Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #2721
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The UCP sure are determined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #2722
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The UCP sure are determined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Maybe, but I don't think a couple leadership issues really resonate with most people. Depends what the findings are.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #2723
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
What the hell do you think a public sector job is? Just people in the ministries?

The only embarrassment I have is how poorly the education system has failed you if you are arguing teachers and nurses are not public sector jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
I don’t even believe the public sector is driving the growth. The new jobs have almost all been health and education
You said it. Not me. You claim the public sector isn't driving growth, while simultaneously claiming all the new jobs are public sector jobs.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #2724
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Maybe, but I don't think a couple leadership issues really resonate with most people. Depends what the findings are.
Seriously? Because I think that an ethical/criminal issue is going to be a big concern. Surely people aren't going to be all upset at the federal Liberals and then turn a blind eye here?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #2725
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's the continued arrogance that might get them into trouble. It was big reason Prentice lost. From the very start, Kenney has just assumed he is going to lead this province, and has bulldozed his way there. It really isn't a good look.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #2726
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I joined the movement to unite the WR/PC back when it was first announced. I never supported Kenney as leader but put a lot of time and effort into Doug Schweitzer as that guy. Hopefully if this stuff is true it triggers a quick leadership vote as I would do so again.

We will see where this goes, but IMO all they had to do was do...nothing. Do nothing and Alberta sees a decimation of the NDP as should happen after their record as government.

Instead now the dummy has given them a massive and legitimate target to work with and exploit.

Im still voting UCP because of the local candidate and my belief she will be an effective legislator, but I do so with trepidation of Jason Kenney being leader. Well I will when Notley actually calls an election and quits campaigning on the tax payer dollar, but money and the reality of where it comes from has never ever been a strong suit of the idealogues.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #2727
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Seriously? Because I think that an ethical/criminal issue is going to be a big concern. Surely people aren't going to be all upset at the federal Liberals and then turn a blind eye here?
Like I said it depends what comes of the investigation and what sort of direct link to Kenny there is. Hasn't it all been a bunch of 'potential things so far? Lots of issues with Callaway obviously but he didn't win.

But at this point I think a potato as head of the UCP probably gets a large amount of seats in this election - pending what Jean comes up with. Rightly or wrongly.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #2728
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
That's me. They've lost my vote to the Alberta Party unless they decide to elect a new leader before the election. I'm neutral on my local UCP candidate so it comes down to the rest of the party now, which is a big no thanks with Kenney
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #2729
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like I said it depends what comes of the investigation and what sort of direct link to Kenny there is. Hasn't it all been a bunch of 'potential things so far? Lots of issues with Callaway obviously but he didn't win.

But at this point I think a potato as head of the UCP probably gets a large amount of seats in this election - pending what Jean comes up with. Rightly or wrongly.
Lol, come on. Of course it's all "potential issues" at the outset of any scandal. I'l just wait for you to post that line of thinking in the federal thread about SNC, right? It's all just potential issues, so no big deal?

The harsh reality is that Kenney is going to get hammered by these allegations. I don't doubt that a lot of people just want the NDP out and will vote against them no matter what. I don't know about that wide swath in the middle though, who while they don't love the NDP aren't going to feel comfortable voting for someone to become premier who is under RCMP investigation.

I couldn't agree more with Transplant though; all they had to do was keep quiet, release a platform that wasn't controversial and promising the moon and they would have easily won this election. Now, I'm not so sure. The NDP will drop the writ pretty quickly and let Kenney get dogged by this investigation. Between that and a lot of people who are uncomfortable with the social side of the UCP/Kenney, it's not a foregone conclusion in my opinion.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #2730
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^ the thing i like about Kenney is he comes into the political scene with a solid backround in politics, years of expierience and can answer a question directly and with confidence. Not something i can say for Trudeau.

At least with Kenney, i know where he stands without pandering to literally every voter in the province. Kenney will do what in his opinion is best for Alberta even if not everyone agrees with every decicsion he makes. That’s what a leader is suppose to do. Justin tries to please everybody and ends up doing nothing for fear of angering people, even if it means breaking campaign promises. Take a stance and do what you think will push our country forward.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #2731
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
You said it. Not me. You claim the public sector isn't driving growth, while simultaneously claiming all the new jobs are public sector jobs.
Maybe it’s your reading comprehension that’s the issue.

The public sector jobs are ALBERTA WIDE.

The growth I was discussing was EDMONTON.

The claim was that Edmonton growth over Calgary was solely due to the increase in public sector jobs. My assertion is that not all of those jobs are Edmonton based and almost all would have been distributed across the province, not just in Edmonton.

Seriously if you are going to call someone else out for being ignorant or having no clue about thing maybe you should step back and look at yourself first.

#### you are an #######.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #2732
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
At least with Kenney, i know where he stands without pandering to literally every voter in the province. Kenney will do what in his opinion is best for Alberta even if not everyone agrees with every decicsion he makes. That’s what a leader is suppose to do.

Yeah, Kenney would never be cagey on a funded and overdue flood mitigation project to protect billions of dollars of real estate that affects significant parts of the population to pander to some party donors...
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #2733
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I joined the movement to unite the WR/PC back when it was first announced. I never supported Kenney as leader but put a lot of time and effort into Doug Schweitzer as that guy. Hopefully if this stuff is true it triggers a quick leadership vote as I would do so again.

We will see where this goes, but IMO all they had to do was do...nothing. Do nothing and Alberta sees a decimation of the NDP as should happen after their record as government.

Instead now the dummy has given them a massive and legitimate target to work with and exploit.

Im still voting UCP because of the local candidate and my belief she will be an effective legislator, but I do so with trepidation of Jason Kenney being leader. Well I will when Notley actually calls an election and quits campaigning on the tax payer dollar, but money and the reality of where it comes from has never ever been a strong suit of the idealogues.
Er...
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #2734
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
^^^ the thing i like about Kenney is he comes into the political scene with a solid backround in politics, years of expierience and can answer a question directly and with confidence. Not something i can say for Trudeau.

At least with Kenney, i know where he stands without pandering to literally every voter in the province. Kenney will do what in his opinion is best for Alberta even if not everyone agrees with every decicsion he makes. That’s what a leader is suppose to do. Justin tries to please everybody and ends up doing nothing for fear of angering people, even if it means breaking campaign promises. Take a stance and do what you think will push our country forward.
Question - would you trade a sense of ethics and moral duty for a leader who will shout on a microphone just because he can?

I don't know about you, but I don't want a leader who's best quality is "knowing where he stands". That's remarkably similar to some of history's worst leaders.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #2735
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should tell all my buddies here that are out of work that they’re missing out. Edmonton is booming. They must have missed that memo.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #2736
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Question - would you trade a sense of ethics and moral duty for a leader who will shout on a microphone just because he can?

I don't know about you, but I don't want a leader who's best quality is "knowing where he stands". That's remarkably similar to some of history's worst leaders.
Edit: nvm. Fear mongering on Kenney just getting old.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #2737
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Edit: nvm. Fear mongering on Kenney just getting old.
You're the one who escalated to Hitler brought to you by the NDP before your ninja edit.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #2738
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Er...
Sounds like something Trudeau says every time he is asked a question!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #2739
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I should tell all my buddies here that are out of work that they’re missing out. Edmonton is booming. They must have missed that memo.
If they're in architecture / engineering / construction, absolutely tell them to get in on that.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #2740
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I can understand if you don't like the NDP but you honestly can't believe what you just wrote right? Kenney has never done anything based on what he thought was best for anyone other than himself. I'm sure when he came out against gay marriage and abortion he was concerned about what was best for everyone.

When Kenney supported weakening the temporary foreign worker program allowing more widespread abuse of the program I'm the sure he was thinking this is the best for everyone. I bet when he wanted to drop the provision that people convicted of human trafficking could not use TFWs he was thinking this was best for everyone.

Seems to me an uneducated career politician is likely the least trustworthy person. Someone that helped the right people out along the way not someone that made the right decisions. They had a lot of choices for a good leader and they blew it.

I agree with you to an extent about what a good leader does. They also take information in and try to make a reasonable decision. That isn't Kenney.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post: