Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #41
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

If you think about it, both of Trelivings FA signings that have kind of not really worked out were both attempts at finding a Bennett type player. Supporting player that's tough and can score. Ok, his scoring isn't quite there, but I think he's popular in the room for standing up for his team mates, and he seems to be starting to remember how to score.

Trade Bennett now and then go looking for another Brouwer/Neal in the off season? No thanks. I want to see this kid in Calgary for a long time.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 05:43 AM   #42
Mitt31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’d say Bennett is the player who will replace and upgrade Backlund
It took a while for 11 to become who he is today and I can see Bennett being Backlund 2.0

"I'll have to photocopy that for my kids.
One day, I'll be trying to talk hockey and they'll be saying, 'The game has passed you by, dad.' I'll be able to say, 'Ovechkin's on it, and he's still lighting it up.' " - Jarome Iginla
Mitt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #43
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Bennett has improved a lot this year but if the consensus is that you can’t trade him if it means acquiring a Mark Stone who probably re-signs then I don’t know what to say to this fan base.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #44
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

how would Stone re-sign? There's this thing called salary cap. Re-signing Tkachuk will be difficult enough, plus we'll need to find a goalie as well as re-sign Rittich and Bennett.

Love Bennett. Still needs to score more but his all-around play has been really solid this season.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #45
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like the edge and physicality that Bennett brings to the table and it'd be difficult to find another player with his bulldog like game. But 2 things for me, what number does Sam Bennett want for an extension? If it's too high, I'd be concerned with whether or not the team can afford his next cap hit. The second thing is, if Ottawa wanted him in a trade to land us a player like Mark Stone who's a significant upgrade, I think I'd really have a hard time saying no.

At a good cap hit though, I think Sam Bennett could be great value for everything he brings to the table. I still think he has untapped 20-25 goal potential though. But if only he could transform his game into more of a Ryan Smyth style game where his net front presence and dogged determination is a constant, then he'll be Flame for life.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #46
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
how would Stone re-sign? There's this thing called salary cap. Re-signing Tkachuk will be difficult enough, plus we'll need to find a goalie as well as re-sign Rittich and Bennett.

Love Bennett. Still needs to score more but his all-around play has been really solid this season.
Where there's a will, there's a way. Frolik, Stone and Czarnik's cap hits would probably cover all of his extension. Although, somehow miraculously moving Neal's contract would probably be the better long term answer as having a near $6 million dollar cap hit on the 3rd line wouldn't necessarily be sustainable going forward.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #47
Loyal and True
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rental acquisition vs. Long term acquisition are two completely different debates. Anyone can be considered trade bait if you are getting long term assets back. Ferland and Dougie earned a nice return.

Rentals for Bennett (plus plus) is so dumb. 20 reg season games and one playoff run with (still) long odds of a cup.

The Flames cup window is just starting to open. No need to panic yet. Probaby wouldn't surprise me if they lose a round this year and win a cup another year.

Now tell me how you fit a high end player into next year's cap after re-signing Tkachuk without losing too much depth required to make a cup run next year.

Last edited by Loyal and True; 02-20-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Loyal and True is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loyal and True For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #48
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal and True View Post
Now tell me how you fit a high end player into next year's cap after re-signing Tkachuk without losing too much depth required to make a cup run next year.
You look at the fact that we have Andersson, Kylington, and Valimaki. You then look at Stone and Brodie and know that their days as a Flame are over as of the end of this season, and you also look at Frolik and his agent and can probably imagine a world where he's no longer here (he'd effectively have to go the other way).

Here:

Gaudreau (6.75) - Monahan (6.375) - Lindholm (4.85)
Tkachuk (8) - Backlund (5.35) - Jankowski (1.675)
Bennett (4) - Duchene (8) - Neal (5.75)
Mangiapane (0.8) - Ryan (3.125) - Czarnik (1.25)

Giordano (6.75) - Andersson (.755)
Hanifin (4.95) - Hamonic (3.857)
Kylington (.730) - Valimaki (.894)

Buy-out: Brouwer (1.5)

Cap-Hit: $75,362,975
Bonuses: $565,00

Cap-Space on a projected $83M Cap: $7,637,025

$7.6M to sign 2 goalies, a 13th forward and a 7th defenceman? Quite feasible.

Include Frolik in the trade for whoever we acquire for cap purposes, and then trade Stone and Brodie at the draft. Three trades between now and Day 2 of NHL Entry Draft isn't even that creative, and we have a very creative GM.

...that said, to stay on topic - no way in hell should this team be trading Bennett. Dude is back on track and the 6th best forward on the 2nd best team in the NHL, and he's only 22.

Last edited by ComixZone; 02-20-2019 at 08:26 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #49
sekimet
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Every once in a while common sense rains supreme on CP.

I agree 100% Sam Bennet is not an asset to give up on yet. It says mountains about his character that he just continues to plug away. The last thing a contending team does is give up on young potential impact players. And as of today Sam Bennet is a major impact player. I hope I am not alone when I watch the games and see that. That man is giving so much effort and standing up for teammates. I guess what I am saying is YOU WIN WITH PLAYERS LIKE SAM BENNET.
sekimet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sekimet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #50
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekimet View Post
Every once in a while common sense rains supreme on CP.

I agree 100% Sam Bennet is not an asset to give up on yet. It says mountains about his character that he just continues to plug away. The last thing a contending team does is give up on young potential impact players. And as of today Sam Bennet is a major impact player. I hope I am not alone when I watch the games and see that. That man is giving so much effort and standing up for teammates. I guess what I am saying is YOU WIN WITH PLAYERS LIKE SAM BENNET.
Reigns. Bennett.

I don't know about "major impact player" especially game in and game out. He's certainly developing into a decent third line guy.

The article has an unfortunate "do it all" tag line that has cause a lot of this debate. When I think of an NHLer who can do it all I think of huge guys who can skate well, play on the top line and score a lot. Bennett is not there yet and may never be. He's not a bust. He's not a top player.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #51
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Didn't want to add to the Stone thread becoming a Bennett thread so grabbed this one for a comment / bump.

The issue with Bennett for me is the two extremes on the guy.

I don't see him turning into a star, or a top line player ... I think that ship has sailed. I see him as a second line guy as a high end, but now with some intangibles that are emerging that have a lot of value.

I also don't see him as a third line guy, or a guy that literally can't do anything on the ice (see New Era monthly drive by in the Stone topic), nor would I say that nothing about his skillset is unique (another comment).

Two extremes that literally bring nothing to the topic.

If they want to get some salary off the books, and including Bennett gets Ottawa away from prospect X, or pick Y and Treliving deems that smart I get it, and you say goodbye to Bennett.

But the guy isn't a throw in, he's a good middle roster player that effects games in the way he plays. To ignore that is silly.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #52
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Didn't want to add to the Stone thread becoming a Bennett thread so grabbed this one for a comment / bump.

I don't see him turning into a star, or a top line player ... I think that ship has sailed. I see him as a second line guy as a high end, but now with some intangibles that are emerging that have a lot of value.

I also don't see him as a third line guy, or a guy that literally can't do anything on the ice (see New Era monthly drive by in the Stone topic), nor would I say that nothing about his skillset is unique (another comment).

If they want to get some salary off the books, and including Bennett gets Ottawa away from prospect X, or pick Y and Treliving deems that smart I get it, and you say goodbye to Bennett.

But the guy isn't a throw in, he's a good middle roster player that effects games in the way he plays. To ignore that is silly.
Has anyone really considered him a throw in tho? I think if Bennett is going the other way then he is the center piece of our offer. Other people would rather offer different pieces but I’m not sure I agree with it. With the way Dube has played this year I’m not sure which one has more value at this point. Bennett definitely better player at the moment, and I do think he has some potential left, but Dube is starting to look like he could be a legitimate 2nd line center or better now. I’d probably trade one of Kylington or Andersson over Bennett but it isn’t a huge gap. Bennett moving also solves some of the potential cap issues this off season tbh.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #53
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

If trading Bennett as a part of the package to get Stone works, then I am in. But it has to be an impact trade of that kind, not just giving up.

Bennett has had a few cracks at being part of the top 6, and he has not grabbed that. If you can swing a deal to lock in your top 6, he is expendable IMO. Consider that he is due for a raise (of exactly how much is up for debate) that money could be better used elsewhere.

In the scenario the Flames get Stone and sign him and Tkachuk, the bottom 6 needs to have a lot of ELC/min guys to make it work. For better or worse, Neal will still be there, and Ryan has been a steadying influence, but places will have to go to guys like Mangiapane, Dube, etc. paying a guys middling wages to see what happens would be a luxury the team could not afford, unless you can offload Neal (I am assuming Frolik is gone in any case)
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #54
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

My sentiments as well.

And while I would prefer to keep him, I could live with him being the (large) centerpiece simply because of the cap space next year. But I still think we won't need to include him.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:35 PM   #55
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
After reading about the cancer thing, it's no surprise he's taking longer to progress.
Cancer thing? What's that in reference to?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:43 PM   #56
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Cancer thing? What's that in reference to?

Mom was diagnosed with cancer two (?) years ago I believe.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:46 PM   #57
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Mom was diagnosed with cancer two (?) years ago I believe.
Oh, somehow I missed that.

That's awful.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #58
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Oh, somehow I missed that.

That's awful.

Just found it in the George Johnson article:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/my-g...ng/c-304931794
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #59
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Don't you dare trade Sam Bennett.

I blame GG for Bennett’s last two seasons , he frankly had no clue how to use him just like he had no idea on how to use most of the roster. Peters seems to have helped Bennett find consistency and that consistency isn’t shown in the box score. Just by the eye test Bennett looks much more confident carrying the puck through the neutral zone and using the boards. My biggest complaint is that his finishing could be better but he’s really improved in all aspects this season and I dial that down to much better coaching and a player who feels much more comfortable within the system. I agree, don’t trade him, not when he’s actually showing signs of progression. He really has a unique skill set that if developed correctly can make him way more valuable than he is currently. I’m saying that as a former Bennett hater as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 02-24-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #60
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Against Ottawa, Bennett’s skill set came in handy. Hard on the forecheck, knocks the guy off the puck, follows up with the hockey smarts to feed Backlund in the slot.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: