Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Suede in the snow

So I found some dope ####kicking boots, in a beautiful light suede. Opinions vary from snow will destroy them to protect them appropriately and they'll be fine.
I walk sidewalks, dirt pathways and snow very frequently (dog loves the winter).
Any of you well dressed folk have real experience in this climate? I love the boots, but not if they really just aren't practical, and I've never had suede footwear to say for sure.

...and I'm aware how meaningless life must be for this to be a concern
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

First thing ff my thoughts and prayers are with you as you seek to resolve this question.

Are we talking dress boots or what here? To me suede boots and walking the dog go together like rollerblades and ice
Old 10-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are they blue?

Contact La Canadienne. They make all kinds of suede winter boots and sell stuff that protects them. They'll know for sure. But only if they are blue.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 10-10-2017 at 08:35 PM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obligatory:

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
First thing ff my thoughts and prayers are with you as you seek to resolve this question.

Are we talking dress boots or what here? To me suede boots and walking the dog go together like rollerblades and ice
Just your standard Timberland in a pleasant suede. Great for walking the dog, but look good while doing it.
Except, you know, the suede
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #6
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Obligatory: Youtube
I thought for sure this would be quoted first:

RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 11:09 PM   #7
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

First off, I don't think the snow is the concern. A bit of water won't really hurt the suede unless you're really dunking those shoes into large puddles. The biggest issue is the salt on the paths you walk. That stuff can really accumulate and do a number on suede and leather.

That being said, plenty of females (my wife included) wander around in Uggs. That stuff is pretty much suede, no? My wife also wanders around in leather boots in winter that isn't really water resistant. Salt accumulates on the leather/suede, especially on the tip by the toes.

A combination of vinegar on a cloth and/old toothbrush and shoe repair wipes (boot rescue wipe or something @ $7 for 10 wipes or something IIRC) every month or two as needed work fine to keep them looking decent (depends on how much snow falls).

It's doable if you're willing to clean it around once a month as needed. You don't want to rub too hard. Once you've done it once, it makes more sense. You want to dampen the shoe and wipe away dirt and salt. Not scrub it.

Obviously they won't look brand new after cleaning them, but they won't look dirty either. I'm not sure what level you want to keep your shoes though, but for sure if you're wandering outdoors, they'll show signs of being worn outdoors no matter how you clean them. Consider it a patina?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Just your standard Timberland in a pleasant suede. Great for walking the dog, but look good while doing it.
Except, you know, the suede
I have a pair of timberlands, but they are not suede - but they sure are comfortable.

to be honest, when my timberlands get dirty, I just chuck them in the washer, let them dry and treat them again.

mine are made of this material - whatever it si: