Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #21
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayedreflex View Post
Agree - in yesterday's game, it was absurd how much room the Avs had on the numerous 3 on 2's that they had entering the zone. I think this can be partially explained by the D backing off more so that they wouldn't get burned wide by MacKinnon on the outside like they did in previous games, but this gave the Avs way more room to pass it around once they entered the offensive zone. Calgary's forwards need to be way more engaged on the backcheck to take away that space.

From what I saw, it was not only Colorado breaking up the N-S passing from Calgary, but the E-W pass attempts by Calgary (predominantly Johnny) that occurred shortly after Calgary gained the zone. There were at least a half dozen times where Johnny would gain the blue line, button hook back and look for the pass across the ice, but Colorado would intercept and then they would be on an odd man rush with speed in the other direction. No doubt, tighter execution would allow Gaudreau to thread a few passes through like he did often in the regular season - but every miss is going to be costly. I wonder if it would be better if he carried the puck in deeper out wide before looking for a pass - I guess the trouble is that he isn't fast enough to outrun the D consistently enough to prevent getting rubbed out on the boards. Carrying the puck up through the middle hasn't worked well for him either as he kept trying to fight his way through 3 or 4 defenders and getting stripped of the puck. Lindholm has proven tenacious in the past in digging out pucks along the boards - he needs to get back to his earlier season form on that so that it's not all on Johnny to manage possession in the offensive zone.
This is what the Flames do and how Johnny produces. He plays an East West game, passes through the Royal Road etc.

There are many reasons it's not working now I suspect, but this is his game. It didn't work so well against Anaheim in 2017 either.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This is what the Flames do and how Johnny produces. He plays an East West game, passes through the Royal Road etc.

There are many reasons it's not working now I suspect, but this is his game. It didn't work so well against Anaheim in 2017 either.
He also used to cut through the centre, stick-handling between players (I remember an ATL post complaining about their D letting him tiptoe through the tulips), or fake the hook and drive around deeper, for a better back pass when he was followed. His button hook is a lot shallower as well, now. And of course, he used to do a lot behind the net.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:05 AM   #23
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames need to be LESS physical

Their game isn't ever going to be hitting. So stop focusing on it. The players seem more focuses of trying to prove they won't be pushed around then winning on the scoresheet.

You want to defend the Avs? Have the puck. This will stop them from getting shots.

It's back to GG hockey trying to play perfect and win 2-1. Get back to taking chances and having fun, and go win 6-4.

Colorado has done a masterful job of getting Calgary to play their game. Stop worrying about the Avs top line so much, accept the fact they will score a few each game, and go blow the rest of the team out of the water.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #24
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I know we're not blaming the refs, but this game went off the rails on the backs of officiating IMO. Weak call, paired with a bonus 5 on 3 I can't recall ever happening... and the game was over.

The blame lies with the players. A 5 on 3 resulting in 1-0 shouldn't be a back-breaker. But the Flames dug a hole and waited for the clock to run down. Any hope we had of rebounding evaporated along with Hathaway's weak 'holding' call.

Everyone but a handful needs to be better (incl the garbage refs)
Seriously?
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #25
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Seriously?
Seriously
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #26
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Seriously
Study up. You won't have to watch very far.

Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #27
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Study up. You won't have to watch very far.

So I'm assuming something happened in 2004 I forgot about? I don't recall it happening, but I'll bet it wasn't the first time ever

The point was that the game was officiated terribly, but their response was putrid
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote