Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #101
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
I assume by your numbering that your either not considering Generations as a nu-trek movie, or you're forgetting one.

I'm trying to figure out if you thought First Contact was terrible and erased Nemesis from your memory.
He’s talking about the J J Abrams series — Star Trek, Into Darkness, and Beyond.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Ped
Old 01-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #102
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

D'oh!

Brain fart!

Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #103
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
D'oh!

Brain fart!

I'd never heard Nu-Trek used before either. I've been calling the new ones the Abramsverse.

Supposedly the new Trek movies are officially known as the "Kelvin Timeline" after the ship destroyed in the first one.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #104
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What in the blue Frack

https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/11/kur...pock-for-kirk/

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #105
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I'd never heard Nu-Trek used before either. I've been calling the new ones the Abramsverse.

Supposedly the new Trek movies are officially known as the "Kelvin Timeline" after the ship destroyed in the first one.

I know he wrote Nu, but for some reason I kept seeing NG
Old 01-13-2019, 11:48 PM   #106
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

CC, I'm not going to comment on the state of Star Trek as you wrote it, as I agree with most of it. However, I did notice a rather strong uptick in the quality of Enterprise season 4, after Manny Coto was brought in to try and right the sinking ship.

If Enterprise had made it 7 seasons (they even let Voyager get that far...), I actually believe that it could have redeemed itself.

The problem seems to be all with the people behind the curtain.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:58 PM   #107
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
CC, I'm not going to comment on the state of Star Trek as you wrote it, as I agree with most of it. However, I did notice a rather strong uptick in the quality of Enterprise season 4, after Manny Coto was brought in to try and right the sinking ship.

If Enterprise had made it 7 seasons (they even let Voyager get that far...), I actually believe that it could have redeemed itself.

And then they ended Enterprise with one of the worst series finales of all time. I mean, never mind the fact that it was Riker/Troi, but it was a very noticeably older and stouter Riker/Troi that they tried to pass off as next gen
Old 01-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #108
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

The best Enterprise Story Arc was the Mirror Universe story line. To me they got it right and it linked nicely to TOS Mirror Mirror.

The writing was strong, and all of the characters did a good job of it. Then they ended the series with three really bad episodes including the Series Finale which just leaves you with a bitter taste in your mouth as Fat Riker is really the main character and Troi mumbles about and talks about eating ice cream with Barkley.

I do agree that Enterprise did improve in the fourth season, but they could have done so much more with it.

I will give them credit for one of the greatest moments of unintended humor when the aliens gave the Klingons holo deck technology and one of the Klingon's shouts that he can see his house from here.

In terms of series.

TOS - I have a blind spot to the series, but the first two seasons would have been incredible TV at the time. The third season suffered from a loss of budget, but they still had some good episodes and some horrible ones including Spock becoming a freaking Space Hippy.

Deep Space 9 - I'm a fan of the darker universe in my science fiction and DS9 really checked a lot of boxes for me. They had a genuinely likable cast, and some great emotional moments. The Dominion War was really well done.

TNG - Ok, I'm going to take heat for putting it in third. But even though they had some really solid episodes. The whole preachy humanity really drove me crazy. Towards the end you saw the focus shift to Picard and Data and I think it lost its way. There was way to much science invention to solve their problems as well.

Enterprise - Yup, liked it better the Voyager. They had a chance to really key focus in on the Enterprise being low tech to every one else. Some of the acting and characters were really wooden and they knew it so they flashed a lot of T'Pol side boob.

Voyager - A train wreck from the start, that really upped the science the shyte out of solutions on the fly. Hopefully later they find out that exposure to inverse tachyon pulses cause cancer to the crew. The characters weren't that interesting at all. The Villains were never great except for the one where Red Forman called them dumba$$es and tried to erase them from time. They completely ruined the Borg.

Discovery - The first season was a train wreck, the characters unlikeable, the Villains stupid, and the whole thing was un even. The Klingon look was silly and they talked like a bad stereotype of 1960's style hollywood indians. The Mirror Universe story like was just stupid and Lorca's downfall was just dumb.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #109
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The Star Trek franchise has been pretty mediocre for years.

Every other TOS movie so far has been crap.

Next Generation is outright crap.

- Star Trek fans circa 1988.

Basically, there's a whole sect of Trek fans that actually hate most of the franchise, are very impatient, and forget that a lot of it throughout history has been pretty bad (including a lot of TOS).

As far as first seasons of Trek go, Discovery is actually one of the better ones. Probably only behind TOS, as the other four modern shows all had debut seasons that waned between middling and terrible.

Of the 720 episodes of Star Trek, how many would you say are truly great? 50? That's less than 10%. Then there's a lot of 'good' episodes, a lot of 'bad' episodes, and a lot of forgettable stuff in-between,

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 01-14-2019 at 10:40 AM.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #110
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

On one hand I'm disappointed that it was canceled because I generally found the films enjoyable, they werent blowing your socks off but they were largely entertaining.

I had no idea how unprofitable they were though. Thats a surprise to me.

So yeah, I can see the studio wanting to cut costs, but I can also understand fairly big-name actors not wanting to take a pay-cut to star in underperforming films.

In the end though, this is vintage Star Trek. It just wouldnt be the same without the actors warring with the studios and general strife and turmoil.

Its like 1994 all over again...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #111
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Details starting to come out about the new Picard series:

Quote:
When it will air: CBS All Access Executive Vice President of Original Content Julie McNamara told the press at the Television Critics Association winter press tour on Wednesday that the series is expected to drop at the end of 2019.
Where you can watch it if you don't have CBS All Access: If you don't live in the United States or Canada, and thus don't have CBS All Access, you can still watch Star Trek: Picard! Amazon Prime will be distributing the series for international audiences.
When and where it will shoot: Kurtzman told a small group of reporters including TV Guide that the show will begin shooting in mid-April in Los Angeles.
It will not be the same Picard you're used to: The new series takes place 20 years after Next Gen ended, in approximately 2399 — putting it further in the future than any previous Trek iteration.
"Patrick was very clear to us in the beginning. He did not want to repeat what he had already done. And by the way, it's been 20-plus years, so he couldn't possibly be that same person anymore," Kurtzman teased. "And so the question becomes: What has happened to him in that period of time? Have there been occurrences that force him to reckon with choices that he's made in his life? How do you hold on to being the person everybody loved when the circumstances around you may have changed so radically? Those are the big questions that we're asking."

Quote:
The destruction of Romulus will play into the series: That's all Kurtzman would say. It plays a part, but we'll have to wait and see what exactly that is.
Stewart is guiding the train about what's right for the character: Stewart reportedly told Kurtzman and the writers, "I want you have the freedom to explore this character from a new perspective, and I will always know in my gut if it feels like something he would or wouldn't do." Kurtzman said the writers are prioritizing thinking about Picard's feelings and perspective, but ultimately Stewart has the say in what feels correct.
"We feel confident that we're making choices that he would be happy with and is happy with because ultimately he's a producer on the show, too, and he gets as much of a say," Kurtzman said.
The pilot has found its history-making director: Hanelle Culpepper has been selected to direct the first two episodes of the series, breaking ground as the first female director to launch a new Star Trek series in franchise history. Culpepper previously helmed two episodes of Discovery.
"Hanelle is a gifted and dynamic filmmaker whose directorial choices are always deeply rooted in character," Kurtzman said in a statement. "I've been a huge fan of her work since she started with us on Discovery and she's the perfect person to re-introduce the beloved character of Picard to longtime fans and new viewers alike. We're thrilled she's joining our Trek family on this next adventure."
The series has enlisted some other familiar faces: Big Little Lies hunk Santiago Cabrera and Blindspot's Michelle Hurd have been added as series regulars, but details about who they're playing remain tightly under wraps. The cast will also include American Horror Story: Cult's Alison Pill, Hamilton alum Isa Briones, and The Crown's Harry Treadaway.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/star-tr...thing-to-know/
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #112
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking forward to seeing what direction they take with this character and his story. Stewart is awesome in pretty much everything he's in, so I have faith that this will be a quality show. Let's just hope the writing is on par with Stewart's acting chops.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #113
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

This has potential if they do it right. It can’t be too dark but may work better as a bit of a character study. I doubt it’ll be as lighthearted as TNG.

Or maybe it’s No Country For Old Men but in space and Stewart plays the Tommy Lee Jones character.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:21 PM   #114
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don;t love the name Star Trek: Picard, but I imagine "The Next Generation" didn't go over well at first

Ah, nobody trashes Star Trek like Star Trek fans
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #115
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hated the title, “the next generation“ when I first heard it. It just sounded so hokey and lame.

Could be interesting. Maybe he will play the commandant of Starfleet Academy - or an instructor, Professor P.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:09 PM   #116
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I want a crazed Picard walking around with no pants on stuck in the holodeck pressing random buttons that send him into different holo adventures every week.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #117
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I want a crazed Picard walking around with no pants on stuck in the holodeck pressing random buttons that send him into different holo adventures every week.
Hopefully they’ve downloaded new adventures to the hololibrary so that he’s not stuck in an endless loop of Sherlock Holmes, Wild West, and prohibition era gangster stories.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:13 PM   #118
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I just watched one of my favourite TNG episodes Cause and Effect. Made me think we should get a follow up on the USS Bozeman with Kelsey Grammar reprising his role as Captain.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 09:36 PM   #119
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

After Discovery, Game of Thrones, Endgame, etc. I'm worried about fan expectations for Picard.

It feels like fans these days prefer picking apart new editions to their favourite franchises until they're no fun anymore.

I don't get it. It takes a lot for me not to suspend my disbelief. I go into most shows/movies with the desire to just be entertained. I don't necessarily want to turn off my mind, but I also don't want to focus on minor inconsistencies in cannon or the timeline.

Hopefully Picard is given a chance and people aren't already holding it to a standard that no Star Trek show has been able to attain. TOS, TNG, DS9, etc, etc have so many warts for shows it's amazing it's as popular as it is.

Could you imagine if a any of the shows I mentioned had episodes like Sub Rosa, Masks or Journey’s End as episodes in their final season?

Last edited by KTrain; 05-16-2019 at 10:37 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 10:24 PM   #120
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just watched "Valiant" on DS9 tonight the episode where Red Squad had command of a Defiant Class Starship.

Amazing episode