Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should the Flames pick at 6th overall?
Chychrun 78 16.49%
Juolevi 30 6.34%
Sergachev 26 5.50%
Nylander 242 51.16%
Jost 21 4.44%
Brown 30 6.34%
Keller 6 1.27%
Bean 4 0.85%
McLeod 9 1.90%
Jones 1 0.21%
McAvoy 0 0%
Fabbro 2 0.42%
Gauthier 7 1.48%
Robtsov 0 0%
Other (specify) 17 3.59%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #201
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
At #6, you simply don't pass up a highly skilled game changer in favour of a big for the sake of being big player. In fact, you never do that. The last thing I want right now is for this organization to go back to the Greg Nemisz/Kris Chucko/Eric Nystrom days.
This idea that some people have that big players aren't talented is as stupid as the notion that European players aren't gritty.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #202
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The size issue isn't about height, it's about playing a harder game.

Monahan, Pribyl, Colborne and Backlund, regardless of their height, are not 'big' players. And it remains to be seen where Jankowski falls.

Bennett and Poirier play bigger (even though they're not). And Shinkaruk has shown more feistiness so far than I would have expected. Obviously we have Ferland, Bouma and Hathaway, though only Ferland has the potential for top 6, and that's far from certain.

There is no question that the Flames need more size and sandpaper in their top 6 / top 9.

The Flames may have the smallest/softest top 9 in the league right now. Nylander isn't what they need.
At #6 I think its less about taking who the flames 'need'. They don't have that luxury at 6 because realistically after we pick, only THEN is it a sh*tstorm, as far as the forwards go, about who prefers the size, who prefers the skill and what player will be picked accordingly to those teams (below us) needs. If Nylander is available, you pick him and address the size issue in another fashion, whether its a bigger guy with the dallas pick, or a bigger guy on the market.
DomeFoam is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DomeFoam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #203
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I will place money on Logan Brown being taken before Nylander if Dubois and Tkachuk are gone at our pick. Calgary will be all over him.
Just imo, but I think the Flames would take one of the D men before Brown.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #204
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Vladimir Tkachev
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #205
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Kyle Woodlief, head scout with Redline Report (one of my favs) on EDM radio chatting about the draft

http://omnyapp.com/shows/oilers-now-...f-red-line-rep
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #206
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think it's pretty presumptuous to assume BOTH Tkachuk and Dubois are gone at 6th, no? You have to think one or both of Vancouver and Edmonton will grab a d-man.

Anyway, I voted Nylander but it was a coin toss between him and Chychrun. I know the Flames have a great defence core but you also have to balance positional needs with BPA and he would arguably be BPA if available at 6th.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #207
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's quite realistic that one of Dubois or Tkachuk fall to 6.

My guess is:

1. TOR - Matthews
2. WPG - Laine
3. CBJ - Puljujarvi
4. EDM - Dubois
5. VAN - Juolevi
6. CGY - Tkachuk
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #208
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I think it's quite realistic that one of Dubois or Tkachuk fall to 6.

My guess is:

1. TOR - Matthews
2. WPG - Laine
3. CBJ - Puljujarvi
4. EDM - Dubois
5. VAN - Juolevi
6. CGY - Tkachuk
Agreed. However there is lots of speculation that VAN has Dubois ahead of the defensemen. If that is true then the one way that one of Dubois/Tkachuk wouldn't fall to us is if EDM trades for a dman, takes Tkachuk and then VAN takes Dubois.

I think if EDM takes Dubois then we probably end up with Tkachuk.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:43 PM   #209
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
I think it's pretty presumptuous to assume BOTH Tkachuk and Dubois are gone at 6th, no? You have to think one or both of Vancouver and Edmonton will grab a d-man.

Anyway, I voted Nylander but it was a coin toss between him and Chychrun. I know the Flames have a great defence core but you also have to balance positional needs with BPA and he would arguably be BPA if available at 6th.
Tkachuk will be the faller of the draft, IMO. People like size and name status, but he rode the coat tails of Marner and Dvorak this year. I'm not that impressed with his skill set in comparison to Nylander.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #210
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to HF Canucks, Benning on the local radio said they would be picking a forward at 5 and apparently he's typically this candid although I'm not exactly sure why you would let that cat out of the bag. Apparently Vancouver media and fans were really worried they would reach for one of the defenseman and he put a blanket on that fire. I hope the Flames take the same route and go BPA (Nylander).
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #211
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I will place money on Logan Brown being taken before Nylander if Dubois and Tkachuk are gone at our pick. Calgary will be all over him.
I will take that bet.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #212
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Because Sam Bennett has always played face-first, like a pit bull. Like Gallagher, his size ins't an issue because he falls into the 'it's not the size of the dog in the fight...' category.

Also, Bennett's size was never a concern because he was always projected to be about 6'1 190-200ish as an NHLer.

I don't think trying to compare Nylander to Bennett is a strategy that will get you far.
We are not comparing playing styles. That has zero to do with a players size. Bennett and Nylander are absolutely comparable size wise, playing style be damned. I am pointing out how ridiculous the argument is not to take Nylander because he is undersized, it just isn't true.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #213
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Sam Bennett is slightly taller and plays a big man's game. He's gritty, determined, dirty at times. Bennett plays a very powerful style and will be bowling people over when he adds a bit more strength. Nylander plays a finesse style.
Which has nothing to do with his size. Despite different playing styles they are roughly the same size. People talk about Nylander like he is 5'0 tall. That is undersized.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #214
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You're picking the kid that is going to be the best NHL player in five years, not right now. You're also picking a player you hope will be able to play the type of game your team needs to compete. In the west that means a heavy, grinding, physical game. I don't see Gaudreau surviving in the west. If the Flames draft him I will be surprised. There may not be guys as talented as Gaudreau available, but there are guys that are better prospects available, especially based on the Flames needs.
So is your post still true with some editing then if we apply it to our star offensive player?
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #215
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
At #6, you simply don't pass up a highly skilled game changer in favour of a big for the sake of being big player. In fact, you never do that. The last thing I want right now is for this organization to go back to the Greg Nemisz/Kris Chucko/Eric Nystrom days.
From what I've seen of Nylander, he doesn't compete hard enough to be a game changer in my books.

Plus as others have said, the big guys in discussion all have plenty of skill.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #216
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So is your post still true with some editing then if we apply it to our star offensive player?
Actually, your rebuttal helps the opposing argument. Everything needs to be taken in context.

Is there room in the west for Nylander? Of course.

Is there room on the smallest team in the west for Nylander? Maybe not - it certainly becomes more of an issue.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #217
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post

link

Quote:
If nothing changes between now and June 24th, the Vancouver Canucks will use their fifth overall selection in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft to pick one of two forwards: Cape Breton’s Pierre Luc Dubois or Matthew Tkachuk of the London Knights. Canucks general manager Jim Benning all but confirmed that it’s a two horse race on a Monday morning appearance on TSN 1040.

link

Quote:
In an interview with the Edmonton Journal on Sunday, Chiarelli said there’s a “real legitimate” chance the team will explore trading the pick away on draft day to potentially add a top-four defenceman to Edmonton’s extremely thin back-end.

“There’s a real legitimate chance to look to move this pick, to improve our team — to get bigger or to get a D and get something else. We’re going to look at a lot of different things,” Chiarelli said.

Pretty much says that Charelli knows that Tkachuk/Dubois is a better asset than any D-man he can draft at #4 ...

If they are stuck with it they want to be getting bigger.... Dubois 6-3 202 as a 17 year old... will likely be 6-3 220 in the NHL.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #218
pacde
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Always surprises that as hockey knowledgeable people Canadians are, some still think that a successful team can be built with the characteristics of only a few successful players....

I think its pretty self apparent that having a team with a certain amount of playing size increases the chances of success (particularly in the playoffs) and so if you have one or more players (that contribute something else substantial but not much to playing size), it may be a really great thing to have a few other players that offset the deficiency. Instead I understand that there is an argument since one player can play with that, it obviously doesnt hurt to have more players that are similar because, hey, look how great he is doing. I just dont believe you can build a winning team thinking that way although I'm sure outliers exist
pacde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pacde For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #219
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man, none of these names excite me at all. I feel that they're all great players in their own right, but just very ho-hum compared to the top 5.

I would try to trade down and take either a defencemen, or someone like Jost/Brown. I would also prefer to trade up with Edmonton and offer the Dallas 1st.

While #4 has a lot more value than #6 in this draft, I really don't see any other team valuing the #4 more than a proven top pairing defencemen, which is what it seems like Edmonton wants for the pick at the moment.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #220
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
According to HF Canucks, Benning on the local radio said they would be picking a forward at 5 and apparently he's typically this candid although I'm not exactly sure why you would let that cat out of the bag. Apparently Vancouver media and fans were really worried they would reach for one of the defenseman and he put a blanket on that fire. I hope the Flames take the same route and go BPA (Nylander).
Well why don't you listen to the interview yourself and draw your own conclusions?

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-10...inted-1.482137

I'm not sure the conclusion some fans draw is correct.