Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
tenyardrambo
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Tipping a server

What are the ethics of tipping?
I understand that some people will argue between 10-20%. BUT what if you get very bad service? Will you tip then? What if the service was sub par would you just tip a buck or two?

Does service and the quality of food combine for the tip? I have noticed that lots of servers expect a tip and will feel offended if you don't.

What are your opinions on this topic?

**** in very expensive food establishments I know they are stacked with sous chefs and head chefs, the service should be prime, hence the tip higher then 20%?
tenyardrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
hmmhmmcamo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

hmmhmmcamo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hmmhmmcamo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I usually leave a tip, sometimes people just have a bad day, if I get bad service, I'll probably tip the customary 15%, but I won't return to the establishment and let my friends know about the experience.

If its really terrible service I'll talk to the manager about it before I pay the bill.

If its really good service, or really good food, or they make my evening pleasant, then I'll do the 20% tip.

But I probably have never short tipped.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Best tipping philosophy EVER.

edit: fixed link

Last edited by silentsim; 04-06-2012 at 11:51 PM.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
Best tipping philosophy EVER.

Hmm.....let me guess, you're a fan of Mr. Pink's 'never tip' philosophy?

As for myself, I usually tip no matter what, because I'm like that. My gf on the other hand will definitely leave what we owe, to the penny if you piss her off.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hmm.....let me guess, you're a fan of Mr. Pink's 'never tip' philosophy?
nope, link fixed!
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I usually leave a tip, sometimes people just have a bad day, if I get bad service, I'll probably tip the customary 15%, but I won't return to the establishment and let my friends know about the experience.

If its really terrible service I'll talk to the manager about it before I pay the bill.

If its really good service, or really good food, or they make my evening pleasant, then I'll do the 20% tip.

But I probably have never short tipped.
That's pretty much the standard for most people.

The only thing is if the food is bad, it's not really the server's fault, but at the same time, that is an oppurtunity for the server to actually earn their tip by providing the appropriate service to recognize and fix whatever is wrong in a quick efficient manner without making the customer feel bad. That is actually the only time you really need a server to fix things. Good food should be an expectation.

if you tip a buck or two because you're that disgruntled with the service, I'd say thats fine. The server is working for that tip and if they don't earn it, they don't get it. I'd also let the manager know as you are paying for the whole experience when you go out. The managers job is to make sure you leave happy, regardless of what you tip.

and tip more than 20% if you really want to, don't feel obligated because its a fancy restaurant, fancy restauraunts charge high prices, which inflates the tip anyways so regardless, they end up with more even if you do stick to the 10-20 rule. Waiters at the Keg who make 10% all night, will make more than the waiter at the Dennys who makes 15% all night.

Good servers make good money, so dont feel bad about expecting that kind of service and tipping appropriately based on the service.

Anyways, this is only if you like tipping, I won't go into the societal expectations of tipping as that always turns into a heated battle, I'll put this topic as number 3 with religion and teachers in terms of how angry people get on CP
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma-skis.com For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
BCGirl
Farm Team Player

Exp:

My tip depends on the service, attitude of the server and quality of the food. I have tipped 20% on a late night Denny run and I have 0% and did not feel one bit sorry for it because I couldnt believe that such an idiot could even still have her job. ( but then... It was Denny's) my fiance and I go to the Calgary Tower and I had one sever I tipped 35% because he was phenomonal the entire evening we were there! But as an average amount I try to tip about 14-20% for good-better service. Anything higher I better be really impressed.
BCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
freedogger
Scoring Winger

Exp:

With two young kids and a third on the way, we just order pickup from our favorite restaurants. I usually tip about 10 percent because there is no serving part. Is this too much or too little? I don't have a clue.
freedogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #11
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

15% as the standard. Up to about 20% for good service. Down to 1 penny for bad service.

1 penny is better at making your point than no tip at all: makes it clear you didn't just forget.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #12
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedogger View Post
With two young kids and a third on the way, we just order pickup from our favorite restaurants. I usually tip about 10 percent because there is no serving part. Is this too much or too little? I don't have a clue.
I don't tip for pickup service... I always tip when I eat at a restaurant, but don't feel the need when I go in to pickup.

Maybe that's not normal, but in this case what am I even tipping for? Food prices are high enough already, and if I am wasting a few bucks in gas picking up the food that is the tip right there.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedogger View Post
I generally tip between 15 and 20 percent for table service, but when picking up take-away I just round up to the most convenient total (even if it only means 1 or 2 percent.) Even that seems fairly generous to me, considering the person taking your order and handing you your food is doing the exact same amount of work as the person who takes your order and hands you your food at McDonald's.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #14
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

10-20% usually. If the service is awful i will tip something bad like 13 cents to make a point (I'm talking REALLY bad service).

I get that everyone has bad days, but that shouldn't effect me at all, your a server... Do your job and serve me.
Lt.Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:59 AM   #15
kenk-la
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I generally tip 15-20% depending on the service, but if the food is bad or the kitchen is slow why should the server be punished by no tip? Servers/wait staff are not paid very well and many of them rely on tips. So unless the service is atrocious I don't see why you wouldn't tip, but apparently the idea of tipping is debatable (mostly to those who never had to do anything of that sort).

kenk-la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #16
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

I'm pretty much Mr Pink as far as tipping goes.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:11 AM   #17
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

12-15%
Kipperriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #18
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

I always use service quality as a gauge on the state of our economy.

Great news! service has been getting worse lately so the economy is heating up.

If the economy is really really strong, the servers at Joey's,Earl's are less hot too.

If the economy is bad, service is generally good and the servers are hot.

20%- if service is great or had to do something extra for me
15% and droppping if the service is less than good
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #19
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

If somebody doesnt believe in tipping that is their opinion but I hope they believe that they should be making a fair living wage.
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #20
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't tip your server they end of losing money - since the total of your bill is included in their ring out and they have to tip out the bar, bussers, kitchen ect a percentage of that ring out.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post: