Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #261
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
How was that remotely proven?
How was it not proven? Macgregor looked like a joke out there. Floyd even admitted that he was a shell of himself with his age and long layoff. Any other fighter who isn't scared as crap would have taken Connor out in 2 rounds. max.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:06 PM   #262
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No respectable boxing analyst thinks Conor looked like a joke out there. It is widely accepted that he exceeded all expectations by a decent hurdle rate. I don't know who was expecting him to do better than that... 111 punches on Floyd at any age is a good showing for an MMA fighter.

Hands down the happiest loser interview of all time after the fight and for good reason.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:15 PM   #263
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No respectable boxing analyst thinks Conor looked like a joke out there. It is widely accepted that he exceeded all expectations by a decent hurdle rate. I don't know who was expecting him to do better than that... 111 punches on Floyd at any age is a good showing for an MMA fighter.

Hands down the happiest loser interview of all time after the fight and for good reason.
111 landed punches. hahaha. 100 patty cake ones and maybe 11 clean legit punches (according to the best boxing expert Max Kellerman)

and "111" punches on Floyd was because he knew Mcgregor was a joke and walked forward. go and watch Floyds first 49 fights and NEVER ONCE did he EVER walk forward!
There is a reason why he is regarded as the most boring fighter in history. TMBE!
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #264
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You couldnt pay me to watch 49 Floyd fights

But Kellerman had nothing but praise for what Conor was able to do and admitted he was very surprised at how good he looked. So I think that kind of proves my point that anyone expecting more from McGregor is delusional and he did very well for himself throughout this
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:26 PM   #265
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You couldnt pay me to watch 49 Floyd fights

But Kellerman had nothing but praise for what Conor was able to do and admitted he was very surprised at how good he looked. So I think that kind of proves my point that anyone expecting more from McGregor is delusional and he did very well for himself throughout this
Actually he was the one who said that the worst boxer could beat the #1 mma in a boxing match so....

and if you listen to Kellerman earlier in the month, he thought Mcgregor wouldn't land a single punch on Floyd! hahaha so he landed 11 and exceeded...
Old 09-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #266
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
All MMA got out of this weekend is that the lowest ranked boxer can easily beat a #1 ranked MMA guy in a boxing match.
When watching the undercards, the Showtime boxing announcers both agreed that they'd still bet on Floyd if he were to fight the current top ranked welterweight.
So this isn't anywhere near a low ranked boxer, Mayweather is (according to boxing people) still good enough to rank amongst the top of his weight class if he were an active fighter.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #267
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised this wasn't bumped for the fight last night considering it was a pretty controversial decision. Despite the crap decision, it was a really good fight, but I cannot fathom how Canelo won 6 rounds, let alone the 10 he got on that all-time offensive 118-110 card. Must have been pretty demoralizing for Canelo to catch GGG flush with several good shots and GGG just keeps coming forward like he was barely touched. Rematch (since you know there's one coming) will probably be Cinco de Mayo.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:56 PM   #268
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I felt he won the last three, and I came in to the fight late, but from what I gather from the announcers he had won the first three. It's a pretty bad card from that one judge though. I'm glad we'll see a rematch because it was a pretty good fight.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #269
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrific fight with an absolute travesty of a score from Byrd and yet NSAC won't do anything about it as usual. Boxing just can't get out of it's own way. Ftr, I had it 115-113 GGG.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #270
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I felt he won the last three, and I came in to the fight late, but from what I gather from the announcers he had won the first three. It's a pretty bad card from that one judge though. I'm glad we'll see a rematch because it was a pretty good fight.
Canelo doens't want the rematch and i can't blame him. He unloaded everything he had and triple G just walked through it.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #271
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still need to rewatch the fight broadcast since (humble brag) I was there to see it live. Watching it live I had GGG winning 116-112, I gave Canelo 1, 2, 10 and 11. I could see 3 and 12 being close, but GGG was working the jab better and was pushing Canelo around even if Canelo was fighting back. I also was pretty amazed all night by GGG's movement and footwork, he basically made Canelo go where he wanted to all night, and Canelo was basically forced into being a pure counter punches are could rarely take the fight to GGG.

A rematch on paper will be very interesting, GGG knows Canelo can't hurt him and even though Canelo took some good shots himself, he didn't take any clean ones to the chin, unlike GGG who took a few and just sort of shrugged them off. Still think GGG finishes him if he catches him in the chin flush. So does GGG go all out for the knockout knowing leaving it to the cards isn't worth the risk? Does Canelo plan to be even more defensive knowing he can probably win the cards with a counter punching effort?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #272
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also watched this. First 'real' boxing main event I watched in some time, and I thought the fight was fantastic. I really enjoyed it anyway. The closest you could have scored this fight was 7 rounds to 5, for GGG - in my opinion.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #273
mivdo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I thought Canelo did really well the first 3 rounds with his head movement making GGG miss and coming back with counters. Once he started slowing down GGG started taking over finding his range.

I have no problem with the decision but as mentioned, the Byrd card was horrendous. Boxing judging really is hit or miss and this kind of crap has should not happen in these high profile fights.

For boxing fans. Another great fight at the end of the year. Lomachenko vs. Rigondeaux december 9. Rigo is jumping up a couple weight classes but this should still be a great technical fight.
mivdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #274
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fight was an example of why I prefer boxing to MMA. The result was an example of why I prefer MMA to boxing. I get that there are bad decisions in MMA as well but it seems like they're few and far between and don't affect the high-profile fights as much.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #275
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't Byrd one of the old Don King judges? Back in the day when I watched every major card, you could always count on Byrd to score it just the way the Don needed it done...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #276
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

NSAC has pulled Byrd from UFC 216
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote