Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #21
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
This couldn't go into the random thoughts thread? or the trade speculation thread? Not sure why your opinion deserves a new thread. Should we create another thread for why he should be traded?

Some fans don't mind trading him for a Mark Stone type of players. Others like you, don't want to trade him. All of your points have been mentioned tons of times in the trade speculation thread and many others.
And in your opinion is this post more or less useful than the thread?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #22
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal and True View Post
I don't post often these days but I am very concerned with sentiment heard on radio (once in awhile) regarding hypothetical trade of Bennett (plus picks etc) to acquire a Mark-Stone-UFA-type rental.

This would be a huge mistake!

Bennett is 22 and an RFA. As a left shot winger he is obviously behind Gaudreau and Tkachuk on the depth chart. Does that make him a bust 4th overall pick? Hell no. Flames are blessed to have Johnny and Matthew, and having Bennett as 3rd LW (perhaps 2nd line RW)is a huge asset long term.

True, Bennett has not developed as rapidly as other top picks, but he has had quality young assets on his team that needed their share of opportunity.

No need to rehash reasons why he is where he is on the depth chart. The fact is, he is now finding his role on a cup contending team (yes they are).

October was not good for Mr. Bennett. Then Nov 1 came and Janko gets run over by Ian Cole, and Sammy finds his niche. 17 PIM later and look what you have.

In 43GP since, Sammy has 9G 11A and 20 points and 56 PIM (edit- excluding 17 PIM above) which are usually the good kind of PIM. That is almost 20G and 40P pace over 82 games plus the hard hitting, drop the gloves, stand up for teammates guy this team needs long term. Mix in the occasional iconic mustache and I don't know what else to say.

Nevermind whether he has another 4 goal game or hits 40 goals in a season like some people hoped. This guy is a playoff performer and you don't want to throw this away for a single playoff run in 2019.

Just Don't Do It.
Well said! I feel the exact way about Benny on this team. He is one of those character guys that every team needs to be successful. Plus as you point out, he is only 22 years old, and has years to become even better than he already is. Bennett is a staple on this team, and I, like you, hope he isn't going anywhere for a very long time.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #23
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Another Bennett fanboy thread. I don't think there have even been any legitimate rumors linking Bennett to them. Was this necessary?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #24
FightinSioux
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe that's why Sam Bennett shaved his mustache...
FightinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #25
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Another Bennett fanboy thread. I don't think there have even been any legitimate rumors linking Bennett to them. Was this necessary?
Feel free to post a subject that will bury this one
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #26
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
This couldn't go into the random thoughts thread? or the trade speculation thread? Not sure why your opinion deserves a new thread. Should we create another thread for why he should be traded?

Some fans don't mind trading him for a Mark Stone type of players. Others like you, don't want to trade him. All of your points have been mentioned tons of times in the trade speculation thread and many others.
Can you whiners please stop bitching about the trade thread already? The thing grows by 100+ posts per day and is often full of the same thoughts over and over. Unless you're sitting and reading it all day long, there's way too many posts in there to catch up on. The Sam Bennett topic is something that interests me, and I wouldn't have even known it got mentioned on the radio if this was not it's own thread.

And who the hell cares if a new thread is created? If nobody is interested, it'll drop past the first page pretty quickly. Judging by the fact this is already past 20 posts, looks like people care about this topic.

TL;DR, STFU.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #27
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
And in your opinion is this post more or less useful than the thread?
Definitely more useful. Hopefully the OP learns for next time. Any other questions?
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #28
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Definitely more useful. Hopefully the OP learns for next time. Any other questions?
Yes, he learned to ignore you most likely.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #29
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett's low production means he'll be cheap to re-sign. Pretty good chance he outplays his next contract. Which is always a good thing.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #30
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Love to read all the threads so that I can find out exactly what the so called experts have to say about who's right, who's wrong and what threads are allowed to start. Maybe those experts should stick to stating an opinion rather than criticizing. Myself, I want Bennet to stay.

Last edited by Teroy; 02-19-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #31
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade Sam Bennett right now if it makes this team better. He is incredibly replaceable
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #32
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yawn...
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #33
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Trade Sam Bennett right now if it makes this team better. He is incredibly replaceable
Oh my god yes. If you can get Mark Stone for Sam Bennett you do that in a heart beat.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #34
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Who in our system can replace him. No one has his physical play, toughness, speed, upside etc.

He is not at the top of our lineup but he is far from “incredibly replaceable” thanks to the intangibles he brings to the table.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #35
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Oh my god yes. If you can get Mark Stone for Sam Bennett you do that in a heart beat.
You don’t though. You add multiple assets on top of Bennett to get Stone. We need Bennett for the playoffs who consistently is one of our better players
In the big game situation.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #36
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree UNLESS the plan is to sign Stone long term. But for a rental no way in hell Bennett should go
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #37
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No, you do not trade Sam or any of our young assets for a rental. All the top players available are basically rentals that will be gone at the end of the year. Better to try and sign them in the off season. I don't buy into the short window panic, if you look at Washington, Tampa Bay, and San Jose they did not panic trade young assets to take a shot. Even when Tampa traded Drouin they got a young player for him in exchange.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #38
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

0.5 ppg players with grit that can move throughout the lineup don't grow on trees but Mark Stones also don't grow on trees. If Bennett is moved I would hope it's a big move that can help the team and also has a long term aspect (extended Stone, for example). If those aspects are there then I'm fine with trading Bennett even though I love him as a player. If we're talking strictly a playoff rental... I'd rather see the Flames hold onto Bennett.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #39
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really does come down to what you are going to get for him. I agree that he adds some sandpaper for a team that doesn't have a lot of that. And, with limited data, he seems to be a better playoff player than a regular season player.
So he wouldn't be a player I'm looking to proactively deal, but if the right trade presents itself, I don't think this team should have many untouchables.
My general approach would be to not tinker too much with the roster. Add without subtracting. But that's tough to do given the limited trade chips overall.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #40
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Of course I don't like the idea of Bennett going the other way for a pure rental. But if it's Mark Stone on a long term deal as part of the return (Bennett plus other assets going to Ottawa) I do that every single time.

Sofa I agree with everything you said except Sam Bennett is not a 0.5 ppg player.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote