Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2023, 08:51 PM   #101
MonaTone
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
People talk a big "inclusivity" game...until someone doesn't put on the Special Sweater.

The hypocrisy is astounding.
This shouldn't be a shocker but being an ally by calling out bigotry and homophobia IS inclusivity.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MonaTone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 08:55 PM   #102
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
There are different views on these things. Some may not want to be associated with dog and pony shows (which IMO, much of this is). If the NHL really wants to be practical, they should just release their own internal anonymous numbers on these things, and talk about their steps to getting the numbers in line with the population where they can. All these inclusion events, meh, doesn't move the dial except for the corporate people above to pat themselves on the back and say, "job well done everyone, we did our part". Meanwhile joe schmoe eats this nonsense up. It's everywhere.
Have you looked in at all to what else the league is doing?
Old 03-18-2023, 08:56 PM   #103
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually agree that wearing a pride sweater is pretty much the bare minimum to support the queer community…and Reimer won’t even do that. I don’t think history will look kindly upon guys like Reimer.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 08:57 PM   #104
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

Nope.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:59 PM   #105
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
BuT tHoSe ArE kInGdOm LaWs, NoT mOrAlIsTiC lAws.

sorry, quoted the wrong person.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:00 PM   #106
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
No, he just want this. It's obvious.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:00 PM   #107
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalera403 View Post
A wonderful reason to post this.

I wonder if James has answers to any of these questions as well.

Love this
Old 03-18-2023, 09:01 PM   #108
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Nope.
See
Old 03-18-2023, 09:01 PM   #109
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
I actually agree that wearing a pride sweater is pretty much the bare minimum to support the queer community…and Reimer won’t even do that. I don’t think history will look kindly upon guys like Reimer.
History wasn't looking kindly on these people when I was in High School 20 years ago.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:06 PM   #110
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the reasons initiatives like this are important is because it sends a message to young people that what they are is ok.
Suicide amongst lgbtq youths is still a real problem.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 09:07 PM   #111
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope.
I guess you are an expert on doing the bare minimum then
Easier to just complain rather than educate yourself
Also when you find yourself on the same side of an argument as BoLevi it’s time to reexamine one’s position
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 09:08 PM   #112
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’d love to see a player come out and refuse to participate in military appreciation night because of the atrocities committed by the US in Iraq or Afghanistan. Or say they are against promoting the armed forces due to their religious beliefs.

Then we’ll see how much the league wants to support freedom of expression when a sponsor who paid to have their own special jersey gets upset.

Having a bunch of homophobe players hasn’t cost the league any money yet, so they don’t give a #### about these pride events.
and Reimer is a Mennonite (at least culturally, you can tell by the name). We are PACIFISTS and he has participated in military nights before. My family was shunned from the church because a relative went to military school in the 60's. I believe he has identified as religiously menno before.

The hypocrisy is out of control. Pacifism is the CENTRAL tenet of our faith; not hating people who like to kiss different people.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:09 PM   #113
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
I guess you are an expert on doing the bare minimum then
Easier to just complain rather than educate yourself
Also when you find yourself on the same side of an argument as BoLevi it’s time to reexamine one’s position
That was garbage. "I don't want this" Did you look any further into what's being done by the league? "Nope". Just garbage and shows how he really feels.

Just like CaliPantherFan's example of what remaining faithful to the bible actually means. Spoiler alert, most don't until they can add to repressing a group that makes them uncomfortable. It's heartbreaking that this **** is still going on in 2023.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 09:11 PM   #114
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Jiri. So tell me where I can find the league's numbers on these things and their plans? Educate me. There are multiple views on marginalized communities and how they want to be treated. For you to put me on the other side just because it doesn't agree with yours is just wrong. But you do have a history of that...
Old 03-18-2023, 09:12 PM   #115
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennoknight View Post
and Reimer is a Mennonite (at least culturally, you can tell by the name). We are PACIFISTS and he has participated in military nights before. My family was shunned from the church because a relative went to military school in the 60's. I believe he has identified as religiously menno before.

The hypocrisy is out of control. Pacifism is the CENTRAL tenet of our faith; not hating people who like to kiss different people.
Yeah, but military night is fine because it's not "ewww the gays!". CaliPanthersFan highlighted exactly how too many are complete hypocrites with the bible and only cite it when they don't like a group. It's so painfully obvious.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:12 PM   #116
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^responding to bluejays....Do your own work man.
I'm not saying they are doing enough. But I also didn't put forth an opinion that basically was 'I don't support this because they aren't doing enough' with out first examining what they ARE and aren't doing.

I'm not here to educate you.

I think hockey has a lot of issues with its culture that need to be corrected. But I don’t see how something like this can be seen as anything but a step forward

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 03-18-2023 at 09:17 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 09:17 PM   #117
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I'm so sick of these losers making what should be a no-brainer cause to support and turning it into an egotistical opportunity to point out their ignorance and hypocrisy.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 09:18 PM   #118
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^responding to bluejays....Do your own work man.
I'm not saying they are doing enough. But I also didn't put forth an opinion that basically was 'I don't support this because they aren't doing enough' with out first examining what they ARE and aren't doing.

I'm not here to educate you.

I didn't say I don't support this because they aren't doing enough. I said I think this is just marketing to make themselves feel good. I remember when Bettman was asked about what plans they're laying down he said they would keep that internal. Doesn't mean they're not doing anything, but it wasn't out in the open. So that information should be easy to find. I told you my position on it but somehow I'm against it? Get outta here. It's nonsense.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:37 PM   #119
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennoknight View Post

So his religion says it's okay to work with Mexican cartels to bring life-ruining drugs into his community but wearing a rainbow jersey for 15 minutes is a bridge too far.
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 10:19 PM   #120
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

It just got worse:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1637284859398983685

Quote:
"In Toronto, Nazem Kadri as a teammate, loved him to death. I don’t know exactly the extent of his faith, his Muslim faith. But he’s a Muslim,” Reimer told San Jose Hockey Now while discussing at length his reasons for refusing to don the special warmup jersey.

“I think you could talk to him and ask him if I treated him any different. I love him. I competed with him on the ice, we joked around, we did life together.

“And yet, people would understand if I wouldn’t be able to wear a Muslim jersey in warmups, promoting the Muslim faith, being a Christian and a follow in Christ. He himself would fully understand that.”
Closed Thread