Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #521
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Costco pork shoulder 24 hours ish at 172 smoker for an hour-2 to char outside best pulled pork I’ve had so far. Used it on tacos, nachos, pizza this is now my go to. Unfortunately the egg style smoker isn’t mine so I still want to try with liquid smoke and broiling the finish in oven to see if I can replicate.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #522
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
After the steaks were done, it took about 5-10 min to increase the bath temperature to 82C while I seared the steaks, and then I cooked the asparagus for 10 min at 82C per the app that came with the Joule while the steaks rested. Asparagus was a bit crisper than I would like, maybe 12 mins might be better. Steaks were great, 54C for an hour.
If I'm doing veggies I put them in first at the higher temperature then leave them in and lower the temperature (with ice or cold water) for the steaks. It doesn't seem to hurt to hold the veggies at the lower temperature for an hour in my experience. I haven't tried asparagus though, mainly brussels, carrots, etc.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #523
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone tried mashed potatoes sous vide? My brother made them a couple of weeks ago. Super tasty. Just put some sliced potato in a bag with butter, milk, and garlic, cook it up and mash it right in the bag.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #524
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
If I'm doing veggies I put them in first at the higher temperature then leave them in and lower the temperature (with ice or cold water) for the steaks. It doesn't seem to hurt to hold the veggies at the lower temperature for an hour in my experience. I haven't tried asparagus though, mainly brussels, carrots, etc.
That's a great idea.

Did a round roast for 28 hours this weekend, seasoned before it went in and seared after. Came out fork tender and good flavour. I think I will avoid using my usual roast rub blend for sous vide, wasn't crazy about how the juices tasted when I reduced them down for a bit of sauce. Will just stick to salt and pepper.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #525
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump.

Looking to purchase one of these for my wife for her birthday.

Any recommendations on a unit? There is a wide variety of prices and features. Does the Bluetooth and WiFi capabilities really matter?

What say you CP.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:07 AM   #526
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Bump.

Looking to purchase one of these for my wife for her birthday.

Any recommendations on a unit? There is a wide variety of prices and features. Does the Bluetooth and WiFi capabilities really matter?

What say you CP.
Anova and Joule seem to be the top options. I bought my Anova before Joule was as readily available here. Anova has options that include a nice container if that's important to you. Having a nice set up is worth it IMO. When we have guests over, it's almost always a conversation starter. Anova's container is sleek albeit a little over priced for the sexy look. Mine is just a basic clear rubber maid bin with a corner cut out of the lid for the Anova which still looks pretty good, but not as good as something as precision as the Anova one. I haven't checked into the Joule options.

Absolutely buy the wifi option over the bluetooth option (a regret of mine buying the blue tooth version rather than dishing extra out for wifi). It allows for you to check and control things away from home and around the home. BT connectivity isn't always available even at home when you're elsewhere watching TV, in the garage and whatnot.

Vacuum sealer isn't necessary, but it sure is nice. Freezer bags are more than good enough for the typical cook. I haven't had an issue over the 3+ years I've used the Anova, although at times it would be nice to just plop the vacuum sealed bag into the bath rather than have to tinker with weighing down a freezer bag with butter knives.

I've started noticing something called the "pro" versions of different sous vide brands. I think the only difference is the power of which it can heat up the bath or maintain a high temperature. I don't think this extra power is necessary unless you need higher temps (80C+) for things like veggies or making cheese without insulating a container. You can survive just fine on the regular versions by insulating the sides of the container with towels and whatnot. If you're using 80C+ temps on the regular to make things like queso blanco or veggies, it might be worth grabbing the pro versions to stay lazy though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2023, 05:04 PM   #527
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone migrate to the Precision Oven?

https://anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-oven
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:44 PM   #528
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

nope but I have 3 pro's and I use at least one them weekly. Love my sous vide!!
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote