Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #41
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

No one going to mention all the rookies that Treliving have been brought in under his stint?

Andersson
Valimaki
Kylington
Rittich
Mangiapane
Dube

Those are all young solid pieces to the future of this team who are starting to break out and make their marks.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #42
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
No one going to mention all the rookies that Treliving have been brought in under his stint?

Andersson
Valimaki
Kylington
Rittich
Mangiapane
Dube

Those are all young solid pieces to the future of this team who are starting to break out and make their marks.
No dude, our cupboards are empty and need restocking.
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #43
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

He should get GM of the year.
1.Hires the right coach after his 1st coaching hire failed in a ball of .....Flames.
2. Pulled off the trade of the year in acquiring an 80 (give or take) point C/RW and a 22 year old top 4 D man for the teams 3rd best D man and 2nd best RW.
3. UFA signings were a success this year. Ryan, Neal, Czarnik have all had big impacts on this roster in one form or another. (Believe it or not, James Neal has been a MASSIVE leadership addition, despite an off season for production)
4. Didn't meddle too much at the deadline, added a rock solid #7 D man for a song. Almost had a solid hockey trade done too.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #44
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So what?

He may not be the GM right now, but he built the team thats tearing the League a new one.

Yeah, and let’s give the Art Ross to Gretzky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #45
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Icon45

If were saying GM of the year though I dont see why Yzerman wins it. Tampa isnt good because of the moves made this off season and year. Flames on the other hand are in large part having success because of this years moves. The team is playing unbelievable despite the Neal signing. I think without question Treliving should be GM of the year.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #46
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd go:
TB - nobody seen this type of dominance coming. Crazy how good they are without going for just household names. Solid drafting and trading over time.
CGY - again, solid deals and trades, especially this off-season
NYI - came out of nowhere when after losing Tavares they were destined to be basement dwellers. From seemingly mediocre signings they look pretty good on any given night

Notable mention: MTL
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:26 PM   #47
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanter View Post
Yeah, I think the Neal signing is a big strike, and costs him the award.
The signing definitely hasn’t worked out, but Treliving still made some outstanding transactions and he deserves big credit for where the team is currently sitting. He made the coaching hire and transformed the 4th line from one of the worse to one of the best in the league, so I’m all for Treliving getting some serious consideration. He can still salvage something for Neal if and when the time comes. A lateral trade that turns into a positive gain isn’t completely out of the question.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:33 AM   #48
HockeyKhan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm just happy having a GM in the conversation.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:58 AM   #49
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

By definition, Tampa doesn't win, they won't give the award to someone who isn't sitting in the seat with someone else being there, even if they think Y deserves it. I'd say Tre deserves it, or at least to be in close consideration, but I doubt he actually wins just because of the prevalence of eastern media over western. People vote for what they see more, unless there's an overwhelming standout. I think that there'd be no doubt about Yzerman winning if he was still in the seat, but I can't see it going there now. Tre's got a chance, but I'd wager it goes to one of Sweeney, Lamoriello, or Dubas, regardless of whether they deserve it.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 AM   #50
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

It’s gotta be Treliving

Tampa? Like has been said, you could give it to Yzernan if he was still there. He walked in to the organization with Stamkos and Hedman in place, I believe, and subsequent draft picks such as Kucherov, Vasilevsky and Point have paid dividends. Because it’s an individual award, the team had 113 points last year anyhow, and he didn’t make any major changes, you can’t give it to Brisebois.

Dubas? The Leafs had 105 points last season and don’t look to improve on it. What does he deserve it for? Signing a guy who wore Leafs pajamas and breaking the RFA market? Toronto media is a pain in the ass. They can shut up.

Lou? Why, because he failed to re-sign the guy with Leafs pajamas? And is a middle of the pack playoff team. Trotz was a great hire and is doing something like what Trotz did with Nashville. A good first year but not hardware worthy.

Treliving like Yzerman is seeing the fruits of a multi year process. But he didn’t start with a Stamkos and a Hedman. He doesn’t have a middle of the pack team, he has a conference leading team. Great franchise altering trade, great coaching hire, even the Ryan acquisition has surprisingly given them arguably the best 4th line in the league, and they are in the top spot in the conference.

It’s a no brainer to me. Get your hardware, Tre.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #51
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys, I'm the only Sabres fan here and I'll be the first to admit that, aside from a ridiculously flukey 10-game win streak, the Sabres have actually looked and performed worse than their last place finish last year. The only part of the organization who should be nominated for anything is Dahlin, for the Calder, because he's been astounding for an 18 year old D-man on a bad team. Botterill for GM of the year? Come now.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #52
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanter View Post
Yeah, I think the Neal signing is a big strike, and costs him the award.

It’s too early IMO to judge the Neal deal. See how the playoffs and next season go. I don’t think other GMs will be as quick to ding him on that as fans are - it wasn’t a stupid move given his pedigree and the Flames’ needs, it just hasn’t worked out (yet). The media voters may take a dimmer view.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:38 PM   #53
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:
Flames

He’s certainly good. Draft picks and young players contributing. Peters clearly the right coach.

But failed to address goaltending, which will likely be what brings us down in the playoffs. And the James Neal signing appears to be an albatross. Those are pretty significant mistakes, especially since they’ve persisted for a while (revolving door of tenders, and Neal is right on the heals of Brouwer).

If we address goaltending in a meaningful way next season could be amazing for both the Flames and team management.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #54
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

While most players and even coaches can have their performance judged over a year, I don’t know how you do really do that for a GM. So you just look at the GM who made the best moves starting in the offseason up to the trade deadline? If so, the standings aren’t really a measure of that performance.

Which is why I think this is kind of a dumb award. The criteria are rather poorly defined.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #55
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Guys, I'm the only Sabres fan here and I'll be the first to admit that, aside from a ridiculously flukey 10-game win streak, the Sabres have actually looked and performed worse than their last place finish last year. The only part of the organization who should be nominated for anything is Dahlin, for the Calder, because he's been astounding for an 18 year old D-man on a bad team. Botterill for GM of the year? Come now.
Not 'guys', 'guy'
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:35 PM   #56
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Not 'guys', 'guy'
Right -- it was more of an, "addressing the group about a previous comment" guys.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:51 PM   #57
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
It’s gotta be Treliving

Tampa? Like has been said, you could give it to Yzernan if he was still there. He walked in to the organization with Stamkos and Hedman in place, I believe, and subsequent draft picks such as Kucherov, Vasilevsky and Point have paid dividends. Because it’s an individual award, the team had 113 points last year anyhow, and he didn’t make any major changes, you can’t give it to Brisebois.

Dubas? The Leafs had 105 points last season and don’t look to improve on it. What does he deserve it for? Signing a guy who wore Leafs pajamas and breaking the RFA market? Toronto media is a pain in the ass. They can shut up.

Lou? Why, because he failed to re-sign the guy with Leafs pajamas? And is a middle of the pack playoff team. Trotz was a great hire and is doing something like what Trotz did with Nashville. A good first year but not hardware worthy.

Treliving like Yzerman is seeing the fruits of a multi year process. But he didn’t start with a Stamkos and a Hedman. He doesn’t have a middle of the pack team, he has a conference leading team. Great franchise altering trade, great coaching hire, even the Ryan acquisition has surprisingly given them arguably the best 4th line in the league, and they are in the top spot in the conference.

It’s a no brainer to me. Get your hardware, Tre.
Yep. To me there’s two awards I feel strongly should be won by Flames and that’s the Norris and Treliving for GM of the Year. I think cases could be made for Johnny to win the Hart and for Peters to win the Jack Adams but I think there’s stronger cases for other people in those awards.

IMO the Neal signing isn’t a negative. I think most teams would have given him a similar contract. At the time he was one of the biggest names on the market and Tre convinced him to come to Calgary (which let’s face it, this hasn’t historically been a desirable destination). It’s not Treliving’s fault Neal hasn’t lived up to his contract yet.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #58
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The thing I’m most curious about going forward is Treliving’s offseason. With so many important contracts expiring and so little cap space to maneuver, I wonder how it’ll all work out.

Obviously Tkachuk’s cap hit will sky rocket. Rittich’s contract will be important to complete. Hathaway and Mangiapane’s contracts are no longer afterthoughts. How much does former # 4th OA Sam Bennett want? Does Treliving trade Frolik despite how productive he’s been this season? Does Brodie or Neal get moved to alleviate cap space? Does Stone have any trade value?

Treliving has an incredibly difficult job this summer and if he manages to improve the team while steering clear of all the potential landmines, he’d be golden in my books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #59
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Dahlin is amazing.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:06 PM   #60
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Does Treliving win GM of the year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
He’s certainly good. Draft picks and young players contributing. Peters clearly the right coach.

But failed to address goaltending, which will likely be what brings us down in the playoffs. And the James Neal signing appears to be an albatross. Those are pretty significant mistakes, especially since they’ve persisted for a while (revolving door of tenders, and Neal is right on the heals of Brouwer).

If we address goaltending in a meaningful way next season could be amazing for both the Flames and team management.

Didn't goaltending come down to cost and Treliving was not prepared to pay too much? Which current player would they have traded to get better goaltending? It would have to be someone pretty good to get a good goaltender. Off season signings require the player to want to sign here so maybe the good ones were not interested.
Isn't this Neal's first year? I know I said Neal's name with colorful adjectives last year.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote