Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #41
F|amesFan4Life
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CgyFlamesftw View Post
^ I should use those stats to show the tools at Hfboards how important Gio is. Many don't think he is a top 10 defenseman this year and many still take phaneuf over him.
Actually from what I've read he gets plenty of love at HF, a lot of people are complimenting him having one of the best PPG among Dmen to go with high minutes played against the other teams top forwards and also his +/- being in the positive on a team with -30 GD. I certainly can't remember anyone having Phaneuf ahead of him, that would be beyond ridiculous.
F|amesFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:49 AM   #42
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
How many other NHL captains are there out there who were passed over in the entry draft?
Zero. Every other NHL captain was drafted (although, Martin St. Louis was Tampa's captain this year until his trade, so it was the two of them for most of the season).

18 of the (currently 27) captains in the NHL were first round picks (not necessarily by the team they're the captain of now).
Old 04-08-2014, 01:40 AM   #43
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems like every sports analyst and broadcaster dismisses giordano as having a very low chance of winning the Norris. Can anyone honestly say that ANY defenceman in the NHL has played better than him this season? I'm talking about taking account for every part of being a top defensemen in the NHL... Is there anyone that has had a better all around season than giordano?

He's the most important player on the team and does absolutely everything. They ignore certain stats and details for other defensemen in the league when considering them legit Norris candidates... Karlsson's minus rating... Duncan Keith playing on the highest scoring team in the NHL... But they won't consider giordano a legit contender for the Norris basically because he was hurt for 18 games.

It's unfair to a guy who has played so well and who deserves it more than anyone else... Feels like iginla in the 2002 hart trophy race (although that is largely considered one of the biggest rip offs in NHL individual award history).
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #44
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Correct me if i'm wrong but there has NEVER been a Norris Trophy winner who's team didn't make the playoffs.

I think that does play into the fact that he isn't getting the consideration he is, if we were first in the conference and he was leading the flames in ice time putting up the points he is now he'd be in the top 3 talks for sure.

People don't look at Gio just based on the fact we're not a contender in my opinion.
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 AM   #45
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Bet you Edmonton wished they had like.... 10 Giordano's in their farm system!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:08 AM   #46
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Bet you Edmonton wished they had like.... 10 Giordano's in their farm system!
Or even one?
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:16 AM   #47
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4acup View Post
Or even one?
Old CP joke.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #48
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

The NHL awards are basically just a venue for the hockey media to embarrass themselves by demonstrating their complete ignorance of hockey outside of their own market.

If I had a plumber working for me, and he said that PK Subban was the best defenceman in the world, I'd be half tempted to fire him. Never mind actual hockey journalists who actually get paid to pay attention to hockey games, and who have all year to think about their answer.

Giordano has zero chance of getting the Norris, because I bet you there's a significant fraction of voters for the award who couldn't even tell you who the captain of the Flames is.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #49
formulate
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Seems like every sports analyst and broadcaster dismisses giordano as having a very low chance of winning the Norris. Can anyone honestly say that ANY defenceman in the NHL has played better than him this season? I'm talking about taking account for every part of being a top defensemen in the NHL... Is there anyone that has had a better all around season than giordano?

He's the most important player on the team and does absolutely everything. They ignore certain stats and details for other defensemen in the league when considering them legit Norris candidates... Karlsson's minus rating... Duncan Keith playing on the highest scoring team in the NHL... But they won't consider giordano a legit contender for the Norris basically because he was hurt for 18 games.

It's unfair to a guy who has played so well and who deserves it more than anyone else... Feels like iginla in the 2002 hart trophy race (although that is largely considered one of the biggest rip offs in NHL individual award history).
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...9&postcount=28

You can make a valid argument for Keith ahead of Gio. Maybe Chara. Definitely Karlsson based on what the Norris has turned into (ie. unadulterated love for offensive d-men). But that's about it. I really, really wish he had been able to play 82 games and be top-3 in points. Just to see how important it is to play on a good team (in terms of winning awards).
formulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #50
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulate View Post
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...9&postcount=28

You can make a valid argument for Keith ahead of Gio. Maybe Chara. Definitely Karlsson based on what the Norris has turned into (ie. unadulterated love for offensive d-men). But that's about it. I really, really wish he had been able to play 82 games and be top-3 in points. Just to see how important it is to play on a good team (in terms of winning awards).
I also think name recognition plays heavily into the equation. Lidstrom was arguably very deserving of the award for a few years I think before even being nominated (if memory serves). When he finally won it, everyone thought it was long overdue.

To win it, it helps playing the East, and it helps being the most offensive, but it seems to help a lot on being an established star. I was surprised when Karlsson won it actually (not that I didn't think he deserved it), because he was not an 'established star' yet.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #51
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Gio is one of my only man crushes. Absolutely love the guy. A total warrior in every aspect of the game, and what better guy to lead the troops, than a guy who went un-drafted, and had to fight and claw his way to the NHL, unlike the entitled attitudes most captains have as 1st round superstars, being handed everything they want.

Gio's never quit attitude is truly reflected in the way this team plays. I really hope he stays for years to come, gets a big juicy Phaneufesque extension, and winds down his career here. I would have no issues if he gets over paid for a season or two as well, as it could be argued, he is retroactively owed about 6 million by totally playing above and beyond his contract value.

We are so lucky to have this guy. I would love to know who in the scouting staff saw the potential in him 8 years ago and offered him a tryout. It was one of the best off the board finds in recent NHL memory.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #52
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Favorite Gio goal as a Flame:

I remember watching this at Original Joe's. When Gio scored that goal, and the way he reacted, I said to my buddy "This guy is going to be the captain one day."

So much drive and passion.

And without a doubt my favorite Gio goal as well. That was straight up Ovechkin calibre jock turning inside outing.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #53
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Gio is one of my only man crushes. Absolutely love the guy. A total warrior in every aspect of the game, and what better guy to lead the troops, than a guy who went un-drafted, and had to fight and claw his way to the NHL, unlike the entitled attitudes most captains have as 1st round superstars, being handed everything they want.

Gio's never quit attitude is truly reflected in the way this team plays. I really hope he stays for years to come, gets a big juicy Phaneufesque extension, and winds down his career here. I would have no issues if he gets over paid for a season or two as well, as it could be argued, he is retroactively owed about 6 million by totally playing above and beyond his contract value.

We are so lucky to have this guy. I would love to know who in the scouting staff saw the potential in him 8 years ago and offered him a tryout. It was one of the best off the board finds in recent NHL memory.
Anybody know who scouted this guy?

I would love to see some media/stories on who scouted him, the tryout camp, how things progressed to a NHL contract...... etc..... cough local media cough....
Old 04-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #54
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Anybody know who scouted this guy?

I would love to see some media/stories on who scouted him, the tryout camp, how things progressed to a NHL contract...... etc..... cough local media cough....
Good article here (from 2010): http://sports.nationalpost.com/2010/...-scouts-wrong/

Darryl Sutter originallly offered him a summer try-out; don't know who would have been scouting Ontario back then...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #55
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Good article here (from 2010): http://sports.nationalpost.com/2010/...-scouts-wrong/

Darryl Sutter originallly offered him a summer try-out; don't know who would have been scouting Ontario back then...
Not sure but I believe Tom Webster had some input.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #56
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535008

Yep...it was Webster.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #57
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gio is quietly putting up a monster season so far. Its insane how little we talk about Gio.

In 21 games he's accumulated 20 points.

2 Goals
18 Assists

Last year he had

13 Goals
25 Assists
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #58
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gio is still jmo one of the most under rated first pairing D man in the league especially with writers down East.
So grateful he became the C after we were blessed with Iggy.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #59
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Was seeing how his points compare to other d-men and Thomas Chabot has 24 points!
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #60
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

...and Karlsson has 12 points!
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote