reducing drug addictions for example and how they improved reading programs in school were complete fabrications.

If you want your friend to see the full story, tell her to look up Lisa McPherson, who was checked out of a mental health facility after having a breakdown. Was checked out by the church (Because when you join the church they have the right to check you out of those) took her to a hotel, ran their treatment on her and watched her die.

Tell your friend to look up the churches beliefs in psychology and homosexuality.

Then tell your friend that if she gets sucked in to check her bank account and then kiss it goodbye.

Also tell her that if she joins that she will be encouraged to disconnect from all of her suppression friends the minute that she tells anyone in the church that her friends have told her about negative aspects of that organization, oh and her family members too.

I'm sure on an individual basis there are Scientologists who try to help and are as charitable as they can be with what little money they have left.

But this is an organization that has actually killed people, driven others to suicide, conned 10's of thousands of people, and was founded on a bet between two authors on who could make the most money the quickest.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #22
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

If your looking for more on this, the podcast Oh No Ross and Carrie have a 4 or 5 part podcast on Scientology. They report on fringe science, claims of paranormal activity, and spirituality by taking part. They went through the process of joining the church. It went on for a lot longer than it should have as they never hide or lie about who thy are or what they do.

The way they get busted is hilarious and perfect. I strongly suggest you listen to it if it seems interesting to you and not look at the spoiler.

Spoiler!
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #23
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is their appeal to the Hollywood types like Cruise and Travolta?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Absolute power and adoration of the acolytes?

Not to mention I can imagine there would be some pretty ingenious tax-evasion strategies by running all of your Hollywood film earnings through holdings via a tax-exempt Church.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #25
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I think they're two different cases.

For Tom Cruise

Cheap labor to aid him in his life. The members of his personal staff for the most part are sea org members making something like $5.00 per day. So if he needs a car fixed, bammo. He needs someone to clean his house or dust his oscars bammo. I late night snack made, Sea org to the rescue.

I'm sure that he's gotten some tax free advice, free legal advice.

He's adored by Scientologists.

For some of the other members like Travolta. I firmly believe that all of their so called auditing sessions are recorded. So if he confessed to something that's potentially damaging to his career in doing what scientology encourages you to do which is get audited and admit those dark secrets that are causing you to be negative, its on tape. Maybe they got him like others to confess to something that's career damaging. In the old days it might have been homosexuallity. Maybe its that sex trip to Thailand to have sex with whatever.

Most celebs have deep dark secrets that they want to hide. Infidelities, drug problems, unusual sexual practices like screwing fish. The church would have that on record.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #26
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think they're two different cases.

For Tom Cruise

Cheap labor to aid him in his life. The members of his personal staff for the most part are sea org members making something like $5.00 per day. So if he needs a car fixed, bammo. He needs someone to clean his house or dust his oscars bammo. I late night snack made, Sea org to the rescue.

I'm sure that he's gotten some tax free advice, free legal advice.

He's adored by Scientologists.

For some of the other members like Travolta. I firmly believe that all of their so called auditing sessions are recorded. So if he confessed to something that's potentially damaging to his career in doing what scientology encourages you to do which is get audited and admit those dark secrets that are causing you to be negative, its on tape. Maybe they got him like others to confess to something that's career damaging. In the old days it might have been homosexuallity. Maybe its that sex trip to Thailand to have sex with whatever.

Most celebs have deep dark secrets that they want to hide. Infidelities, drug problems, unusual sexual practices like screwing fish. The church would have that on record.
You think they're blackmailing Travolta? And Cruise is in it to save some $'s?

I truly don't know but that's not what I would have thought. But there does seem to be some appeal with Hollywood types. I have never heard of incriminating information being released by Scientology but I'm not that well informed on the topic.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #27
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say it's a status thing. You need something to differentiate yourself from other a listers and if you can brag you midichlorian count is higher you are higher status
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #28
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know that Scientology appeals specifically to Hollywood types, so much as it appeals to materially affluent, non-religious people looking for something missing from their lives, and who are egotistical enough to find the idea of a secret club with levels and special rules appealing - the type of people that Hollywood is full of.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
You think they're blackmailing Travolta? And Cruise is in it to save some $'s?

I truly don't know but that's not what I would have thought. But there does seem to be some appeal with Hollywood types. I have never heard of incriminating information being released by Scientology but I'm not that well informed on the topic.
There's no one that they parade around like Tom Cruise, giving him fake medals, giving him sex slaves (ok that's exagerrated, but I'm sure that they think his sperm is some heavenly mixture of a re-incarnated L Ron Hubbard and the future chosen one selected to kill Xenu if he ever returns. They chose his wife and threw him a massive over the top wedding. He's also constantly hanging out with Miscavidge probably because they're both short people with power.

Travolta has seen his profile dropped massively, and they probably could have saved his career after he crushed it thanks to that horrid L Ron Hubbard mess.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The queen of crazy for scientology is still Catherine Bell, even though it sounds like she got in a ton of trouble for leaving her husband for a woman (homosexuality is evil according to that church)

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Secrets/Catherine_Bell/

Old 01-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #31
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifffletcher View Post
the u.s. Was founded and settled by fringe religious refugees from europe...
lol
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #32
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The queen of crazy for scientology is still Catherine Bell, even though it sounds like she got in a ton of trouble for leaving her husband for a woman (homosexuality is evil according to that church)

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Secrets/Catherine_Bell/
The glossary of terms at the end of that article is unreal. Whats that old saying...something about baffling them with bull****
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_Building

They have a time machine, or at least raised money to build one.

Where's my checkbook

Old 01-09-2017, 10:19 PM   #34
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Massively successful celebrities lead pretty insular lives, more so than the average peer of the same material wealth. A cult or religion will be particularly insidious to these types because the industry they are in lauds them with adulation already, this is like adding it to your personal life as well as professional.

Do we think Tom Cruise ever hears a negative word about Scientology? He is being fed a constant, ever present stream of bull#### about it and is obviously the type of personality to eat that up.

The blackmail negative reinforcement is just the stick aspect. A smart animal figures out the carrot is easier than the stick very quickly.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:36 PM   #35
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Massively successful celebrities lead pretty insular lives, more so than the average peer of the same material wealth. A cult or religion will be particularly insidious to these types because the industry they are in lauds them with adulation already, this is like adding it to your personal life as well as professional.

Do we think Tom Cruise ever hears a negative word about Scientology? He is being fed a constant, ever present stream of bull#### about it and is obviously the type of personality to eat that up.

The blackmail negative reinforcement is just the stick aspect. A smart animal figures out the carrot is easier than the stick very quickly.
I think he does hear the negative aspects of the church, he's probably one of the more media saavy people in Hollywood and he constantly goes out and defends all of the batshyte crazy theories of the church.

look at his attacks on psychology and mental health treatments.

Look at his attacks on Leah Remeni .

He knows all the negatives that are being said about the church, either he's a true believer along the lines of a Christian crusader or he doesn't care because the church treats him like a king and beats him with a stick once in a while.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #36
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #37
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I have always wondered if actors/actresses have some slight dread when being cast into a Tom Cruise movie. The attempt to convert you will come eventually. Get to be in a blockbuster movie but there is the dreaded Scientology pitch.

Would be like the Hollywood equivalent of one of those time share vacation offers. Super cheap hotel in Mexico! All you have to do is listen to an hour long presentation...
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #38
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would be more concerned about being in a movie with Kelly Preston, because I would totally buy what she's selling without even thinking about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #39
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's the appeal of any religion to anyone? That answer likely applies to your question.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I have always wondered if actors/actresses have some slight dread when being cast into a Tom Cruise movie. The attempt to convert you will come eventually. Get to be in a blockbuster movie but there is the dreaded Scientology pitch.

Would be like the Hollywood equivalent of one of those time share vacation offers. Super cheap hotel in Mexico! All you have to do is listen to an hour long presentation...
Slight dread? I imagine most would be pretty excited about the chances of spinning that role into more movie opportunities. Plenty of greasy people in Hollywood and in the big picture Cruise would probably be pretty harmless compared to what these actresses dealt with in their early career working up the ranks. He's a nut case but at the end of the day it's just business.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote