Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-22-2019, 02:09 PM   #741
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
plugged directly into router, and 5g. All of my devices (macbook, appletvs, ipad) are connected to 5G except my sonos speakers. Those are all at 2.4. I'm at 100Mbps today.
That's crazy. Definitely get onto Shaw about that!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
gaffobohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #742
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
plugged directly into router, and 5g. All of my devices (macbook, appletvs, ipad) are connected to 5G except my sonos speakers. Those are all at 2.4. I'm at 100Mbps today.
Sonos only work on 2.4Ghz, and only over channels 1, 6, and 11. I had one hell of a time trying to get the wife's Sonos to work with her Wi-Fi when we first started dating, and it was because stupid Telus set her Wi-Fi router to broadcast over 2.4Ghz channel 7.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #743
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep running into a situation with Shaw and wondering if anyone else has had this happen.....

My account with Shaw is set up to be charged automatically to my credit card on the due date. 2-3 times a year I'll get a letter from Shaw advising my last payment was declined. I call my CC provider and they advise they don't even see an attempt from Shaw to collect it. This same CC is used also attached to Enmax and Koodo for automatic payments. Never had an issue with either of them, just Shaw. It's not a limit issue, I'm miles away from maxing it out and it's paid off in full each month.

I realize the likely solution is to attached a different credit card but I put this on my WestJet card and that's a lot of points to lose out on every year.

Anyone else hear of anything similar to this?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #744
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still having issues - finally had enough & making the switch to Telus. Got Internet 150 for $60/month for 2 years, plus PikTV for free (for whatever that's worth).
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #745
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I'm still having issues - finally had enough & making the switch to Telus. Got Internet 150 for $60/month for 2 years, plus PikTV for free (for whatever that's worth).

What part of town are you in again? Mine finally got resolved last week, at least its seemed stable that entire time. I got a refund of $100 for a month and half of service. I was one trip to a telus store away from doing the same thing. Thats frustrating that its not resolved for you yet. Let us know if the new service works as it should!
Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #746
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
What do you think of Pik TV?

My Shaw contracts is just about up and I want to ditch cable. My wife like a few channels so the pik tv for free with an apple box seems like a decent option if it works well
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:04 PM   #747
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't quite find exact information on Shaw's website so I'll ask people here who may have the experience with the TV packages. I'm looking at changing from my grandfathered Premium TV package to Shaw's Large TV package. Will I lose TSN2,3,4,5 and SportsNet and timeshifting channels with Large TV? Trying to determine if its worth saving $7/month or if I can try to do some sort of configuration with Medium TV to get what I want for some semblance of monthly savings.

I have noticed that even when I swtich to TekkSavvy for Internet, I won't lose any bundled savings with Shaw because they seem to have disappeared on my current grandfathered plan.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #748
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't you get to pick which packs you get with the tv packages?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #749
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really. There is 4 levels. If you want to add on certain channels you have to pay more for bundles that have those channels. The lowest level is the one where you do the most customizing.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:16 PM   #750
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah gotcha they’ve changed it.

Did you look at this?
https://www.shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Ec...comparison.pdf
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #751
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give their chat or forum a try. I did ask about the sports stuff on the small tv package, and she said it included all the Sportsnets and TSN 1-5, which I found suspicious. I'd like confirmation on that one...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #752
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Unless the business model has completely changed for Shaw, small medium or large packs provides you with the ability to select from a number of bundle channels. The TSN and Sportsnet channels would account for two bundles. Timeshift is another bundle etc. We turfed about 4 or 5 bundles in total about half a year ago and do not miss any of them. Saves at least 20 or 30 bucks a month.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #753
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I have Limited TV and a TSN+Sportsnet bundle on my TV package and it costs $45 a month total. I see that Small TV is $60 a month so if you can do that kind of setup still and you're only interested in watching sports, it's a good way to go.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #754
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has anyone noticed that Shaw recently changed a bunch of channels from SD to HD? NFL Network, E!, Peachtree were all previously in SD and recently in the last few weeks they are now in HD. It's great that they are now HD, just surprised this didn't happen years ago!

InSutterWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:47 AM   #755
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSutterWeTrust View Post
Has anyone noticed that Shaw recently changed a bunch of channels from SD to HD? NFL Network, E!, Peachtree were all previously in SD and recently in the last few weeks they are now in HD. It's great that they are now HD, just surprised this didn't happen years ago!
those channels are now IPTV that's why
Old 05-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #756
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got an advertisement for Shaw's new Blue Curve wifi system.

https://www.shaw.ca/bluecurve/bluecurve-home/

Anyone have this or considering it? Thoughts?
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #757
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
I got an advertisement for Shaw's new Blue Curve wifi system.

https://www.shaw.ca/bluecurve/bluecurve-home/

Anyone have this or considering it? Thoughts?
I got the pods last week, super easy to install and setup through the app. I have my gateway in the basement of a 2 storey house and I get full bars throughout the house now. I already had the gateway and didn't realize Blucurve existed so I just paid the $10/month to ent 3 pods.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #758
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

installed and works better then my dlink wall outlet one. The app is awesome for limiting my kids
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #759
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a promo for Blue Curve recently too. I was thinking of hopping on it just because it's cheaper than what I'm paying and I presume it won't disrupt anything I'm doing for my current set up.

Is the gateway for Blue Curve the XB6? Or is it something else?

On a random note, I've saw Shaw workers replacing cables along power lines by my place a month ago. Has anyone else noticed this as well? Soon after they replaced a cable by my place, the Internet was much more consistent. I still see them every few days in different areas looking like they're replacing cables from power poles and whatnot.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #760
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I got a promo for Blue Curve recently too. I was thinking of hopping on it just because it's cheaper than what I'm paying and I presume it won't disrupt anything I'm doing for my current set up.

Is the gateway for Blue Curve the XB6? Or is it something else?

On a random note, I've saw Shaw workers replacing cables along power lines by my place a month ago. Has anyone else noticed this as well? Soon after they replaced a cable by my place, the Internet was much more consistent. I still see them every few days in different areas looking like they're replacing cables from power poles and whatnot.
Its the XB6, Blue Curve is just the software to manage that router/modem that allows additional child nodes/extenders to be used as well as a bunch of user access features.