Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2019, 11:28 PM   #61
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Would he bite for 3.75mil x 8?
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:01 AM   #62
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bennett is not being traded. /Close thread.
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:19 AM   #63
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think Bennett will be traded. He’s really grown this year as a player. I don’t think the Flames are shopping him, and I don’t want them to.

That said, if you can package him for a guy of Mark Stone’s caliber then I think you absolutely have to look at it. While I agree Bennett is a guy you don’t want to trade, he’s also not a guy who is untouchable. IMO Stone is a significant upgrade over Bennett. If the ask is something like Bennett and a 1st then I would be okay losing Bennett. You have to give to get, and giving up Bennett wouldn’t be insignificant.

Again, I don’t want them to trade Bennett. If they’re in on Stone I think and hope they’ll try to avoid losing him at all costs. I’m just saying if you’re going to trade the guy it better be for a legitimate superstar like Stone and not for draft picks so some other team can reclaim him.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:23 AM   #64
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd sooner deal Kylington or Andersson than Bennett.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 03:00 AM   #65
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Bennett would be an idiot to take that, if he's smart and full of confidence he'll do a 1 year deal for around 3.5m or ask for 3 X $4m.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:58 AM   #66
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had my doubts about Benny over the past few years, but this year he seems to be getting it-he looks confident, is making plays, being aggressive without taking so many penalties. Under Gulutzan, the play was regularly dying on his stick. We're going to need him in the playoffs, and I think if we traded him away we would regret it in the future.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:56 AM   #67
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still wouldn't write Bennett off as a WYSIWYG type right now. He is still young enough, and he has more than enough 'reasons or excuses' that one can say his development got a bit stalled thus far in his early career.

I think if we were to poll this community, I bet that a very high percentage of posters here would pick: "Bennett has taken a step this season" over "Bennett is no better than he was last season."

I really believe that until a player stops taking steps forward, at least more into their mid 20's, that is when the player is more or less a finished product. We have seen Lindholm take a GIANT leap forward this year. Ferland was a relatively late bloomer who had to overcome some personal issues. Bennett had his shoulder, his mom's cancer, Gulutzan's 'coaching' in which it seemed he lost all confidence in himself, a lack of skilled players to play with, and probably more stuff than we know.

I won't write him off as a 1st line/PPG player yet. I don't expect him to be one, but it would surprise me less if he became a PPG than a player who is more or less finished developing and this is 'it'. He took a step this year, maybe he takes another in the playoffs/next year... we simply don't exactly know at what point he plateaus.

Either way, the player that Bennett is today, is a player that helps the Flames win, IMO. How much help he provides the Flames over the years is the big question, but Bennett is a valuable player to Calgary today, and I suspect he will be even more valuable in the playoffs.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 05:07 AM   #68
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Zero chance of that.

Bennett has little risk of being unable to obtain an NHL job, so there is little reason for him to take the security of of a long term deal at a (relatively)low salary.

You only tend to see deals like this for players with zero upside.

I don't see Bennett betting against himself.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:30 AM   #69
Mitt31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Zero chance of that.

Bennett has little risk of being unable to obtain an NHL job, so there is little reason for him to take the security of of a long term deal at a (relatively)low salary.

Some players will take the money and run North to Edmonton, and others will see the benefits of a winning team for less.

I can picture Calgary as the NHL ‘s version of the Patriots over the next 15 years and they have been getting players to sign for less and buy into Team

Time will tell, but I think Bennett will be nice and comfy on this team fighting for cups rather then fighting for a playoff spot

"I'll have to photocopy that for my kids.
One day, I'll be trying to talk hockey and they'll be saying, 'The game has passed you by, dad.' I'll be able to say, 'Ovechkin's on it, and he's still lighting it up.' " - Jarome Iginla
Mitt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:43 AM   #70
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Zero chance of that.

Which is exactly why you trade him. With the rest of the roster, you can't afford to make many mistakes in salary. Overpaying Bennett is no different than over paying Lance Bouma (past) or James Neal (current). The difference between those two players is a track record, which Bennett does not have. I agree that Bennett will be able to find a NHL job, but not for the dollars being floated. Bennett is a slightly worse version of Charlie Coyle, and the Wild were trying to dump that $3.2M salary for some time. The Flames need to be very careful with Bennett. If he wants to be paid for potential, you ship him out of town. He's way past that point in his career.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #71
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Which is exactly why you trade him. With the rest of the roster, you can't afford to make many mistakes in salary. Overpaying Bennett is no different than over paying Lance Bouma (past) or James Neal (current). The difference between those two players is a track record, which Bennett does not have. I agree that Bennett will be able to find a NHL job, but not for the dollars being floated. Bennett is a slightly worse version of Charlie Coyle, and the Wild were trying to dump that $3.2M salary for some time. The Flames need to be very careful with Bennett. If he wants to be paid for potential, you ship him out of town. He's way past that point in his career.
You don't have to keep him. You don't have to pay him.

But this isn't a potential issue.

Bennett is the 199th ranked ppg forward that has played a minimal of 40 games. Forward #199 made 2.9M this year. So that's the market.

I think Bennett is the $3M range with inflation is right where he's at. If he wants $3.5 you say no.

And he's 22 ... he's not way past potential unless he's trying to get paid as a 4th overall player.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #72
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I've had my doubts about Benny over the past few years, but this year he seems to be getting it-he looks confident, is making plays, being aggressive without taking so many penalties. Under Gulutzan, the play was regularly dying on his stick. We're going to need him in the playoffs, and I think if we traded him away we would regret it in the future.
I highly doubt we’d regret it if it means Stone coming the other way. Like nearly zero chance.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #73
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
I highly doubt we’d regret it if it means Stone coming the other way. Like nearly zero chance.
I'd like to keep Bennett, but then I'd like to keep lots of the things being discussed. If the right trade comes along and Bennett's insertion means say you keep all three young defensemen and a 1st (not 2 1st going) you have to do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 08:43 AM   #74
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
You don't have to keep him. You don't have to pay him.

But this isn't a potential issue.

Bennett is the 199th ranked ppg forward that has played a minimal of 40 games. Forward #199 made 2.9M this year. So that's the market.

I think Bennett is the $3M range with inflation is right where he's at. If he wants $3.5 you say no.

And he's 22 ... he's not way past potential unless he's trying to get paid as a 4th overall player.

We agree. Anything north of $3M is going to be an over-pay. Looking at his track record and performance, I would say $2.5-2.75M is the max I would pay, but I'm not a fan of paying guys a lot without showing consistency in their game. It would be interesting to know how negotiations go with the Bennett camp.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #75
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
We agree. Anything north of $3M is going to be an over-pay. Looking at his track record and performance, I would say $2.5-2.75M is the max I would pay, but I'm not a fan of paying guys a lot without showing consistency in their game. It would be interesting to know how negotiations go with the Bennett camp.
I think it's 3m

You won't get him for 2.5-2.75, that would be a pretty poor effort from his agent.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #76
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I predict 2 year deal at $4 Mill per coming from Edm as an offer sheet.

Only a 2nd round pick in comp

But we've talked about this in other threads
Old 02-25-2019, 10:23 AM   #77
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think it's 3m

You won't get him for 2.5-2.75, that would be a pretty poor effort from his agent.
Yeah, and I doubt there's a lot of term because of the situation. Bennett probably feels like he (a) hasn't earned the big pay day yet but (b) he still might in the future. His contract progression might look a lot like Hayes.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #78
Loyal and True
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks Tre!
Loyal and True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #79
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote: