Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-06-2022, 10:17 AM   #1
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Upcoming 7 Days of Hell

For the first time I can remember (certainly in the 20 years of having Flames season tickets), 4 games in the next 6 days at home, 5 games in 7 overall.

Borderline unfair, the difference really being the extra game vs the Oilers game which is a Covid carryover game. Surely that could've been scheduled somewhere else given the teams' proximity to each other.

After a highly charged game last night, a plane ride home, a deserved day off today, because things get mad crazy this week:

Oilers Monday - we need to beat them, it's the toilet dwelling Oilers Stanley Cup
game they get up for and always emotional. Oilers have had as much rest as we have, playing last night.

Caps Tuesday - Back at it the next day again Ovechkin. Caps played last night, they will watch us play the Oilers tomorrow from their Calgary hotel room.

TB Thursday - Powerhouse high flying Tampa in a game likely similar to last night. Tampa plays tonight and Tuesday.

Wings Saturday (5pm) - A bit of a let off vs a weaker team, but and odd local start time. Wings play Tuesday and Thursday.

Avs Sunday away. A flight to Colorado after playing the Wings. 2nd back to back in less then a week vs the Avs again, looking for some revenge. Avs will have a few days rest coming in, playing Tuesday and Thursday.

Flames then will be off for 2 nights before Wednesday next week.

This really is a very critical week for the Flames team this season, and I don't mean standings or results wise. As high as I am on the team, and the system they have embraced under Sutter and the intensity involved, this is a tough slog against 3 really good teams, 1 team that will try harder than they do against any other team in the league.

Mentally it will be draining to match a Tampa on Thursday after 2 games already played, or Avs next Sunday after 4 games since last night and another flight there on a back to back.

Physically is the biggest concern for me, there has to be real concern about fatigue and resultant injury with any stretch of this amount of games in these nights, again, against, with the intense effort that Sutter demands to play his system, against some tough opponents who don't have this same stretch of games now, or all season.

Getting leads and playing from ahead will be key as it always is, to allow all 4 lines to run each game as much as possible. Do we see a Stone draw in? Certainly should see Ruzicka and Richardson and others, and a healthy dose of Vladar.

I will say a record 2-2-1, and be happy to come out with no key injuries.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 10:31 AM   #2
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
For the first time I can remember (certainly in the 20 years of having Flames season tickets), 4 games in the next 6 days at home, 5 games in 7 overall.

Borderline unfair, the difference really being the extra game vs the Oilers game which is a Covid carryover game. Surely that could've been scheduled somewhere else given the teams' proximity to each other.

After a highly charged game last night, a plane ride home, a deserved day off today, because things get mad crazy this week:

Oilers Monday - we need to beat them, it's the toilet dwelling Oilers Stanley Cup
game they get up for and always emotional. Oilers have had as much rest as we have, playing last night.

Caps Tuesday - Back at it the next day again Ovechkin. Caps played last night, they will watch us play the Oilers tomorrow from their Calgary hotel room.

TB Thursday - Powerhouse high flying Tampa in a game likely similar to last night. Tampa plays tonight and Tuesday.

Wings Saturday (5pm) - A bit of a let off vs a weaker team, but and odd local start time. Wings play Tuesday and Thursday.

Avs Sunday away. A flight to Colorado after playing the Wings. 2nd back to back in less then a week vs the Avs again, looking for some revenge. Avs will have a few days rest coming in, playing Tuesday and Thursday.

Flames then will be off for 2 nights before Wednesday next week.

This really is a very critical week for the Flames team this season, and I don't mean standings or results wise. As high as I am on the team, and the system they have embraced under Sutter and the intensity involved, this is a tough slog against 3 really good teams, 1 team that will try harder than they do against any other team in the league.

Mentally it will be draining to match a Tampa on Thursday after 2 games already played, or Avs next Sunday after 4 games since last night and another flight there on a back to back.

Physically is the biggest concern for me, there has to be real concern about fatigue and resultant injury with any stretch of this amount of games in these nights, again, against, with the intense effort that Sutter demands to play his system, against some tough opponents who don't have this same stretch of games now, or all season.

Getting leads and playing from ahead will be key as it always is, to allow all 4 lines to run each game as much as possible. Do we see a Stone draw in? Certainly should see Ruzicka and Richardson and others, and a healthy dose of Vladar.

I will say a record 2-2-1, and be happy to come out with no key injuries.
Yup......a very real concern and why i hope Sutter mixes and matches all 14 F and 7 D over the stretch and somewhat balances ice time during games...the team has a cushion and this is where it could really pay off.

6 games in 8 nights is absurd.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoa. Calm down concernicus. They'll be fine.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:33 AM   #4
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yup......a very real concern and why i hope Sutter mixes and matches all 14 F and 7 D over the stretch and somewhat balances ice time during games...the team has a cushion and this is where it could really pay off.

6 games in 8 nights is absurd.
I think it would be great to see Stone come in and give someone that's bruised up an extra day off or 2.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:52 AM   #5
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Do we see Markstrom (Oilers), Vladar (Caps, second of a back-to-back), Markstrom (Tampa), Vladar (Wings), Markstrom (Avs, second of a back-to-back)?
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:09 AM   #6
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 11:13 AM   #7
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
If this is hell, I don't wanna be in heaven.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 11:18 AM   #8
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before the Montreal game, I was hoping for 3-3-1 in their next 7. They have gone 1-0-1.

If they go 2-3 in their next 5, I will be satisfied.
keenan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:27 AM   #9
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would rather 1-4 beating the no-goods, than 4-1 with a loss to the grease
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 11:32 AM   #10
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

6 points would be tremendous. Aside from results, would really like to see some pep out of the bottom 6. Not sure who it’s gonna be but need more from the group.
Old 03-06-2022, 11:33 AM   #11
DB93
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyloob12 View Post
Do we see Markstrom (Oilers), Vladar (Caps, second of a back-to-back), Markstrom (Tampa), Vladar (Wings), Markstrom (Avs, second of a back-to-back)?
Agree with this assessment. I think this will be the approach.
DB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #12
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like to think of it as upcoming 7 days that the Flames will unleash hell on the league

https://twitter.com/jfreshhockey/sta...333419009?s=21
https://twitter.com/user/status/1500524251333419009
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 12:10 PM   #13
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s almost like Sutter saw this coming and saved up Vladar for multiple starts in this stretch.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 12:19 PM   #14
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
I like to think of it as upcoming 7 days that the Flames will unleash hell on the league

The surprise on this chart is the Kings.

The Flames are just dominant - playoff hockey every night
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #15
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Honestly we can't expect this team to just roll at 16-3-1 clip to end their schedule. There will be a blip at some point. Remember the feeling around here when they dropped that game to Ottawa coming off the unsuccessful road trip? Seemed like the jig was up ... it wasn't.

This could be the week with the really tough schedule both in terms of competition but also number of games.

But they've built up some room to handle that now, they have a safety net.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:50 PM   #16
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Honestly we can't expect this team to just roll at 16-3-1 clip to end their schedule. There will be a blip at some point. Remember the feeling around here when they dropped that game to Ottawa coming off the unsuccessful road trip? Seemed like the jig was up ... it wasn't.

This could be the week with the really tough schedule both in terms of competition but also number of games.

But they've built up some room to handle that now, they have a safety net.
Yeah, I expect some losses soon, and this week's schedule may be the catalyst to bring them on.

JUST. BEAT. EDMONTON.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 01:00 PM   #17
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it'll be Marky, Darth, Marky, Marky, Darth.

One has to wonder if there's a way to rest a bunch of key players for that game on the 13th. 5th game in 7 nights vs a rested Avs team, it seems like a situation where big picture matters more than the result on that particular night. An injury to a key player could throw a major wrench in this team's aspirations of making a deep playoff run. This is where being tight up against the cap has the unfortunate consequence of not being able to call up a bunch of guys from Stockton for a game like this.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 01:28 PM   #18
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Agreed about injuries and fatigue.

Just establish a cadence and stick to OUR game during times like these and we will be fine.

I'm just hoping that Dube works his way out of the doghouse he put himself in.

Darryls got them in a great position and as long as we keep S simple we will get good results.

I've just been getting more and more concerned with the horrible officiating in some of these games and based on Darryls shooing away of the officials I'd say he agrees.

There's nothing worse than having a plan destroyed because the stripes have ulterior motives ....and they do.....I'm going to be watching for certain things from certain opposing players during this stretch.

I just don't want to see any suspensions either but when we play the caps and Bolts I get a little cranky ( not a he needs a snickers cranky either) these guys are just dirty , sneaky and as Johnny dangerously says "fargin sneaky bastiches" that get away with too much....especially Wilson on the caps.....I hope someone goes into the corners with him and he doesn't get up....ahem Z or G or Looch.....lites him the f up!!!!

This is a good team. We will be okay . Stay the course.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 01:52 PM   #19
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would almost be fine if with a 2-3 record during stretch if they come out healthy at the end
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 02:05 PM   #20
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post

Graphic design fail here: xGF and xGA have the same units and similar scales, and the difference is xG differential (a relevant metric). Would be far more logical and intuitive to give them the same axis scaling where the equal differential lines would actually be 45 degree diagonals.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , gfg , oilers suck