Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2023, 11:14 AM   #1
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Kitchen Organization Hacks

So I've been working on re-organizing my kitchen lately without having to rebuild the whole thing to work for me...

For the base blind corner cabinet, I'm looking at buying this product. Seems like I'll have some wasted space since it's smaller than my whole cabinet, but it'll work way better than all the stuff that's unreachable without moving 100 things out of the way.
https://www.shopperplus.ca/p-394776-...stem#sku424381

Can someone tell me how to utilize upper blind corner cabinet better?

If anyone doesn't know what a blind corner cabinet is, it's these corner ones where you have to reach around for stuff:

Share other storage hacks here please =)

Last edited by jwslam; 03-11-2023 at 11:17 AM.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 11:43 AM   #2
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

There aren't really any great options for upper cabinets like that that I'm aware of, at least in terms of hardware. That's why a lot of kitchens have either 45º corner cabinets or ones with bi-fold doors that allow full access. Or try to avoid upper corner cabinets all together, though that really depends on the layout. Sometimes it makes sense and other times it's impossible.

The only real organizational tip for those I could think of would be to store lighter things there and keep the stuff by the opening in bins so you can lift everything out to get access to the seldom used things at the back. Far from ideal though.

Those pull out hardware things for lower cabinets are good. You definitely lose total storage capacity, but if you have the space, the usability is so much better than just a shelf. I have something similar in two corner cabinets in my kitchen and I just store pots/pans, large mixing bowls, and whatnot and it works great.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:37 PM   #3
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree pullouts are great for lower cabinets (not just the blind ones), makes things much more accessible. All I can suggest for an upper blind corner cabinet is storing stuff that you rarely need.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 02:55 PM   #4
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
So I've been working on re-organizing my kitchen lately without having to rebuild the whole thing to work for me...

For the base blind corner cabinet, I'm looking at buying this product. Seems like I'll have some wasted space since it's smaller than my whole cabinet, but it'll work way better than all the stuff that's unreachable without moving 100 things out of the way.
https://www.shopperplus.ca/p-394776-...stem#sku424381

If anyone doesn't know what a blind corner cabinet is, it's these corner ones where you have to reach around for stuff:

the only real solution for the upper cabinet is to just use a couple of trays to put the stuff in so you can easily pull everything in and out in one go
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:03 PM   #5
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
With something like that. I'd worry about something (say a spatula) jamming the mechanism and being hard to reach and dislodge.

Get some storage bins and put the smaller, less-used gadgets and items in them.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:45 PM   #6
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I like the metal file folder for organizing large pans and cutting boards. Ours fits right under our top mounted cupboards, in a corner that would be tricky to use anyhow. Keeps them organized and handy. Something like this:

WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 08:10 PM   #7
Tyler12
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I found this usefull after going down the Carbon Steel Pan/ Cast Iron tunnel.
Tyler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 08:31 PM   #8
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel your pain. We have an issue that is tangentially similar - a pantry along the side of the wall. It’s 16 inches deep and about 5 1/2 ft wide accessible by a single standard interior door. If we need to get anything that’s at either end, we have to pull everything out. We normally just store seldom used things there, obviously, but it would be more useful if we could open up that whole section and use a barn door or something. I don’t know why homes were built like this.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:57 AM   #9
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Best organizational hack I've come up with is stuff I don't use often go into the storage room in the basement.

We setup shelves for big appliances, large pots and pans that get used rarely, cans and juice bottles, etc.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2023, 10:22 AM   #10
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
the only real solution for the upper cabinet is to just use a couple of trays to put the stuff in so you can easily pull everything in and out in one go
When we built our house, we had a 45 degree angle cupboard, with its own door, put in that corner. Not sure if you can modify your kitchen that way...but it does solve the problem of accessing that area.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 05:11 PM   #11
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can someone recommend me someone who can turn this

into this?
Old 03-18-2023, 09:21 PM   #12
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Can someone recommend me someone who can turn this

into this?
This may be what you're looking for.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:04 PM   #13
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For this type, I'd just get some of that laminated shelf board, cut it to size and block off that deep bit you'd normally have to reach around into, and re-add the horizontal shelf.

BUT, before I walled that bit off, I'd buy a small fake skeleton or Chucky doll and stuff it back in there so that if you ever sell and the new owners reno the kitchen, they get a fun surprise when they remove that upper cabinet.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 08:54 AM   #14
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
All my cupboards are pullouts, well except for the upper ones. I would suggest that whatever you choose, make sure there is a ledge around the bottom of each shelf, to prevent items from sliding or falling off. The ones shown in the link have a metal bar but smaller items can still slide through.

You will get much more capacity on each shelf if there is a small solid ledge to prevent items from falling off.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:54 PM   #15
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
I'm happy to DIY stuff in the garage, but building stuff that can be visually unattractive to me on a daily basis is not in my comfort zone.
Old 03-28-2023, 12:17 AM   #16
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before you go balls to the wall for storage upgrades, have you considered it might be cheaper to acquire new kitchen stuff that takes less space? Like the measuring spoons and cups that aren't multiple items, but a single one you can adjust? Replacing pots and pans to higher end pots and pans of a specific size you use frequently? Smaller sized table settings (plates, cups, bowls etc) and higher end disposables or nicer settings stored in a storage area until you have guests?

Maybe it was covid pricing, but for like $1,000 I get barely any meaningful storage upgrades for my place. Maybe a corner or two constituting maybe 5-10% extra space. But $1,000 for a kitchen shopping spree for stuff that would feel less cluttered and treats for retraining the family would seemingly go so far. I think $1K could replace around half of my daily kitchen stuff or more without factoring seldom used stuff. ####ty storage containers for food take up a ton of space too. I have like 16 ####ing pyrex/anchor glass bowls and like 8 lids (most of them cracked) because the lids ####ing suck. I gotta reduce, reuse or recycle that ####. (And I also have a new 16 piece set I haven't cracked open)

I've been doing more purge evaluation lately and ending up with lots of "Oh #### I have this?" When going through kitchen stuff. Or rolling my eyes at the 6-7 pots and pans I combine together to have 3-4 functional ones. I have 4-5 lids for pots and pans I know I've thrown out.

Something weird I saw at someone's place once was that they didn't store dry breakfasts or snacks in the kitchen area. It was in the storage pantry like area in a den. The guy said it started off as a tactic to try and reduce snacking, but worked for kitchen space, so he kept doing it. Another had a pretty spacious kitchen by storing all mainly party used stuff at his wet bar in the basement. "Guests always ask what they can do. I tell them to bring up stuff so we can eat on it. And after it's cleaned, they bring it down incrementally when we go down for a top up of our refreshments."

Part of it is habit. Part of it is what you have.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote