Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2019, 10:15 PM   #681
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

What kind of bike are you looking for? I've never seen the auction bikes before so I wouldn't have any reference for their quality/price.

This is the time of year to buy a bike. Every bike shop is having a sale this weekend or the next couple on last year's models.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:13 AM   #682
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol - parking downtown increases your risk of theft by quite a bit. to me the only way you could mitigate this risk somewhat is to have the ability to be able to park your bike in some kind of secure cage and then lock it securely with a quality lock. ensure the wheels are locked as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
......Also where can I park my bike downtown so it won't get stolen during the day?
Old 03-26-2019, 06:30 AM   #683
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It depends where you need to leave it. The city parkade on 9th and 5th has secure bike parking, I think it's $50 a year. There may be others, check the city site. My building has it's own bike parking area, so check with yours? I wouldn't be buying a brand new bike and leaving it on some random bike rack downtown though. OK for old beaters, but you still want to lock them.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:55 AM   #684
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of people park bikes outside during the day on racks outside of all the office buildings. Make sure yours isn’t the least secured or the nicest. I haven’t had any problems with a 5 year old sub 1k bike. There are quite a few people parking $1500 new bikes on the racks. No idea how big of an issue theft is. I certainly wouldn’t leave overnight. I also wouldn’t put anything with Carbon pieces outside as people just jam bikes in to lock them up.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:25 PM   #685
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

My office moving to Quarry Park has my ride going from an easy 5.5km to a decent 15-16 km ride. I’ve probably ramped up too fast, but 150km a week is freaking hard man.. how do some of you guys do 100km a day?
Old 03-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #686
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
My office moving to Quarry Park has my ride going from an easy 5.5km to a decent 15-16 km ride. I’ve probably ramped up too fast, but 150km a week is freaking hard man.. how do some of you guys do 100km a day?
After doing what you're doing for awhile, it won't be that difficult. Just keep adding up your miles.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:39 AM   #687
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I do 100km in a day, I'm beat for a bit. But the day after day riding can wear you down. No shame in taking a day off if you need to recover every so often. 15km twice a day is a good distance.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #688
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
My condolences! The easiest route here is to brush up your résumé.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #689
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think it depends a lot depends on the ride, a 100k in light winds where the terrain has no punishing climbs goes by pretty quick. If you have to deal with weather then it becomes work. i find 20k on my mtn bike to be way more draining that 60 k on my commuter - mostly because of terrain.

start by riding into work 2x per week, then go three. Once you get there getting to 5 is not hard.

What does get hard though is finding motivation to ride for fun on weekends when you have logged some good saddle time during the week.

Quote:
Old 03-27-2019, 01:54 PM   #690
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Another thing I do with my longer commute is to bike into work one day, bus home. Then bus into work the next day and ride back. A few times getting used to the longer ride and you will be fine. If an out of shape guy like me can do 28km commutes both ways, you will have no trouble.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #691
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone have disc brake vibration issues and been able to diagnose and fix?

On both my commuter and hardtail, the rear brake vibrates and makes noises when used. If I break really hard on my commuter, I can actually feel it up to the handlebars.

I don't think it's affecting stopping power. Its just annoying. Sounds like metal on metal squealing then some vibrations.

When I brought the bikes in for tune-ups, I mentioned the issue specifically but when I get the bikes back, the issue remains and I'm told the discs and pads are fine.

Anyone else experience this?
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #692
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ never had the issue. But i’d Start trying some of the following:
. Clean rotors and pads with rubbing alcohol - could go with a brake parts cleaner
. Swap the front and rear rotors, see if issue moves to front
. Ensure the bolts, screws retaining the the rotors are torqued to spec, ensure calipers are tightened and torqued
. Clean pass and rotor with emery cloth, clean again with alcohol
.top up brake fluid, burp brakes, bled brakes
. Bake the brake pads in the oven, or with torch
. New pads then new rotors

I’d start with the easiest things first
Old 04-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #693
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had one more thought - perhaps the pads are not contacting the rotor equally. You could try the following;
. Loosen up the calipers bolts, firmly grab the brake, then snug up the caliber bolts evenly, then torque to spec - 5 nm or so, I think
. If the above does not work, then pull the pads right out, gently push the pistons back in the caliber with a wide bladed screw driver, put the pads back in, the follow,step 1 again
Old 04-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #694
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks, I haven't tried some of those, especially the cleaning.
I'll have to spend some time to diagnose and troubleshoot.

I did some more searching and I actually think it might be a resonance issue.
The sound I hear is similar to these videos.

dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #695
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posted this in another thread but it may be more appropriate here... I was trying to find a small bike shed like this so I don't have to keep my bikes in the garage in the summer. Unfortunately this one is $2000 on wayfair and I haven't been able to find anything similar. If anyone has any idea where I could find something like this for a reasonable price let me know.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #696
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cheaper...

https://www.amazon.ca/Bosmere-Trimet.../dp/B00J4DBG5M
Old 04-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #697
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or if you have something to lock your bike to...

https://www.amazon.ca/ALEKO%C2%AE-SS...garden&sr=1-11
Old 04-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #698
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm recovering from a pretty bad back injury from about a year ago, and cycling has been my saving grace. So happy to get into it. Maybe only 10 km a day to and from work, but I am excited to keep on increasing the kilometres.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #699
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I'm recovering from a pretty bad back injury from about a year ago, and cycling has been my saving grace. So happy to get into it. Maybe only 10 km a day to and from work, but I am excited to keep on increasing the kilometres.
Ditto. Tore my ACL about a year ago and cycling was such a huge part of my rehabilitation leading up to surgery and then afterward. Recovering from surgery has been much harder than the initial injury, but I'm back to commuting 10k each way and my knee and supporting muscles feel better by the week. I hit 1000 km last summer, and hope to surpass that this year.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2019, 02:35 PM   #700
Glassplat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I am a former runner (80km/week Ave) with knees that creak like rusty doors. I started Cycle commuting 7 years ago...18km one way to downtown. In May of 2017 I had a complete hip replacement because of Arthritis. I’ve been retired since 2013 and just yesterday I completed a 134km ride (3000ft of climbing) from Riverside to SAN Clemente, California.
I would give anything to be able to run again...for me there was/is nothing like it.
That said cycling now has become a “close” second.....but....can’t see it ever being 1st! Take it from me it’s so much easier on the joints and the toll it takes on the body. I highly recommend cycling for anyone who wants to improve/maintain their fitness as well as those who are convalescing from injury.
Safe pedalling to all and GFG! E=NG
Glassplat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glassplat For This Useful Post: