Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #81
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He can really fire the one timer while he’s moving. He’s scored some nice goals on the right side of the ice.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #82
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Mangiapane is a shifty skill player, so I think it was fair to assume a fourth line role would be a tough go for him to really play his game. Czarnik is an example of a guy who really needs to be on a skill line to be effective. However, Mangiapane has proven that he's developed a much more well-rounded game. Mangiapane is likely destined for a more offensive middle-six role, but for now, this is the best fourth line we've had in ages.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #83
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
I didn’t think he had it when he kept getting knocked over twice a shift while battling for pucks. He’s probably not much stronger now, but certainly is doing a good job at picking his battles and more effective battling
He's never gonna be a natural checking type. But the fact that he's still productive in a role that isn't ideally suited for him shows he has Frolik-esque versatility.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #84
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Wasn’t it Burke years ago who, while discussing Mangiapanes toughness said (paraphrasing): “ Mangiapane is similar to Gaudreau in that both guys will come out of he corner with the puck, but Mangiapane will leave you with a broke nose”.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #85
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Wasn’t it Burke years ago who, while discussing Mangiapanes toughness said (paraphrasing): “ Mangiapane is similar to Gaudreau in that both guys will come out of he corner with the puck, but Mangiapane will leave you with a broke nose”.
And Gaudreau may accidentally break his own
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #86
Rajen
Draft Pick

Default Paul Byron

Not sure it’s been said but reminds me of Byron. Speed and skill. Once Byron was given a chance, he became a mainstay and excelled. Great pickup.
Rajen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rajen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #87
Eric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajen View Post
Not sure it’s been said but reminds me of Byron. Speed and skill. Once Byron was given a chance, he became a mainstay and excelled. Great pickup.
Not as fast, but better hockey IQ and finishing abilities. I can see the similarities though.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #88
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard for teams to set a game plan and focus on certain match ups against the Flames when you have guys like Mangiapane on the forth line. I get the sense Mangiapane is just getting comfortable and could be a key contributor when things get tight during the playoffs.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #89
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Mangiapane doesn't remind me of Byron at all. He's a much better shooter and can really move the puck around. Byron had a ton of wheels and some okay moves but he didn't have a lot of poise. I'm already seeing much more poise in Mangiapane's game.

Czarnik gives me a lot more of a Byron vibe, although without the skating.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #90
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What a revelation Mangiapane has been. I always figured he’d be an impactful player pro hockey player ever since his debut in the Penticton prospects game. I remember watching him and mixing him up with Sam Bennett because of how noticeable and skilled he was.

Now he’s translated that at the NHL level and is showing that he belongs in the league. He’s very unique in that he plays a surprisingly heavy game for a smaller guy, yet still has soft hands, good touch around the net and a terrific release. He could be a fixture on the PP at some point in his career I would suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #91
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

This me like!!!
Old 03-24-2019, 04:36 PM   #92
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Mangiapane doesn't remind me of Byron at all. He's a much better shooter and can really move the puck around. Byron had a ton of wheels and some okay moves but he didn't have a lot of poise. I'm already seeing much more poise in Mangiapane's game.

Czarnik gives me a lot more of a Byron vibe, although without the skating.
I kinda thought Czarnik's skating was the closest to Byron but not the rest of his game.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #93
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny, both those guys remind me of former Flames, but not Byron.

More than Byron, Czarnik reminds me of pre-Back Injury Mason Raymond. Could totally see Czarnik having a 25 / 25 Season on the right line (Jankowski's is not it.)

More than Byron, Mangiapane reminds me of Michael Cammalleri. Small, but stocky forward with a heckuva goal scoring repertoire and a high motor.

Know who does remind me of Byron? Zavgorodny.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #94
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What I love about Mangiapane is that he has bought in to his role on this team. He is out there, making simple plays, chipping pucks in and going hard after it. We knew he had the skill set to be more of an offensive minded player but seems to have totally bought in. And he is being rewarded on the score sheet with his simple, effective play. That whole line has bought into their roles and it’s working for them.
I think that eventually as Mangiapane works his way up the lineup, he will open up offensively and continue to impress us.
He strikes me as a guy who knows exactly what is expected of him, in certain roles
Old 03-24-2019, 09:59 PM   #95
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's certainly plenty of people who have changed their tune about him lately, you're not alone in your original doubts. It wasn't long ago I saw Mangiapane being used as a likely trajectory for Dube (in a negative way). That one was a double flop on their part.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:10 AM   #96
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Apologies to Andrew Mangiapane

I loved how Mangiapane started the first goal. Retrieved the puck on the wall, circled around and found Hathaway in front of the goal with a very impressive pass between the legs of a Canuck.

He’s really adjusted to the speed of the NHL, he’s making really quick decisions out there now. I think if you look at his career you can see that it has taken him around a year to adjust to each new level of play, but once he figures it out he really excels.

Last edited by Beninho; 03-25-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:03 AM   #97
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
hes got a nimenen vibe to me

I don’t see that at all. Hathaway is more like Niemenen. Niemenen was a pest with a bit of offense... but being a pest was his calling card during the playoffs... Mangiapane is not that at all.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #98
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Love what I’m seeing from Eat Bread. I could see his game building to a player similar to Marchessault in Vegas. Speed, skill, a great shot, strong on the puck, tenacious.

stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #99
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yup, I'll admit when I'm wrong. I said he'd be a short-lived nhler. If he keeps growing as he has in the last half of this season I think he can have a long career. His shot and scoring ability is looking really good.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote