Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 04-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #3961
Pablothegreat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
Lindholm: 79 GP, 27 G, 51 A, 78 P, +32, 20 PIM, 20:05 ATOI, 26 PPP, 4 SHP.
Hanafin: 79 GP, 5 G, 28 A, 33 P, +18, 12 PIM, 20:48 ATOI, 5 PPP, 2 SHP.

Ferland: 68 GP, 17 G, 22 A, 39 P, +12, 58 PIM, 14:09 ATOI, 12 PPP, 0 SHP.
Hamilton: 79 GP, 16 G, 19 A, 35 P, -3, 50 PIM, 19:37 ATOI, 6 PPP, 0 SHP.
What strikes me is the PIM differential between Hamilton & Hanifin. Did a little digging and Dougie had 10PIM game misconduct against LA, but if you discount that, it's still 40PIM vs 12PIM.

I seem to recall Hamilton having some bad penalties during his time as a Flame, but Hanifin seems to really use his skating to angle guys off effectively.
Pablothegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pablothegreat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #3962
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
The legend of Micheal Ferland grows!

This trade was a home run the day it was made.

I didn't like the Fox aspect, but once it was clear he was never signing here, it just didn't make a big difference.

BT was swinging for the fences....and connected.
Ferland has always been over-rated by some. He physically can't play the type of game people think he plays without getting injured all the time.

People think he's Tom Wilson but 95% of the time he's Alex Chaisson with a better line-up slot and a much better fighter.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 03:20 PM   #3963
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If Carolina can't sign Ferland... man. That deal was a steal. I was very, very wrong about it in the summer

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #3964
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablothegreat View Post
What strikes me is the PIM differential between Hamilton & Hanifin. Did a little digging and Dougie had 10PIM game misconduct against LA, but if you discount that, it's still 40PIM vs 12PIM.

I seem to recall Hamilton having some bad penalties during his time as a Flame, but Hanifin seems to really use his skating to angle guys off effectively.
Hamilton is lazy, it's as simple as that. He's big and can skate and has a huge reach, and that got him to the NHL. But I can't count how many times he got beat by a superior effort, just literally out-tried by someone, and he'd reach in an hook the guy, and get called. I was so glad to see him gone....never liked his game as a whole. Elite talent but just not a hard enough worker to be a genuine asset day to day as a defenseman.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheSquatch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #3965
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Well, Brad Treliving did expect precisely that.
Yeah well that quote was from today. If he’d said that before he was a Flame it would be a little more impressive.

But after everything we are hearing now it seems Treliving traded:

A guy who wanted out in Hamilton.
A guy who was set on going UFA in Ferland.
A guy who didn’t want to sign here in Fox.

Now all those pieces are still very valuable even with knowledge of their situation, but it certainly seems likely the team chemistry improved with the deal.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #3966
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking back on it I was just very disappointed about Fox as I really enjoyed following his progress. I still think he’s gonna run a PP in the NHL one day, but I’m so glad Treliving read the situation and made him another teams problem. Good for Hamilton for rebounding with a good season, Hanifin is much better in his own end imo and doesn’t take Hamilton’s idiotic penalties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #3967
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good on management not being stubborn and just trading a player that they most likely knew would not sign with them. Fox is a great prospect and should be having a hell of an NHL future, but he didn't want to partake that journey with us as the team. Luckily, we made a blockbuster trade that made our team so much better. Hanifin is our #3 and Lindholm has been such a complimentary player next to Gaudreau and Monahan.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #3968
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's probably not such a good idea to publicly talk about how successful this trade has been for Calgary at this point. Lot of other GM's are gonna be gun shy with Treliving.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #3969
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Good on management not being stubborn and just trading a player that they most likely knew would not sign with them. Fox is a great prospect and should be having a hell of an NHL future, but he didn't want to partake that journey with us as the team. Luckily, we made a blockbuster trade that made our team so much better. Hanifin is our #3 and Lindholm has been such a complimentary player next to Gaudreau and Monahan.

Part of me wonders if he regrets not singing here, seeing how the Flames have used some very young Dmen throughout the season. I think Fox would’ve been given The chance to be part of this team. I’m sure he will be very happy with his Harvard degree, as I would, but it’s hard to not think he won’t be having second thoughts especially if the flames go deep this year.

Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #3970
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Part of me wonders if he regrets not singing here, seeing how the Flames have used some very young Dmen throughout the season. I think Fox would’ve been given The chance to be part of this team. I’m sure he will be very happy with his Harvard degree, as I would, but it’s hard to not think he won’t be having second thoughts especially if the flames go deep this year.

Maybe, but with Kylingon, Anderson, and Valamaki ahead of him even with Stones injury it would have been tough for him to get NHL games in.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #3971
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
It's probably not such a good idea to publicly talk about how successful this trade has been for Calgary at this point. Lot of other GM's are gonna be gun shy with Treliving.
No they're not. First of all, all have achieved the pinnacle of their profession, and don't lack confidence. Second, every one of them understands that players are people and it isn't an exact science. They all believe they have a good handle on their own players and are comfortable making trades.

They aren't going to fear a colleague, simply because he won a trade.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #3972
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
No they're not. First of all, all have achieved the pinnacle of their profession, and don't lack confidence. Second, every one of them understands that players are people and it isn't an exact science. They all believe they have a good handle on their own players and are comfortable making trades.

They aren't going to fear a colleague, simply because he won a trade.
Yeah, they just take all the offers of GMs interested in their player(s) and pull the trigger on whatever deal they think gives them the best future. "I like the player Treliving is offering but remember that other trade? **** 'em, I'll take the player I don't want as much!".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:59 PM   #3973
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Carolina may still feel that they did fine in the trade too, btw. If Lindholm was a lacklustre forward there and Hanifin a guy they didn't have a huge need/fit for (no idea, just spitballing) then they may not see it as a huge loss.

We've certainly seen guys leave this team and we shrug and say "Okay, see ya." and they go on to success (Chiasson in Edmonton for example) and we don't freak out about that. It's different if you trade Gilmour for a bag of chips, or Phaneuf for a bunch of junk, but the fact that Lindholm and Hanifin have fit here doesn't mean they would have been great in Carolina - they may have not wanted to stay in Carolina, so having Hamilton under contract for a few years might be well worth the thing for the 'canes.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #3974
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adam (Alan?) Fox does NOT win the Hobey Baker Award. Was a finalist but the award went to Calgary kid Cale Makar, who could sign with the Avalanche and be in the lineup as early as Game 3 (National Championship game is on Saturday which means he'll likely turn pro regardless of the outcome).

EDIT: Apologies -- didn't realize there was a more recent Adam Fox thread

Last edited by tvp2003; 04-12-2019 at 05:19 PM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #3975
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Adam (Alan?) Fox does NOT win the Hobey Baker Award. Was a finalist but the award went to Calgary kid Cale Makar, who could sign with the Avalanche and be in the lineup as early as Game 3 (National Championship game is on Saturday which means he'll likely turn pro regardless of the outcome).

EDIT: Apologies -- didn't realize there was a more recent Adam Fox thread
Can he join game 3 for the Avs' if he wasnt signed before TDL? I thought any signings make them ineligible.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #3976
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Can he join game 3 for the Avs' if he wasnt signed before TDL? I thought any signings make them ineligible.
Yes, college signings can join their teams for the playoffs.

Chris Kreider is a good example. He made his NHL debut in the playoffs with the Rangers after Boston College won the national championship in 2012.
cKy
Old 09-07-2019, 10:18 PM   #3977
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Adam Fox had 2G 3A for 5pts and was +5 with 7 shots tonight in a prospects game for the Rangers. Yikes.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #3978
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, hes twice removed from CGY now. And I really do love what we got on our team because of moving him. Let him be their next brian leetch for all I care. Hope he does.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #3979
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Still doesn't change that he was never going to sign here (or in Carolina, for that matter)

When considering this trade, he's a complete non-factor in my mind

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #3980
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People here should welcome his success. Our scouting staff found him later in the draft. Which points to another high end player our team was able to identify with a lower value pick. Shows we have some talented guys looking for "talent" come draft day. Long term success will depend on our scouting staff, and they seem to know what they're doing.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote