Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #21
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Appeal on Harnett's suspension was denied, suspended for 5 games for the match penalty hit on Noble. A lot of lacrosse folks don't consider this to be a boarding call, it was shoulder to shoulder and the player was not in a defenseless position. The ref said the head impacted the dasher but the video doesn't really show this to me. The most galling part of this is that there was never any supplementary discipline for the hit on Leung last season that continues to have him out of the lineup with concussion problems. Buque leveled him in a completely defenseless and unaware position.
Must have borrowed the NHL's wheel of justice.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #22
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That kinda stunk. Better fourth quarter but the first half didn't have a ton of life from the Roughnecks. Rose put on a great game in the Rock net and Frankie let in a few softies. The 'Necks just never seemed to get fired up even when the game was still tight in the first quarter. Dickson had a good game, I thought Bell played well as did Mike Carnegie. McRae had his strongest game of the season. And Del Bianco remains exciting to watch, not sure if he is ready yet for a start. Kid moves so well and is one of the best goalies at handling the ball outside the net.

Dobbie and Shattler seemed shut down and frustrated all game.

I will never understand Malawsky's strategy of leaving the goalie out on close game face offs near the end of the game. Does it ever work?
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #23
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Nothing from the left side today - and really Dickson was the only one going at all. Digby just had no touch - maybe one good look the entire game, and a ton of dropped passes.
Probably one of the flattest games I've seen them play in over a decade covering them. Not sure if it was the matinee or Rose just frustrating them but there was no offensive chemistry. Dickson's goals were entirely him.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #24
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

that toronto team played some solid d with good goaltending today. their transition game was very good and the roughnecks didnt adapt. i miss Snider, who would get the ball and drive the net. roughnecks are too content to set up every time.. not sure if it is coaching but our transition game isnt that great
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #25
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
that toronto team played some solid d with good goaltending today. their transition game was very good and the roughnecks didnt adapt. i miss Snider, who would get the ball and drive the net. roughnecks are too content to set up every time.. not sure if it is coaching but our transition game isnt that great
Having Karsen Leung back would help.
But really transition rarely wins you games you need your 5 man offensive unit to be able to consistently create chances.
One of the problems with going for too many transition chances is that it keeps the defense on the floor. Getting the 5 man unit out there gives the D a breather which is important.
Take the clear chances when they are presented but otherwise let the offense do the work.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #26
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Having Karsen Leung back would help.
But really transition rarely wins you games you need your 5 man offensive unit to be able to consistently create chances.
One of the problems with going for too many transition chances is that it keeps the defense on the floor. Getting the 5 man unit out there gives the D a breather which is important.
Take the clear chances when they are presented but otherwise let the offense do the work.
i agree, the set up play is the play most of the time but i would like to see a better transition. Leung has been out for some time, is he even going to come back or is he done. always liked his game
Old 02-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #27
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Another very ugly slow start. Bring on the domers
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #28
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team has under performed with Malawsky at the helm for way too long. Time for a change.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #29
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
The team has under performed with Malawsky at the helm for way too long. Time for a change.
Agreed, team needs a kick start, they are not a good team right now. as i said last week, there transition game is awful and other teams run the transition at them and they get exposed. time for a change.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:26 AM   #30
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Making matters worse is there could be some suspensions resulting from the silliness at the end
Old 02-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #31
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Nice to see some heart and movement out of Shatler after the game ended. The ball movement on that offensive side of the floor was putrid all night
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #32
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nice to see the Roughnecks changing it up and taking the foot off the gas in the second half after a strong first half. Just can't seem to put a full game together. Liked seeing Del Bianco in net the whole game, holding the Rush to 12 is not too shabby for a rookie. Berg had a strong game, and the Dobbie goal was filthy.
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2017, 10:03 PM   #33
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A putrid Friday night in Colorado. Not much good about this game, bad at both ends of the floor. Bad coverage on defense, still letting too many breakaways happen, goaltending was weak. And on offence, too many turnovers and low percentage shots. We had a ton of offensive possession but just couldn't get any high quality shots off of it.

Admittedly I only had one eye on the game as I was watching the Flames for the most part. But the compete level seemed really low tonight, will be telling to see how hard they come out at home on Saturday.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #34
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

This team is so bad right now. And tonight they get the best team in the league on the tail end of a back-to-back.

Which means they will probably win, just to be perverse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 11:08 PM   #35
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
This team is so bad right now. And tonight they get the best team in the league on the tail end of a back-to-back.

Which means they will probably win, just to be perverse.

And there we go...
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #36
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Better game last night, very strong in the first half when they picked apart Poulin a bit. Forwards had a bunch more hustle, lots of good drives to the house. Frankie was solid in net. I haven't checked the stats, but we seem to have forced more loose balls and turnovers on defense.

Second half I think the back to back started to catch up to them. Lost a bit of a gear, but held on for the win. Best game of the year for Dobbie (obviously) but Shattler also showed a bunch more speed last night.

Who knows which team will show up next? Couple of road weeks coming up.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #37
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
And there we go...
Lol, naturally.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #38
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

nice game against Georgia, why does Malawsky have a job? at least in past years when their record wasnt good, they were at least competitive. now when they lose, it is a blowout. Perhaps Board needs to go as well. either the players arent good enough or the coaching is poor. not 100% sure which
Old 04-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #39
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

The season started with an exhibition game against the Rush...and ends with one as well, as the Rush finish first and the Roughnecks finish last and out of the playoffs.

My only question is will there be the same coach and GM in charge on Saturday, and if so, will those same guys be in charge come the fall.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #40
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What was with the crazy attendance last night? Was there some kind of promotion?

Tags
lacrosse , nll , roughnecks