Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2017, 07:17 AM   #241
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Whoosh. He was mocking Driveway's usual zealous nonsense.
Why is it that any time someone has a contrary view to yours, and is able to articulate it and you struggle to challenge it, that the person and their beliefs become a zealot and nonsense?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #242
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I disagree. Having spent 8 years in the south, (Half in south Carolina and half here in Oklahoma) I can confirm America sucks. It's not some small percentage of vocal folks. It's quite a large percentage that are against education, women, minorities, non Christians, etc... I even have redneck family back in illinois that spend all day posting confederate flag memes on Facebook. It's disgusting. I remember the first time someone in SC told me that the civil war wasn't about slavery, but state's rights. Blew my mind.

Anywho, I think you'll find much of the harshest criticisms on here are from is Americans. I genuinely wonder if I should move to a different country. This one seems to not be a good fit for me.
Perhaps moving to a different planet might be better for you, friend.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #243
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I get what he's trying to imply, and I'm simply just euro-stepping his bait. Hence the last sentence.
They were both obviously satirical comments. Calling them "bait" is a little bit much.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:30 AM   #244
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I disagree. Having spent 8 years in the south, (Half in south Carolina and half here in Oklahoma) I can confirm America sucks. It's not some small percentage of vocal folks. It's quite a large percentage that are against education, women, minorities, non Christians, etc... I even have redneck family back in illinois that spend all day posting confederate flag memes on Facebook. It's disgusting. I remember the first time someone in SC told me that the civil war wasn't about slavery, but state's rights. Blew my mind.

Anywho, I think you'll find much of the harshest criticisms on here are from is Americans. I genuinely wonder if I should move to a different country. This one seems to not be a good fit for me.
Absolutely not. Stay and fight the battle of ideas. If you slink away and leave the fight, they win.

Don't let them win.

YOU fit in America, and YOU fit with American ideology. THEY don't. THEY need to change or leave.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #245
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Tweet of the night:

aldair 🌊‏ @frljolero 1m1 minute ago
More
These are the 72 virgins they promise terrorists #Charlottesville
Why can't everyone just ignore these ninnys? I would guess the anti protesters gave them exactly what they wanted.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #246
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I lived there for 11 years thanks. I know many a minority there as well, many of them good friends.

In a country of over 350 million people..if there is 350,00 idiots? Its an extremely small amount. It would be nice if it was 0, but thats simply not the reality of the world we live in, but i know you are not part of that already so i understand how you dont get that.
Here's what I learned from your post:
According to you racism in America shouldn't be considered a problem by minorities because you lived there for 11 years as a white person and have some friends who are minorities so you can speak for them.

Your math skills need some work, .001% of 350million is 350K. That's a lot of people, even 35k is a sizeable movement when you consider where it is mainly geographically concentrated.

Lastly, you've demonstrated yet again that you seem to struggle with not resorting to petty insults when people disagree with you. So if I'm not part of this world we live in, how am I posting here? Are you certain that you're not the one from another world? Why not just focus on your argument, make sure you have your facts straight so you can be more confident in your position and not have to worry about people who disagree with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #247
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
Why can't everyone just ignore these ninnys? I would guess the anti protesters gave them exactly what they wanted.
Because ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #248
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Here's what I learned from your post:
According to you racism in America shouldn't be considered a problem by minorities because you lived there for 11 years as a white person and have some friends who are minorities so you can speak for them.
You need to learn better then.

Im saying that i lived there 11 years so i dont need a gofund or whatever to go experience what happens there. I was there, I saw it, right in the heart of Appalachia. I lived in it which allows me a bit more knowledge than someone who has not. I saw first hand that minorities still run into bigotry, never said anything different. I also never said i can speak for anyone else, but nice obfuscation once again.

Quote:
Your math skills need some work, .001% of 350million is 350K. That's a lot of people, even 35k is a sizeable movement when you consider where it is mainly geographically concentrated.
Ooooh. You got me dude...well at least on a typo. Look where the comma was placed and ask yourself "did he miss hitting one more zero or did he miss a simple math equation" You decide.

Quote:
Lastly, you've demonstrated yet again that you seem to struggle with not resorting to petty insults when people disagree with you. So if I'm not part of this world we live in, how am I posting here? Are you certain that you're not the one from another world? Why not just focus on your argument, make sure you have your facts straight so you can be more confident in your position and not have to worry about people who disagree with you.
Petty insult? That you live in a different reality from me? If thats an insult to you, you may need to step away from debating. Cause that is simply a truth if what you write on this board are your actual beliefs.

And I am more than confident in what I post. I have no idea what "facts" I dont have straight but it really doesn't matter coming from you as you will just move the goalposts and make things up anyhow. You are the master of it.

Also, if what I post so outrages you, you can feel free to just ignore it, as I also can. Instead of getting "rick rolled", I get "iggy oi'd", which is as much my fault as yours.

Back to the actual events though...

Nothing occurred overnight because of the curfew, which brings me back to one of the original points. If no one opposed them and just let them march to the statue so they could stand around yelling for no one but themselves to hear...a lot of damage and carnage could have been avoided. The media wouldn't bother covering for a second so the attention whores would be bereft of what they crave so much. I think there is a lesson in that moving forward.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #249
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I lived there for 11 years thanks. I know many a minority there as well, many of them good friends.

In a country of over 350 million people..if there is 350,00 idiots? Its an extremely small amount. It would be nice if it was 0, but thats simply not the reality of the world we live in, but i know you are not part of that already so i understand how you dont get that.
You're vastly underestimating the number of white people in America that support this ideology both loudly and quietly, and unfortunately the loudest getting louder makes the quiet get louder.

The number is in the tens of millions.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #250
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Nothing occurred overnight because of the curfew, which brings me back to one of the original points. If no one opposed them and just let them march to the statue so they could stand around yelling for no one but themselves to hear...a lot of damage and carnage could have been avoided. The media wouldn't bother covering for a second so the attention whores would be bereft of what they crave so much. I think there is a lesson in that moving forward.
I would normally agree with this, but they marched toward a prayer service on Friday night and intentionally provoked and intimidated a group that was nowhere near them. If it were feasible to ignore them, I'd advocate for that. However, they have become emboldened by the rhetoric in politics over the last year and feel justified in SEEKING OUT a physical conflict where none currently exists.

In past years, leaving it alone would have been fine. That's no longer the case, and IMO, the president needs to answer for how he's fueled that violence. It happened at his rallies, it's happening outside of his rallies now in his name. He needs to denounce this and tell them he cannot do this in the name of Trump. But he won't, because his ego won't allow him to denigrate his supporters (he needs to feel their love), and because he's likely sympathetic to their cause.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:18 AM   #251
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
You're vastly underestimating the number of white people in America that support this ideology both loudly and quietly, and unfortunately the loudest getting louder makes the quiet get louder.

The number is in the tens of millions.
How are you quantifying that statement?
Old 08-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #252
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
How are you quantifying that statement?
White people that believe white Americans are above minorities and own or are owed a country that caters to them. These are ugly, dangerous thoughts when shared by millions, and they are shared by millions in the US.

The ones bad enough to go to rallies and participate in these events are the tip of the iceberg in regards to these ideals.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:22 AM   #253
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well now that the video is out it seems pretty clear that this wasn't a guy surrounded by counter-protesters who panicked. He accelerated down a mostly empty street and slammed into them. Threw it in reverse and made a hasty retreat. He was also attending the rally as part of the alt-right so when does the head of the administration call it what it was?
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #254
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Well now that the video is out it seems pretty clear that this wasn't a guy surrounded by counter-protesters who panicked. He accelerated down a mostly empty street and slammed into them. Threw it in reverse and made a hasty retreat. He was also attending the rally as part of the alt-right so when does the head of the administration call it what it was?
Never.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #255
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are surely not tens of millions of people who are prepared to stand shoulder to shoulder with guys carrying swastika flags. These guys are a vanishing minority. There is a larger component of the US public, though, who aren't this extreme but still hold views that are concerningly steeped in nationalism and xenophobia.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #256
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"Car kills counter protestor" and not a peep from the guys who said Obama wouldn't call a spade a spade and mention Islamic terrorism by name.

That was a terrorist attack and nobody will call it that.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #257
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I would normally agree with this, but they marched toward a prayer service on Friday night and intentionally provoked and intimidated a group that was nowhere near them. If it were feasible to ignore them, I'd advocate for that. However, they have become emboldened by the rhetoric in politics over the last year and feel justified in SEEKING OUT a physical conflict where none currently exists.

In past years, leaving it alone would have been fine. That's no longer the case, and IMO, the president needs to answer for how he's fueled that violence. It happened at his rallies, it's happening outside of his rallies now in his name. He needs to denounce this and tell them he cannot do this in the name of Trump. But he won't, because his ego won't allow him to denigrate his supporters (he needs to feel their love), and because he's likely sympathetic to their cause.
Yes I agree that Trump is the single biggest narcissist we nay have ever seen in public office and that is truly saying something. Also agree that having Trump in office has emboldened them to a large degree. Nothing he says will change their beliefs or thoughts though. Truly I think he sees this as a right/left thing and that is of course absurd.

I still believe strongly however, that if you don't give groups like this the attention they seek, their message and act takes a massive hit. Seeing their "buddies" splattered all over CNN, Fox, CBS etc, is precisely what they crave. It's the only time they are of any relevance.

As you stated in the last couple decades they became unimportant because no one gave them much attention. It's not like the KKK (as an example) ever went away, its that no one cared to listen to or see them.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #258
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
"Car kills counter protestor" and not a peep from the guys who said Obama wouldn't call a spade a spade and mention Islamic terrorism by name.

That was a terrorist attack and nobody will call it that.

This will be considered terrorism legally is my guess.

he will likely be charged under terrorism law as well which will make it a federal case. Dude is in a world of hurt moving forward and i would not be surprised if he receives the death penalty if/when convicted.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #259
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
It was clear from word go that it wasn't a guy who panicked and it has been interesting watching some people twist themselves up trying to defend him. Funny how benefit of the doubt works for some people and not others.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #260
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
White people that believe white Americans are above minorities and own or are owed a country that caters to them. These are ugly, dangerous thoughts when shared by millions, and they are shared by millions in the US.

The ones bad enough to go to rallies and participate in these events are the tip of the iceberg in regards to these ideals.

Again...how are you able to quantify this statement?