Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #1581
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
In the PCoptimum app?
It may not be global, I think their offers vary and may be targeted.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:28 AM   #1582
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up a switch yesterday as the first console I've had since N64. Felt so clumsy at first, but I can feel old, unused parts of my brain starting to light up again now. So nice.

I got the Smash bundle with the dock all covered in smash characters. I'm not much of a fighting game guy, but I love it. Hard to choose what's next. Really want Mario Kart, Mario Party and Breath of the Wild soon. So worth it

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:47 AM   #1583
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mario Kart 8 is absolutely a must play, that series has come a LONG way since N64.

Breath of the Wild is incredible but could be a bit challenging/intimidating for someone that hasn't played video games in a long time. It's tough and unforgiving and doesn't provide a lot of direction.

Mario Party, I would put a tier below those games. Doesn't really offer much as a single player experience, and Smash Bros. and Mario Kart are much better and more refined games for multiplayer. I think Mario Odyssey and DKC: Tropical Freeze would be better games to pick up ahead of it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #1584
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Along with the fantastic first-party games, there are tons of great indie titles for the Switch. Stardew Valley, Dead Cells, Celeste, Inside and Hollow Knight are all worth playing.

https://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/games...h-nindies-hits

Last edited by DownInFlames; 12-23-2018 at 09:38 AM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:53 AM   #1585
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Along with the fantastic first-party games, there are tons of great indie titles for the Switch. Stardew Valley, Dead Cells, Celeste, Inside and Hollow Knight are all worth playing.

https://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/games...h-nindies-hits
Oh man I still think about Inside sometimes, amazing game. Forgot it was on Switch since I played it on PS4 so long ago.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #1586
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Best bet may be trying to get this bundle at Shoppers Drug Mart over the weekend.

They have the Mario Party Bundle in their flyer, and it's also 20x the points this weekend (special offer via the app) - which is about $110 back in points.
Ugh. Was going to pick this up today. Flyer says price is only valid Saturday.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #1587
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cant wait for tomorrow I bought a switch for my kids on black Friday along with the pokemon game and have been itching to play it ever since secretly I will probably play it more than the kids
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:46 AM   #1588
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Added Mario Party and Zelda yesterday. My wife, who has never been into video games in her life, actually enjoys both Smash and Mario Party. I'm loving it all so far. Nintendo just does such a good job of fun.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #1589
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Added Mario Party and Zelda yesterday. My wife, who has never been into video games in her life, actually enjoys both Smash and Mario Party. I'm loving it all so far. Nintendo just does such a good job of fun.

Zelda is a phenomenal game. It’ll give you hours of enjoyment. Even after completing it, the downloadable content gives it a bit more staying power as well.

Mario Party is great with 4 players. Not sure I’d enjoy it much with 1 or 2, but if you have a few people over it is a lot of fun. Easy for non-gamers and kids to just pick up and play. We played some of that with my son and nieces last night, and it was a hit.

If you haven’t considered Mario Kart yet, that’s another good one. Decent online play, loads of tracks, local multiplayer as well. That game doesn’t get old for me.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:59 AM   #1590
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Zelda is a phenomenal game. It’ll give you hours of enjoyment. Even after completing it, the downloadable content gives it a bit more staying power as well.

Mario Party is great with 4 players. Not sure I’d enjoy it much with 1 or 2, but if you have a few people over it is a lot of fun. Easy for non-gamers and kids to just pick up and play. We played some of that with my son and nieces last night, and it was a hit.

If you haven’t considered Mario Kart yet, that’s another good one. Decent online play, loads of tracks, local multiplayer as well. That game doesn’t get old for me.
Yeah, Zelda is awesome. I played Ocarina of Time a lot years ago, so the sense of continuity into this is crazy. Also, it's just a really beautiful world, particularly the villages so far from what I've seen.

I'll definitely also be getting Mario Kart. I played Mario Kart 64 like crazy back in high school. This summer I saw a webpage tracking all the world record times for each course on that game and when I pulled out my old cartridge I saw that I would have been top 50 in the world back when I was playing it. Kind of made me sad to think that's probably the highest ranking I ever could have had or will have in anything in this world, and I didn't even know until more than a decade later... If only there had been twitch when I was in high school.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #1591
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having a hard time getting into Smash.
Hopefully it will grow on me, but fees like $80 wasted right now. Too much sensory overload and things happening all over the screen for my gaming tastes.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #1592
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Having a hard time getting into Smash.
Hopefully it will grow on me, but fees like $80 wasted right now. Too much sensory overload and things happening all over the screen for my gaming tastes.

I kinda felt the same way. My son and his friends play it and it apparently all makes sense to them, but when I try to emulate them they claim I am just “spamming” the controller buttons.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #1593
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 player Smash is more of a party game about embracing the chaos. 1 v 1 Smash is more normal where you can focus on the actual fighting.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #1594
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Had a look back through the thread, has there been any improvement in third party docks since summer? Or is going with Nintendo dock still the best practice? Teenagers have entrenched themselves and their friends in the rec room, which is great. But they are usually playing the X-box so it would be nice to snag the Switch and take it upstairs for some casual gaming with the wife.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #1595
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Oh man I still think about Inside sometimes, amazing game. Forgot it was on Switch since I played it on PS4 so long ago.
My mind was mush afterwards. And I felt so sad.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:39 AM   #1596
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure if posted, but I noticed they put Grim Fandango - Remastered on the e store.

One of my favorite games growing up, and it's awesome playing now, with a trips down memory lane. It's fun remembering all the puzzles and riddles, that are buried away in my 20 year memory bank somewhere.

I think this is a game that is a bit timeless, albeit the graphics are obviously old. The storyline and voiceovers are still top notch. I'd recommend anybody who likes adventure games or problem solving games to try this. It's only 6 bucks on the e store
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #1597
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I grabbed it and put in about an hour. I haven't played the original, so for the price it seemed a good one to give a try. Need so me more time with it, as I also picked up Axiom Verge for dirt cheap and that got me hooked more than Grim.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #1598
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I grabbed it and put in about an hour. I haven't played the original, so for the price it seemed a good one to give a try. Need so me more time with it, as I also picked up Axiom Verge for dirt cheap and that got me hooked more than Grim.
Yea, it's a bit of a slow bleed from what I remember. I have to defer to a walkthrough from time to time, but it's a very clever game.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #1599
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
4 player Smash is more of a party game about embracing the chaos. 1 v 1 Smash is more normal where you can focus on the actual fighting.
I haven’t figured out how to embrace the chaos yet, apparently. Half the time, I can’t even figure out where I am on the screen.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #1600
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I haven’t figured out how to embrace the chaos yet, apparently. Half the time, I can’t even figure out where I am on the screen.
Have you given yourself a name? It floats above your head while you play which can make it easier to find yourself when there's a lot happening.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote