Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Mindy McCready has died

http://www.tmz.com/2013/02/17/mindy-...-dies-suicide/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/17/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t1

Quote:
"At 3:31 PM, Sunday, February 17th Deputies from the Cleburne County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to a report of gun shots fired in the area of 1132 Fox Chase Drive in Heber Springs. Officers arrived on the scene at 3:58 PM and discovered the body of 37 year old Melinda Gayle McCready on the front porch of the residence at 1132 Fox Chase. Ms. McCready was pronounced dead at the scene from what appears to be a single self-inflicted gunshot wound."
Quote:
McCready leaves behind two boys, one of whom is 10 months old. The infant's father, record producer David Wilson, died of an apparent suicide last month.

Last edited by RedMileDJ; 02-18-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Removed personal opinion.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
Took the easy way out: Suicide.
God I ****ing hate it when people say this.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

To suggest suicide is taking the easy way out is flat out wrong. You have to understand that the disease causes a level of pain so profound that it twists one’s ability to assess risk, to make good choices and to maintain a sense of future possibilities. By then all hope is gone and what was once a dark hole with a light of hope at the end, becomes an all encompassing darkness with the affecting person seeing no way out. Death becomes the only way as it is an end to all the emotional pain.

People would be mistaken if they think choice or free will was involved. As a suicide survivour I live with the horror of how the disease nearly took my life back in my early 20's. I love life and all that goes with it and I cherish each and every moment, plus all the friends and family in my life.

It saddens me when I read cases like this. She had tried a few times before and failed. Then there's the time she spent getting treatment only to be released. For whatever reason the system failed her or she just plain gave up and got weary of the long battle. It's not character flaw or a sign of weakness, just someone who may have lost hope.

RIP Mindy - your suffering is over

Last edited by Dion; 02-18-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea who she is but feel for her poor kids, they'd have had a tough go of it anyway, this just about ensures their lives will be blighted.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Never mind. Nothing worth saying.

Last edited by RedMileDJ; 02-18-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The saddest part is that she leaves behind an infant who now has no parents, both of which killed themselves...

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #7
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

A good friend of mine committed suicide. It changed my life forever. I think about him a lot and wonder if i had picked up the phone more often if i could have helped. To this day i dont know if mental illness contributed, substance abuse (he wasnt the type to get into that), or physical illness that manifested in a way to change gis moods or body chemistry. I dont really care to find out either.

I dont resent him and i forgive him. It is a tragedy in my eyes, but a tragedy of a different type. I know other people dont share the same opinion. It just makes me sad when i hear about it and about family remaining.

It is going to be tough on her kids, and i hoe they can make it.

Last edited by killer_carlson; 02-18-2013 at 01:56 AM.
killer_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I have no idea who she is...
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Mindy McCready was the poster girl for addictive personality and tortured souls. I think a lot of people really failed her, and she became a punchline in the establishment.

She asked for help more then once and never really got it.

I've said in the past that suicide can be the selfish way out, and I've reflected on that a lot lately for personal reasons.

I don't think its truly the selfish way out, its a way out of what a person perceives as being alone in the dark facing pain that will never end.

Its not noble, its not really forgivable because of what it puts the family through, but to that person who has gotten to that point of despair and darkness it could be view as the only way.

On top of that they tend to believe that not only is it the best way out for them, it eases a burden on family and friends and the decision I think comes easier.

Mindy McCready was talented and had everything she could have possibly wanted, but she for whatever reason was suffering, she might have in her mind believed that her kids would have been better off without her.

Such is the depth of mental illness, hopefully lessons are learned, and somewhere down the road it prevents or saves someone else from doing it because the signs are recognized.

Rest in Peace

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I guess it's good that I left it out of the thread title then.

Sorry, but I see suicide as selfish and just a cop out. Not a disease. No system failed her. She failed herself and her family. She had the resources and the support to avoid this path. She had tried to kill herself before.

I've been down some very dark paths myself. Suicide was never an option because I had the resources and support to avoid it. Just like she did.

Hopefully her family and kids can move on. Devastating to say the least.
Not everyone knows how to reach out for help or where to go like you did. Some don't even understand what is happening to them. On top of that you have the negitive stigma that ridicules you by saying you need to suck it and causes people to suffer in silence.

The system often fails the person as there are not always adequte resources available to help them. Too see a psychiatrist means sitting on a wait list for long periods of time. A psychologist is out of reach for a large segemnt of the poulation who don't have plan at work that would help cover counselling. Provinical health care boards don't see mental heath as a high priority when it comes to health coverage.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #11
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Mindy McCready was the poster girl for addictive personality and tortured souls. I think a lot of people really failed her, and she became a punchline in the establishment.

She asked for help more then once and never really got it.

I've said in the past that suicide can be the selfish way out, and I've reflected on that a lot lately for personal reasons.

I don't think its truly the selfish way out, its a way out of what a person perceives as being alone in the dark facing pain that will never end.

Its not noble, its not really forgivable because of what it puts the family through, but to that person who has gotten to that point of despair and darkness it could be view as the only way.

On top of that they tend to believe that not only is it the best way out for them, it eases a burden on family and friends and the decision I think comes easier.

Mindy McCready was talented and had everything she could have possibly wanted, but she for whatever reason was suffering, she might have in her mind believed that her kids would have been better off without her.

Such is the depth of mental illness, hopefully lessons are learned, and somewhere down the road it prevents or saves someone else from doing it because the signs are recognized.

Rest in Peace
This is a big one. The self deprecation and continuous internal bombardment of "you're worthless" type thoughts really lead those people into thinking that the world would be a better place without them. This self deprecation and low-self worth eventually signals everyone around them to treat them in this way as well. Exept for the people that truly love them and continually try to help them. It's a hard road of those tortured souls.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #12
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've since edited the my original post and my first reply.

Next time I'll just post the links and quotes, and keep my personal opinion out.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #13
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Never mind. Nothing worth saying.
Speaking of self deprecation!

Your opinion IS valid and we care about you.
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I've since edited the my original post and my first reply.

Next time I'll just post the links and quotes, and keep my personal opinion out.
It's a subject that needs to be discussed. You have a right to an opinion like everyone else
Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
This is a big one. The self deprecation and continuous internal bombardment of "you're worthless" type thoughts really lead those people into thinking that the world would be a better place without them. This self deprecation and low-self worth eventually signals everyone around them to treat them in this way as well. Exept for the people that truly love them and continually try to help them. It's a hard road of those tortured souls.

I'm almost certain in the case of McCready that she heard more then once that she was being a terrible mother to her kids, people with severe mental issues will make the easier connection that lousy mother = kid better off without me, instead of the logical lousy mother = I need to fix this.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 AM   #16
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm almost certain in the case of McCready that she heard more then once that she was being a terrible mother to her kids, people with severe mental issues will make the easier connection that lousy mother = kid better off without me, instead of the logical lousy mother = I need to fix this.
It's a tough circle to free ones self from.

I didn't realize that my self deprecating "jokes" about myself and others even had such an effect until a favorite cousin of mine noticed it and pointed it out. Since then I dropped every "friend" that I have who acts this way to themselves and those around them. It's amazing how much better you feel and how much more self worth you feel when you don't subject yourself to these people and you start dropping complements instead of stink bombs. For McCready it would be a lot harder to avoid...
Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I met Mindy in the mid-90s just as her career was taking off. So cute and sweet. She had a great voice.

Very sad how this all ended, and I feel terrible for her boys. It did seem like it would end this way, though.

Went down into the basement and found the CD she signed back in the day.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #18
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
People would be mistaken if they think choice or free will was involved.
I agree in large part with what you are saying but this statement is complete crap. To e say that people don't have a choice and that they have no free will is garbage - people have a choice all the time not to commit suicide, they have a choice to seek help, there are so many choices that are available. I disagree with the original statement that it is the easy way out because it disregards the suffering, I think that yours is equally as foolish and potentially damaging.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #19
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't she have some highly publicized affair with a baseball player or something? Or was that someone different. Anyways, RIP Mindy.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #20
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

She was troubled for a long time and even her talent couldn't carry her through it.

My favourite Mindy McCready video was "the Other Side," more for the fact that it seemed to be shot in an impromptu session on Bourbon St in New Orleans in one or two takes versus she's only wearing her nightie in most of time.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TOM6A6v6P1Y&feature=plpp

I'm pretty sure that's Dean Cain jumping out at her at the end. She dated him for a while.

RIP.

Cowperson