Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2023, 02:24 PM   #821
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Well, fill me in.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 04:27 PM   #822
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
There is talk of another export terminal north of there(indigenous owned) which I believe would tie in to Coastal Gaslink. This would indicate the pipeline has more capacity than the export terminal, and could supply 2. So the Kitimat plant would technically be running at full capacity, while not able to export all the gas the pipeline could take.

Now, lot's of "if's" in there, and I have no inside knowledge. Just what I had read somewhere recently.

I don't think gas supply would be an issue, unless new drilling is stopped. Once there is a market, it will be economical to extract and export.
Yeah, I hear you, which is why I asked the question as it wasn't clear what he was driving at. The Cedar LNG plant is quite a bit smaller than LNG Canada, so presumably the pipeline capacity is sufficient. It seems to me the LNG Canada plant running at full capacity really depends on the operational issues pertaining to that plant. I don't think any plant ever runs at 100% (scheduled maintenance) but I don't think there would be any reason to question capacity when the thing isn't even built.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 09:06 AM   #823
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ice-free Arctic Ocean?

Maybe Churchill isn't the worst idea after all!!!!
Old 03-24-2023, 09:48 AM   #824
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Ice-free Arctic Ocean?

Maybe Churchill isn't the worst idea after all!!!!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 04:58 PM   #825
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Yeah, I hear you, which is why I asked the question as it wasn't clear what he was driving at. The Cedar LNG plant is quite a bit smaller than LNG Canada, so presumably the pipeline capacity is sufficient. It seems to me the LNG Canada plant running at full capacity really depends on the operational issues pertaining to that plant. I don't think any plant ever runs at 100% (scheduled maintenance) but I don't think there would be any reason to question capacity when the thing isn't even built.
I was actually wondering if the LNG plant will have enough natural gas being supplied, and even if it could be expanded to handle more.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:07 PM   #826
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I was actually wondering if the LNG plant will have enough natural gas being supplied, and even if it could be expanded to handle more.
LNG Canada is supposed to be expandable, from the first phase of 13-14 million tonnes/year to potentially as much as 26-28 million tonnes.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 06:18 PM   #827
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I've now heard the pipeline will be probably under 1/2 capacity, maybe as low as 1/4, and can also be twinned. It only has one compressor station, so they can add more to increase capacity.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2023, 10:52 AM   #828
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Costal Gas Link should be able to handle 5 bcf/day at capacity. To put that in perspective that is almost 30% of current Canadian natural gas production.
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suave For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2023, 05:15 PM   #829
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Well, fill me in.
https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2865/a...atures-matter/

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/syr/figures/

Here's what also worries me. Recent refugee crises (Syria, Ukraine, and others) have led to the rise of far-right reactionary heads of state around the world such as Trump, Bolsonaro, etc. What will the reaction be when the number of refugees increases by an order of magnitude? We're probably looking at social upheaval and violence on a scale that we haven't seen in our lifetimes (or maybe ever).

And there could be diseases frozen in permafrost that we don't even know about that could be unleashed on the world once the ice melts.

Last edited by Mathgod; 03-25-2023 at 05:38 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 08:18 PM   #830
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post

Here's what also worries me. Recent refugee crises (Syria, Ukraine, and others) have led to the rise of far-right reactionary heads of state around the world such as Trump, Bolsonaro, etc. What will the reaction be when the number of refugees increases by an order of magnitude? We're probably looking at social upheaval and violence on a scale that we haven't seen in our lifetimes (or maybe ever).

And there could be diseases frozen in permafrost that we don't even know about that could be unleashed on the world once the ice melts.
Respectfully feel this slant on climate change properly belongs in a politics thread.

This group has been keeping pretty on topic, really don't think this a path this thread needs to go down.

Last edited by DoubleK; 03-25-2023 at 10:22 PM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2023, 09:12 PM   #831
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Azure raised a question, I answered it.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:23 PM   #832
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Azure raised a question, I answered it.
Edited my post for clarity. Wasn't meant to be a swipe at you, apologies if it came across that way.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:29 AM   #833
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Man I hope you stretched before making such a large leap. Let’s stick to facts rather than wild speculation and what-if scenarios especially when there is more than enough misinformation surrounding this topic coming from both sides of the camp. I think Street Pharmacists illustration answered the topic pretty clearly. These are all based on modeling so always subject to change as well depending on inputs and assumptions used.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:59 AM   #834
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
It's really not an issue at all. Almost everywhere with any kind of real heating/cooling needs has a mismatch between heating and cooling loads. You just size the equipment for whichever is more appropriate; generally that's heating for heating-dominated climates and cooling for cooling-dominated climates.

Short cycling can be an issue, but it's more of a problem with modulating equipment. My main heat pump can output between 3K-26K BTUs in heating or cooling mode, so if the cooling needs are less than 3K, then it'll kick on and off pretty regularly which isn't great for units that are designed to run 24 hours a day. But by the time it gets warm enough inside to warrant turning it on, the cooling needs are at least that high.

And with non-modulating central heat pumps, they're not designed to run all the time (except at the design temperature) so they can easily handle turning on and off a few times per hour which is basically what happens during smaller indoor/outdoor temperature deltas. And if it turns into a real issue, it's trivial to get a thermostat that can have minimum cycle on/off times set on it.

We don’t have air conditioning and there are only a few days a year we wished we had it. Any issues just shutting the heat pump off for a few months?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:51 AM   #835
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I've referenced Nat Bullard's decarbonization trends presentation before, but if I haven't, I highly suggest people who are interested in this stuff check it out:

https://www.nathanielbullard.com/presentations

Anyways, he has a slide about a survey question to 200 O&G executives about the energy market. One of the questions is about the age of inexpensive natural gas in the US ending due to LNG exports and underinvestment in production. Almost 70% of them expect prices to rise substatially and permanently by 2025. That's a pretty significant change.

The followup questions to that then become:
a) what does this do to the competitiveness of battery and other storage?
b) what does this do to the economics of heat pumps?
c) what does this do to investment in electfication of industrial heat processes?

Also, if Canadian gas continues to be cheap as it is somewhat landlocked, does it make economic sense to build a pipeline south? I genuinely have no idea what kind of economics would be required and where that would be.

I'm not sure what price spread is required between Europe and North America to keep the US gas price high, but the what happens to prices once LNG onfrastructure is fully built in and Europe decreases LNG use? I suppose Asia will increase in usage, but they can't support quite as high of a price as Europe has.

Fascinating and really hard to predict where this goes, but I don't anticipate Canada's gas sector to be hurting for some time either way
Old 03-27-2023, 11:54 AM   #836
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
We don’t have air conditioning and there are only a few days a year we wished we had it. Any issues just shutting the heat pump off for a few months?
Most heat pumps should be complete with programmable controls, allowing you to run the thing heat-only. Alternatively you may be able to program a separate cooling set point, much higher than your heating set point, so that the cooling cycle doesn't actuate until the house gets quite warm.

Or, if you really don't want the cooling, you could just turn the power off.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:13 PM   #837
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
No, not at all. That's how most people in places that don't need a ton of A/C use them. Like most HVAC equipment, there's 4 settings: Heat, Cool, Auto, and Off. So you can use Heat mode during the heating season, turn it to Off the rest of the year, and then switch it into Cool the few times it's needed.

You can rely on Auto to do all that for you, but that's often not the best way, particularly in places with cooler nights. You can easily get in a situation where you're heating in the night/morning and then cooling later in the same day. Whereas if you just let the interior temperature drop a bit overnight, it'd keep the space cooler during the day without A/C.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:42 PM   #838
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post

You can rely on Auto to do all that for you, but that's often not the best way, particularly in places with cooler nights. You can easily get in a situation where you're heating in the night/morning and then cooling later in the same day. Whereas if you just let the interior temperature drop a bit overnight, it'd keep the space cooler during the day without A/C.
Can you come and explain this to my wife?
Old 05-24-2023, 08:14 AM   #839
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

So an interesting thread appeared on Twitter and it blew my mind about solar. We don't see much solar here in BC, and really even most Albertans aren't aware of just how fast the solar market is growing because most of it is happening in Europe and China.

This is what you call exponential growth:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1661093300701372416
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 01:59 PM   #840
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
So an interesting thread appeared on Twitter and it blew my mind about solar. We don't see much solar here in BC, and really even most Albertans aren't aware of just how fast the solar market is growing because most of it is happening in Europe and China.

This is what you call exponential growth:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1661093300701372416
So are we expecting 1GW/hour by 2029?
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote