Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #81
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
You're on crack. Most of that flavored crap is so over rated. It's nice once in a while but as a go to beer, it's just not my thing.

I have yet to taste any craft brew that competes with a Stiegl or Lech.
Flavoured? We're not talking nastyass winter ales here.

As far as I'm concerned:

1. West coast craft brews.
2. Higher end mass-produced beers - keiths, rickards, sam adams, sleemans.
3. Mainstream beer - Canadian, lucky, bud.
Euro trash beer - stella, heineken, grolsch, hoegaarden (eewww)
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #82
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
As long as those craft brews are american and not Canadian. American craft wipe the floor with Canadian.
They've had a huge head start. Wildrose and Village are all expanding but for a city of over 1 million 3 microbreweries is not enough.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #83
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we're looking at Canada, Quebec is doing pretty damn well with their smaller breweries. There are some great beers coming out of there. But yeah, the "lol US beer, we have Canadian beer" myth is pretty dead, they destroy our beers.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #84
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
Flavoured? We're not talking nastyass winter ales here.

As far as I'm concerned:

1. West coast craft brews.
2. Higher end mass-produced beers - keiths, rickards, sam adams, sleemans.
3. Mainstream beer - Canadian, lucky, bud.
Euro trash beer - stella, heineken, grolsch, hoegaarden (eewww)
Anyone that prefers Canadian or Lucky over the European beers you mentioned has lost all credibility in my eyes.

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard.

Who hurt you?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #85
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
As long as those craft brews are american and not Canadian. American craft wipe the floor with Canadian.
Mostly American, but there are some great Canadian west coast breweries, especially here in Victoria. Beers from Driftwood and Phillips make up 12 of Canada's top 100 beers (according to ratebeer.com).

That said, yes, Seattle and Portland craft breweries dominate the picture.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #86
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Anyone that prefers Canadian or Lucky over the European beers you mentioned has lost all credibility in my eyes.

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard.

Who hurt you?
I was going to say it's odd to lump Lucky in with Canadian.

However I will ask you this- if the European beers are so much better; why does Canadian outsell them by a huge margin? It just seems to me that the beer "snobs" just seem to be incredibly vocal. The rest of us generally just sit back, enjoy the beer we choose and go on with life. I only chimed in because it's funny to see people debating which beer is better without looking at which beer outsells others.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion; however it seems odd to say somebody has "lost credibility" when they choose a beer that outsells the others.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #87
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
Mostly American, but there are some great Canadian west coast breweries, especially here in Victoria. Beers from Driftwood and Phillips make up 12 of Canada's top 100 beers (according to ratebeer.com).

That said, yes, Seattle and Portland craft breweries dominate the picture.
I'm curious how much of this perception is due to geography. There are definitely some great craft brews from those areas, but there are a ton from other parts of the US that are just as strong. Bell's and Founder's are both from Western Michigan, Goose Island (although not so much a craft brewer anymore) is in Chicago, Ommegang is in NY and that's just a quick list. Do you guys just not see much from anywhere but the west coast in Calgary?
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #88
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I was going to say it's odd to lump Lucky in with Canadian.

However I will ask you this- if the European beers are so much better; why does Canadian outsell them by a huge margin? It just seems to me that the beer "snobs" just seem to be incredibly vocal. The rest of us generally just sit back, enjoy the beer we choose and go on with life. I only chimed in because it's funny to see people debating which beer is better without looking at which beer outsells others.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion; however it seems odd to say somebody has "lost credibility" when they choose a beer that outsells the others.
Price? (honestly no idea what the difference is in most Canadian markets, but the Euro beers always used to be a few dollars more)
Old 03-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #89
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
I'm curious how much of this perception is due to geography. There are definitely some great craft brews from those areas, but there are a ton from other parts of the US that are just as strong. Bell's and Founder's are both from Western Michigan, Goose Island (although not so much a craft brewer anymore) is in Chicago, Ommegang is in NY and that's just a quick list. Do you guys just not see much from anywhere but the west coast in Calgary?
We do not. Going to cities like New York and Chicago I feel like I'm a new drinker. I have no idea what to order.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #90
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

/thread
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #91
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
We do not. Going to cities like New York and Chicago I feel like I'm a new drinker. I have no idea what to order.
I kind of like that. When I travel I like to be able to try some of the local brews. But it would be nice to be able to get them here.

Interesting article I was reading about Alberta Craft Brewing industry http://saintjohnswort.ca/craft-brewing-in-alberta/
Quote:
5,000 hl of beer doesn’t seem like a huge amount of beer, until you realize that it’s 500,000 litres.
That is to say that you have to be able to make a million pints of beer a year within 18 months of starting up. Additionally, all of your fermenters have to contain at least a thousand litres and you need at least enough of them to make five thousand litres a week. Even given those conditions, five thousand litres a week puts you at about half of your minimum annual production capacity, so you’re really talking about much larger scale equipment.

There are breweries in Ontario that have been around for more than a decade that have never reached the theoretical minimum amount of beer you’d need in Alberta for the AGLC to consider you above board. In point of fact, I’d guess that some of our more interesting new breweries may never see 5000hl.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #92
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I highly recommend the 'untappd' app. A great way to keep track of different beers, find reviews, find bars nearby with good stuff on tap etc.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #93
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No love for NY's own Brooklyn Brewery? Not their mainstream stuff, something like the Sorachi Ace?
That stuff is great, I should've mentioned it alongside Goose Island since both have a mainstream element along with the more craft stuff.

Drinking at the Brooklyn Brewery is great (at least it was, it's been a year or two). It's typically only open during the day (any maybe only weekends) so it's more of a grab a beer or two type place most of the time and if you want anything outside of the main brews it'll cost you (if they even have it). However, they host events from time to time that feature an open bar. At one such event I decided it was a good idea to forego the Brooklyn lager in favor of Brooklyn Blast, at 9% ABV, and to get as many down as I could in the 2 or so hours I was there pretending to have any idea what this particular charity even did. That did not end well.
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #94
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I kind of like that. When I travel I like to be able to try some of the local brews. But it would be nice to be able to get them here.

Interesting article I was reading about Alberta Craft Brewing industry http://saintjohnswort.ca/craft-brewing-in-alberta/
I like it to but it's a lot of pressure sometimes...

What can I get you?

Uh, uh, ummmm, how about.... No... ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.......
Old 03-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #95
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ever had Staropramen? Nectar of the gods
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote