Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #101
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
If he condemns them and he's basically condemning his entire voter base.
This is an overreach. As has been pointed out, these guys aren't his entire voter base.

It's completely amazing to me how unwilling or unable people are to talk consistently about extremism. The same people who pilloried Obama for equivocating and failing to speak directly and honestly in condemnation of islamism or jihadism can't even seem to summon the words "white nationalism" or "neo nazi" in circumstances where it is, at last, clearly appropriate.

Meanwhile, the same people who tried to obfuscate the problem by accusing people trying to have an honest conversation about it of "painting all Muslims as terrorists" are more than willing to do precisely the same damn thing when it comes to Republicans or right wingers.

Just unbelievable.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #102
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but has the media released the details of which group the driver of the car that drove into the crowd was supporting?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #103
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Do you really think any Trump supporters are going to be angry that he didn't condemn the Nazis? So no I don't think it's an overreach. If they support trump then they also support the people that trump supports. That's what supporting a candidate is.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #104
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This is an overreach. As has been pointed out, these guys aren't his entire voter base.

It's completely amazing to me how unwilling or unable people are to talk consistently about extremism. The same people who pilloried Obama for equivocating and failing to speak directly and honestly in condemnation of islamism or jihadism can't even seem to summon the words "white nationalism" or "neo nazi" in circumstances where it is, at last, clearly appropriate.

Meanwhile, the same people who tried to obfuscate the problem by accusing people trying to have an honest conversation about it of "painting all Muslims as terrorists" are more than willing to do precisely the same damn thing when it comes to Republicans or right wingers.

Just unbelievable.
Sort of reminds me of the current season of Big Brother.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #105
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but has the media released the details of which group the driver of the car that drove into the crowd was supporting?

OHIO plates. F-in OHIO! This guy thinks this is Dukes of Hazzard?

taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #106
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you really think any Trump supporters are going to be angry that he didn't condemn the Nazis? So no I don't think it's an overreach. If they support trump then they also support the people that trump supports. That's what supporting a candidate is.
Yes, I know Trump supporters who are upset about his reaction. Stop generalizing, especially when you consider how many Trump votes we're actually anti-Clinton votes.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #107
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am NOT supporting white nationalists so please before anyone goes there just stop.

But just to play Devils advocate, don't these guys have a right to peaceful protest under the first amendment?
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #108
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Sort of reminds me of the current season of Big Brother.
What a bizarre and also inappropriate comment.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #109
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Nobody said Trump supporters were all white supremacists but if you support Trump you're a bad person and you should feel bad. The fact that so many idiotic Americans elected him as president shows to how awful of a country America is.
This is a pretty dumb and arrogant post.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #110
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I am NOT supporting white nationalists so please before anyone goes there just stop.

But just to play Devils advocate, don't these guys have a right to peaceful protest under the first amendment?
Yes, and the counter protesters have the same right. Surrounding counter protesters and openly carrying weapon and tactical gear seems unnecessary for a "peaceful" demonstration.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #111
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think that when a car takes out counter protesters, it's categorically not peaceful anymore.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #112
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Apparently this is from the Daily Stormer. I'm not about to verify that. I got it from Twitter.

I agree with Trump for once. Both sides are at fault (the antifa and the alt-right). Both need to take more responsibility for their actions. Both sides are guilty of committing violent acts.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #113
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welp, speaking of Richard Spencer...

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #114
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you feel insulted that people are calling you racist because you support Trump. Choose a better person to support. Hell choose a person.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #115
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
I agree with Trump for once. Both sides are at fault (the antifa and the alt-right). Both need to take more responsibility for their actions. Both sides are guilty of committing violent acts.
Technically, both the LAPD and the black community were responsible for the LA riots as well. The beauty of equivocation is that you can misrepresent who carries the greater burden of guilt.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #116
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If they support trump then they also support the people that trump supports. That's what supporting a candidate is.

This is completely false.

I can support someone without knowing or supporting anyone that he/she does. Doesn't matter if it is Trump, Clinton, Trudeau, Harper, etc

Supporting someone because they are the best option (which imo Trump is not btw) does not mean that everything they do or think is agreed with.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #117
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
I don't think that when a car takes out counter protesters, it's categorically not peaceful anymore.
100% agree, however most people seem to have an issue with the political views of the protesters and the protest itself.

And for the record I don't support white nationalists. I am not even white.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:22 PM   #118
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
100% agree, however most people seem to have an issue with the political views of the protesters and the protest itself.

Yeah...its why i mentioned earlier that they should just let the idiots have their march and all anti-protesters just stay away so as to not get involved in any skirmishes with them.

They crave the attention and notoriety that comes with the violence, so if you just allow them their rally without opposition..it isnt even news anymore and no one gets injured.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #119
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's wrong with taking an issue with their political views and the protest itself? No one's saying it's illegal in the USA to march in the streets effectively declaring yourself to be an a-hole. I mean, look at the Westboro Baptist Church. There's a difference between saying "to hell with those jerks" and "they should be prevented from saying what they believe in public".

Hell, even if someone took the latter view, that's a public policy position that arguably reflects Canadian Constitutional values per the Supreme Court, so even there, it's not like that'd be completely insane.
Quote:
Not to fault you for making this sort of pre-emptive defensive statement, but it's kind of unfortunate that you feel you have to.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #120
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Trump just got elected. It's not just a "few".
If an American was this smug, we'd be talking about a typical smug American.

Tell ya what, spend the next week in rural Alberta, rural Bc and rural SK and see if you still look down your nose at them.

The us has problems no doubt, which is good for you and many others to distract you from the fact Canada has its own list of problems, including some of the same ones.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames in 07 For This Useful Post: