Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default LCD TV Repair Shop

So, I have two LCD TVs that are having similar problems that I'd like to first get an estimate on, then theoretically get repaired.

The first is a couple years old Toshiba 42" that works perfectly... for five minutes or so. Then the screen goes completely blank but the sound keeps working fine. Doesn't matter what the video input is set to, the screen is black after 5 or so minutes. Turn it off for a bit, and it will do the same thing.

The second is an older (say 4 years old ish) 27" Digimate (I think) LCD that again works perfectly for 5 or 10 minutes, then turns itself off completely. Again, leaving it off for a bit and then turning it back on recreates the problem.

Clearly both are overheating somehow.

Any recommendations from the good Calgary Puck community on a TV repair shop? Neither are under warranty anymore so that's not really an issue. I'm not desperate to have them repaired in house, so I can drop them off somewhere to have them looked at. I'd like to get an estimate on repair before committing (especially on the older 27" one).

Thanks in advance.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm afraid that TV repair shops don't exist anymore.

Modern electronics cannot really be repaired and nobody does this outside of warranty or OEM partners. If you really think the issues are simple overheating, try running both TVs outdoors (including power supplies if any) with the casing removed and see if they stay on for longer. If that is the case, get a laser thermometer and take readings of various areas of the internals and determine what is hotest. It may simply be a few overheating mosfets or something. If that is the case, get some heatsinks and thermal expoxy and attach them to the overheating parts.

Google the models and see if others have had the same issue. Post questions on DIY electronics forums like http://www.electro-tech-online.com/r...r-electronics/

Most of these things have to be fixed by yourself. I don't think any companies specialize in this sort of thing anymore.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-13-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you googled the part numbers. Chances are someone else has experienced the same problems as you.

It may be a simple fix. Or you're TV's are fata'ed.....
Old 04-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Gobsgraham
Scoring Winger

Exp:

PM sent.

I can do board level repairs on LCD and plasma TV's (computer motheboards, arcade monitors, video cards and power supplies also). TV repair guys will charge you $100 to come and look at it and then tell you you have to replace the boards and they are very expensive. In most cases it is an hour or two of work to open the TV and replace some components.
Gobsgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't touch any capacitors if you fiddle around inside the tv, you'll get zapped pretty good.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to bump an old thread but I just wanted to let folks know about my experience, and maybe provide a plug for a fellow CPer who richly deserves it.

Gobsgraham and I did exchange PMs and eventually agreed to meet so he could have a look at my 2 defunct TVs as noted above. For the bargain basement price of $50 he agreed to assess both TVs and get back to me with repair estimates or evaluations. As it turned out, the old 27" was beyond saving (but even at that, Gobsgraham went to the effort of testing the TV, finding the likely failed component, finding said component in the US, getting an estimate as well as the restocking charges should the part be incorrect - too much to bother considering the cost of a new 27" LCD).

The 42" Toshiba he had to clean up some of the soder and some other relatively minor stuff, but in the end it is working like a champ. Even better, to ensure I was comfortable with the whole transaction, he told me to take it home, set it up and if it was still working in a month to send him $100 via Paypal.

Well, it hasn't been quite a month but I just sent Gobsgraham some money and it seemed only fitting that I also pop on here and let anyone interested know how satisfied I am. I'd easily recommend him to anyone, so if you have having issues with a TV and need someone to have a look, toss him a PM.

Thanks again Gobsgraham.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Gobsgraham
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the great review Mike. I am gald to see that you are happy and that your TV should be around for a few more years.

Just so everyone is aware, this is not a business for me but more of a hobby. I don't like the just replace it mentality and the electronics in the junkyard. I also can't stand the service shops charging a lot of money to come and look at it just to tell you that you have to replace all 3 boards in side for a $1000. That is the reason people end up just replacing their TV's. Then the service shop rebuilds it and sell it for $500. Search for Bestech on Kijiji.

If you want me to look at your TV I charge $50 to look at it and another $100 if I return it working. In cases where a board is required I can usually find it wholesale and let you decide what to do with it. If I can't fix the TV, I will recycle it so that the parts don't end up in the landfill. I specifically don't use ERA because they solicit donations from people/companies and then turn around and sell the computers.

I can also repair computer motherboards, power supplies, video cards, arcade monitors and machines. PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by Gobsgraham; 08-16-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Reduced pricing to be accurate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gobsgraham For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsgraham View Post
Thanks for the great review Mike. I am gald to see that you are happy and that your TV should be around for a few more years.

Just so everyone is aware, this is not a business for me but more of a hobby. I don't like the just replace it mentality and the electronics in the junkyard. I also can't stand the service shops charging a lot of money to come and look at it just to tell you that you have to replace all 3 boards in side for a $1000. That is the reason people end up just replacing their TV's. Then the service shop rebuilds it and sell it for $500. Search for Bestech on Kijiji.

If you want me to look at your TV I charge $50 to look at it and $150 if I return it working. In cases where a board is required I can usually find it wholesale and let you decide what to do with it. If I can't fix the TV, I will recycle it for you at R4 Technologies so that the parts don't end up in the landfill. I specifically don't use ERA because they solicit donations from people/companies and then turn around and sell the computers.

I can also repair computer motherboards, power supplies, video cards, arcade monitors and machines. PM me if you have any questions.

Where is R4 Technologies located? I currently recycle all our office equipment at ERA and thought they were a bit shady when I was inside and they were selling freshly dropped off LCD's to what appeared to be a "friend"
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Gobsgraham
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Where is R4 Technologies located? I currently recycle all our office equipment at ERA and thought they were a bit shady when I was inside and they were selling freshly dropped off LCD's to what appeared to be a "friend"
32nd Ave NE right beside Arctic Cat and across the stree from Active Electronics.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobsgraham View Post
That's awesome man. I've always known a bunch of electricians but not guys who worked on electronics. The most I would be able do on my own is sticking it into the oven to reflow something if I had no ideas about what was actually wrong.

I have an LCD monitor I'd like to get fixed, there's a line running through the screen that appeared a few months after purchase. I think this may be a problem with the panel itself though and not something that can be replaced. Any ideas?

I've also got a motherboard where the PCI-E slot stopped working properly, it wouldn't detect any videocards in it. I can run the integrated video but I can't use any videocards with it. It's frustrating but I don't know where to start aside from trying to bake the board but I'm worried about temperatures on liquid caps.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-04-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #11
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Uob...b1o23uF868NM6n
Old 12-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Have you googled the part numbers. Chances are someone else has experienced the same problems as you.

It may be a simple fix. Or you're TV's are fata'ed.....
Most likely the caps went out and they're easy to fix and would cost you $5 to fix.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Note that this is a very old thread that was bumped.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm an idiot...
Old 12-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Helpful though
Old 12-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the hell? I hit new posts and it came up and it was me that first posted or bumped it...
Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #17
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The bump was a spam attempt- which was deleted.

Photon doesn't share my sick sense of humour in keeping the spam posts around for the enjoyment of others.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think you're that guy. locckeeeddd
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hear absolutely horrible things from southlandcrossingtv. Horrible. Bad. bad. bad.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
Gobsgraham
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am no longer repairing TV's as I don't have time. I get a PM every couple of months from someone because of this thread so I thought I should just put this in here rather than have them waste their time sending out the descriptions in PM's. Good luck and use Google (model number and description)

Tags
haha stupid oilers , missing my stories , oilers suck , souray hates edmonton , tv repair