Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2019, 07:49 PM   #101
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
He probably saw all those stupid after game celebrations the Canes were doing and decided he wanted no part of it.
They're all a bunch of jerks anyways.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:50 PM   #102
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
This kid is going to Tom Erixon himself at this rate.
That's what I was thinking 2
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #103
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This just isn’t fair. When the hell is the NHL going to fix this STUPID rule.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 09:25 PM   #104
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Yes it does impact, but the impact it has is up front when the player chose the school, not when they are deciding to stay in school or leave. The 2 and 19 stat is a reflection that Harvard, relatively speaking, doesn’t attract the top hockey talent, it attracts the smartest people who are also competent at hockey (relatively speaking). Therefore most of their players play out their full 4 years, mostly because that is not only their best academic route, but also their best hockey development route and general best life plan because they likely aren’t ready to make a jump directly to the NHL (like Gaudreau).
not to mention Harvard, like all the Ivy League schools, do not offer athletic scholarships...so the elite players rarely go there

you go based on academic merit (there is financial aid programs, but offered to all students and assessments are based on need, not athletic prowess)...

That's why i have a lot of respect for Stanford. While Stanford does give athletic scholarships, all students need to pass the same admission standards and be accepted into Stanford Admissions before they get a athletic scholarship...just because you happen to be a great BBall player or running back, their admissions won't slide very much (though you would probably be given a spot over another student with equal grades/extracurricular)

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 03-26-2019 at 09:38 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #105
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

People hate the loop hole and it gets directed against those that use it, but it's not about school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don't have a problem with a player using the loop hole. If it is there - the player has the right to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
This just isn’t fair. When the hell is the NHL going to fix this STUPID rule.

It. Is. Not. A. Loophole.

The NHL treats college and junior players the same. Two years to sign a junior player, or they re-enter the draft, two more years to sign or they become UFA. Just like college. It’s a trade off, sign the player early and leave him in junior, or he re-enters the draft, or hold his rights for 4 years, but signing him ends his eligibility in college.

The NCAA needs to stop prohibiting their athletes from signing contracts, at which point they should be allowed to be treated exactly like junior players.

The NHL should do nothing. You’ve invested nothing but an opportunity in the player. They owe the drafting team nothing.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #106
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post

The NHL treats college and junior players the same. Two years to sign a junior player, or they re-enter the draft, two more years to sign or they become UFA. Just like college. It’s a trade off, sign the player early and leave him in junior, or he re-enters the draft, or hold his rights for 4 years, but signing him ends his eligibility in college.

The NCAA needs to stop prohibiting their athletes from signing contracts, at which point they should be allowed to be treated exactly like junior players.

The NHL should do nothing. You’ve invested nothing but an opportunity in the player. They owe the drafting team nothing.
They should be forced to re-enter the draft. Becoming a free agent is stupid.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #107
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
My feeling is if a team offers a certain threshold of contract then they should retain his rights - Similar to a qualifying offer for RFA.

And then after 4 years if the player decides he doesn’t want to sign with that team then another team can sign him but there is set compensation just like RFAs (ex. A pick 1 round higher than originally used on the player).

So for example the Flames/Hurricanes would keep Fox’s rights as long as they “qualify” him with an ELC above a certain threshold (ex. Include all A level bonuses) even after the 4 year period. But after that 4 year period a team would be able to sign Fox to an offer sheet but compensation would be required if Fox agreed to sign with that team (In this case a 2nd round pick would go to Carolina who holds Fox rights).

The drafting team wouldn’t be able to match in this scenario (since its ELCs) but at least the drafting team/team that holds the players rights would get compensation in return.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-26-2019 at 09:57 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #108
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post

That is not going to happen.

This is a problem for the NHL, and expecting the NCAA to solve their problem is foolish and unproductive.

The NHL needs to change the rules.

Having players declare they are draft-ready is a great solution, but I imagine it would be a very difficult change for the league to make.

Another possible solution is changing the 4 years to 5 years. Wouldn't completely eliminate the problem, but it would drastically reduce it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #109
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That is not going to happen.

This is a problem for the NHL, and expecting the NCAA to solve their problem is foolish and unproductive.

The NHL needs to change the rules.

Having players declare they are draft-ready is a great solution, but I imagine it would be a very difficult change for the league to make.

Another possible solution is changing the 4 years to 5 years. Wouldn't completely eliminate the problem, but it would drastically reduce it.

I’m not expecting the NCAA to change. Colleges are funded in part off of the backs of their athletes. It’s business for the NCAA. It’s disgusting though.

Changing from 4 to 5 years isn’t fair to the player. Declaring for the draft is an interesting suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post

No, that’s dumb. Why would you treat junior players so much differently?

It doesn’t happen that often.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:07 PM   #110
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krynn View Post
that's what i was thonking 2
fyp
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:15 PM   #111
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

It won't happen, but wouldn't it be funny if he signed with Calgary

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:44 PM   #112
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that the guy wants to be gifted a roster spot is a red flag for me...

What he doesn't think he can make the Flames or Canes on merit? If a guy is good enough he will play...look at the Flames D this season.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:59 PM   #113
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The fact that the guy wants to be gifted a roster spot is a red flag for me.
Is that a fact though?
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:02 AM   #114
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The fact that the guy wants to be gifted a roster spot is a red flag for me...

What he doesn't think he can make the Flames or Canes on merit? If a guy is good enough he will play...look at the Flames D this season.
Where did he say this?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:28 AM   #115
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Good for him. He’s playing by the rules.
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:49 AM   #116
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Treliving is a wizard.
I'm waiting for him to twirl his wand and signs Fox as a FA, then he'll be a grand wizard

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 03-27-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 AM   #117
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I posted this in the thread about the trade but if the NHL is wanting to do something about this then simply change your college entry rules that a player must declare for the draft like football etc. If a player feels he is ready to leave school and take his shot at pro hockey then he must state that intention and forgo the rest of his college playing time. If the education is important to them they can always attend summer sessions like some pro football guys do.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #118
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Don't understand the appeal, at all.
NYR has probably the best player experiences in the league. They fly on private jets, hired cars, meals/snacks at the rink, etc.

They're literally treated like Royalty.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #119
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I'm not sure why everyone seems to be gleefully patting Calgary on the back for the "fleecing" when the majority of posters on the board though Treliving should have been fired for the trade.

And it's amazing how quickly Fox's prospect status fell after the trade.

Fox told Calgary he wouldn't sign with them. His statement wasn't, to my knowledge, global.
Lol I don't get the hate for Cobra. While maybe not majority of the board, a lot of people were freaking out and calling for Tre's head.

Ain't nothing wrong with calling out the people who pull out the pitchforks at every opportunity.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #120
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
NYR has probably the best player experiences in the league. They fly on private jets, hired cars, meals/snacks at the rink, etc.

They're literally treated like Royalty.
every team flies on chartered private jets - and there is always food at the arena including chefs around after the morning skate to make sure they are fed right.
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote