Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-02-2021, 08:11 AM   #461
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Feels like a firing is coming today. Just a feeling.
I pray you are right.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #462
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s just no quick fix here.

It’s time to start making changes for the sake of change, with an eye on the future. Can’t get much for Sam Bennett? Doesn’t matter. Get what you can. Can’t get much for Sean Monahan? Doesn’t matter, he’s part of the problem here. Mikael Backlund? Put him on waivers if you have to.

This team is so rotten, you just have to get players off the time and realize it’s going to be a multi-year rebuild.

Start fixing things today. Stop sitting around and saying it’s tough to get things done.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:35 AM   #463
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I'm sure he cares LOL.

He does not. LOL

And he is beyond furious. Losing while being out-talented is one thing. Putting in the effort and still losing Dad is, well not ok with but can accept. This bullpoop of not putting in any effort is what is grinding the ole fella's gears. He's also starting to feel the apathy creep in. He'll still always tune in but he's also starting up with the "I should just turn this off and spare myself" attitude which has infected so many of us now.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #464
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
There’s just no quick fix here.

It’s time to start making changes for the sake of change, with an eye on the future. Can’t get much for Sam Bennett? Doesn’t matter. Get what you can. Can’t get much for Sean Monahan? Doesn’t matter, he’s part of the problem here. Mikael Backlund? Put him on waivers if you have to.

This team is so rotten, you just have to get players off the time and realize it’s going to be a multi-year rebuild.

Start fixing things today. Stop sitting around and saying it’s tough to get things done.
Agree with Bennett. Disagree with everyone else. All that does is set the rebuild back.

Key to kick starting a rebuild is getting a good return for these guys. And the best way to do that is to inflate their stats.

Start playing tire fire hockey and if you lose every game 5-4 who cares, just let your offensive guys rack up points.

And for the Backlund, Monahan, Gaudreaus of the world their trade value is always highest at either the draft, or at the trade deadline when they have 1.5 years left on the deal so teams are getting 2 playoff runs out of them.

Inflate their stats, and move them at the right times. Just selling them off now at their lowest value does nothing but make everyone feel better because the "GM did something" and then people will regret it for the next 4 years.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #465
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know where there's audio of the Lucic post game interview?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #466
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Does anyone know where there's audio of the Lucic post game interview?
https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/big-sho...mes-want-easy/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #467
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Agree with Bennett. Disagree with everyone else. All that does is set the rebuild back.

Key to kick starting a rebuild is getting a good return for these guys. And the best way to do that is to inflate their stats.

Start playing tire fire hockey and if you lose every game 5-4 who cares, just let your offensive guys rack up points.

And for the Backlund, Monahan, Gaudreaus of the world their trade value is always highest at either the draft, or at the trade deadline when they have 1.5 years left on the deal so teams are getting 2 playoff runs out of them.

Inflate their stats, and move them at the right times. Just selling them off now at their lowest value does nothing but make everyone feel better because the "GM did something" and then people will regret it for the next 4 years.
"Inflate their stats" is the problem though.

How do you do that? This team is offensively inept, and this core cannot linger beyond this season. So how do we inflate their stats over the next 30 games or so?

Johnny is the only player who we should outright keep up front. He's the only elite talent, and he's proving it again this season, and he's the player with the most control over his own destiny going forward given he only has 1 more year left with some trade protection. The best way to handle this situation is to retain 50%, deal him in-season this year and get back a big return or, extend him.

Mikael Backlund? We just have to hope he gets claimed by Seattle. He's a foundational piece in this awful core. No one will be taking his contract without sending a poison pill back the other way. Seattle is our best hope.

Mark Giordano? Well, he's walking off into the sunset. We aren't making the playoffs this year, and this team should also be awful in 2021/2022, so his contract is of little concern.

Sean Monahan? Yeah, get the best offer you can. We have a bit of time on this one.

This team needs a new GM, a new coach, and a new heart.

Last edited by ComixZone; 03-02-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:27 AM   #468
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we are rebuilding why do we care if the core lingers beyond this season?

You’re not going to turn that core over overnight or even in one offseason. If it’s a rebuild that we are doing then it needs to be a multi season plan to dismantle this core and maximize value.

And I don’t think this roster is offensively inept. This core was a top 5 goal scoring team over the last two seasons prior to this one, so it’s not the players that can’t score, they are playing an offensively inept system. That’s the first thing that needs to change.

Honestly this is 2011-2013 all over again. Bring in bad coaches that drains all offensive creativity and risk out of the team, then blame the players and trade guys at their all time low value because it was their fault that they couldn't score playing the coaches terrible system. That team tried to bring in Hartley to pump up the stats but by that point it was too late because there was a lockout and guys only had 30 games to turn around their numbers before they were traded and hadn't washed all the Brent Sutter stink off the team yet.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 03-02-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #469
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Feels like a firing is coming today. Just a feeling.
I don't think so. Treliving just hired Ward to be the head coach and handed him a two year contract. How does he explain to ownership that his latest coach hire needs to be fired 23 games into his tenure? Honestly put yourself in Treliving's position as it looks really bad from where he's sitting. I wouldn't be surprised if ownership puts the freeze on the roster and coaching staff for review in the offseason where they may opt to clean house. That's probably the best thing for the organization as they don't have to worry about paying fans watching the rest of this season play out. Getting a high draft pick will excite fans as will a new regime bring optimism as they have to sell tickets for next season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #470
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving is just going to sit there like a deer in the headlights all season. It's probably for the best. No more decisions should come from him anyway.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:34 AM   #471
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
If we are rebuilding why do we care if the core lingers beyond this season?

You’re not going to turn that core over overnight or even in one offseason. If it’s a rebuild that we are doing then it needs to be a multi season plan to dismantle this core and maximize value.

And I don’t think this roster is offensively inept. This core was a top 5 goal scoring team over the last two seasons prior to this one, so it’s not the players that can’t score, they are playing an offensively inept system. That’s the first thing that needs to change.

Honestly this is 2010-2013 all over again. Bring in bad coaches that drains all offensive creativity and risk out of the team, then blame the players and trade guys at their all time low value because it was their fault that they couldn't score playing the coaches terrible system.
Geoff Ward should never have been hired, and should have been fired already - I'm definitely not giving that guy a pass.

I just also think that this "core" is over, and I think Monahan, Backlund, and Giordano need to go.

I want Johnny extended, but the three I listed? Bye Felicia.

Rhett went off today that Darryl should be brought in. That would be the perfect way to go in my eyes. For this season, hire Darryl Sutter - and have him be a leader for this team.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:37 AM   #472
Spurly
Draft Pick

Default Flames

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/0...fire-head.html
Spurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #473
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I pray you are right.
I don't really need anyone fired.

I just wish I had some insight into what the hell the plan is to build a contender. Other than Treliving being in on the next player that is made available by his GM.

Of course no GM makes their plans public but sometimes you can actually discern it from their actions.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #474
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Treliving is just going to sit there like a deer in the headlights all season.
As is tradition.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #475
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

The top players have still produced near a PPG though and the goalies have been passable to great. I see the main two culprits as systems and a downgrade in their bottom 6.

The bottom 5 forwards (every one but Looch) have provided very little. Less than even your average depth forwards on an NHL team.

Rieder, Czarnik and Quine don't even look so bad right now.

Also old Ryan was leaps better than this years Ryan pre injury.
Hmm this all points to GM'ing and coaching, where I was lead to believe it was all give-a-crapness.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #476
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Geoff Ward should never have been hired, and should have been fired already - I'm definitely not giving that guy a pass.

I just also think that this "core" is over, and I think Monahan, Backlund, and Giordano need to go.

I want Johnny extended, but the three I listed? Bye Felicia.

Rhett went off today that Darryl should be brought in. That would be the perfect way to go in my eyes. For this season, hire Darryl Sutter - and have him be a leader for this team.
I don't disagree that those three need to go but don't think you should just give those guys away either. And if you're keeping everyone else and extending Johnny then that's a retool, not a rebuild.

I've maintained since the offseason that a retool is required here. I don't think it's full scorched earth rebuild but think there is a core of 26 and under players this team can build around (+Markstrom).

Forward: Lindholm, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Dube, Zary, Pelletier (Maybe they do extend Johnny too)

Defense: Hanifin, Andersson, Valimaki, Mackey, Kylington

I'd probably keep those guys as the new "core".

Monahan, Backlund, Gio, Tanev, Bennett, & Gaudreau (if you don't come to reasonable terms on an extension) should be moved. Lucic is untradeable so he can stay to be a veteran leader on the 4th line until he retires.

And yeah bringing in Darryl to end the season should be an option (Boudreau is still my first choice).

If I'm ownership I'm making that move. BT can be a lame duck GM until the end of the year and I bring in Darryl to see who's part of the solution and who can go.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:03 AM   #477
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurly View Post

Not hard to release Green - his contract is up at the end of the season.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #478
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think so. Treliving just hired Ward to be the head coach and handed him a two year contract. How does he explain to ownership that his latest coach hire needs to be fired 23 games into his tenure? Honestly put yourself in Treliving's position as it looks really bad from where he's sitting. I wouldn't be surprised if ownership puts the freeze on the roster and coaching staff for review in the offseason where they may opt to clean house. That's probably the best thing for the organization as they don't have to worry about paying fans watching the rest of this season play out. Getting a high draft pick will excite fans as will a new regime bring optimism as they have to sell tickets for next season.
I for one will have a hard time getting excited for next year if they continue to fall apart and fail to make any changes this year. Not really, I will be back with renewed hope, like every year.

Unfortunately having a high draft pick this year is a total crapshoot. You are basically drafting a 16 year old, since the 17 year old season is meaningless. Makes a hard job even harder.

Sutter, Boudreau, Gallant, Julien. Get a real coach and see what happens. Expecting Ward to somehow learn how to coach at this stage is foolish.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:12 AM   #479
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

He would never admit it in a million years, but I bet Brad gave up on this season and is already looking ahead.

That being the case, Ward will coach this team for the duration of the season.

I hope he's at least formulating some plans for a core shakeup.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:13 AM   #480
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

There may not even be a draft this year at all.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote