Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #41
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our new scarf order will be at the June 21 game. I've PM'd everyone who wanted them (I think). If I missed anyone just let me know.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #42
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well it looks like I might be reffing, as an injury is gonna keep me out. This should be interesting.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #43
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Haha, I started reading with the intention of stating that I don't know what to post but do love reading all the updates, then realized that I'm like the 50th poster to do so!

So yeah, same as everyone else; Please keep updating and I can't wait to get out to a game sometime.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #44
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone wants to check out Calgary Foothills women's side they will be playing a friendly against Seattle Sounders Women on Friday. Assuming the weather is nice I might go check it out.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #45
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping as there is a game tonight - 7 pm at Hellard. There is also a thunderstorm warning but I'm going to pretend that is just a filthy lie by the weather folks.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #46
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Bumping as there is a game tonight - 7 pm at Hellard. There is also a thunderstorm warning but I'm going to pretend that is just a filthy lie by the weather folks.
Just a "watch" at this point. Nothing to worry about!
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:01 AM   #47
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any Canadian kids who look like they could move up a level or two?
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #48
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Foothills draw Kitsap Pumas 1-1 last night. The goal was a beauty by Yoann Promenot, from 20ish yards out, bar down. Calgary is the only club to have taken points from Kitsap, and considering Kitsap are head and shoulders above the rest of the clubs in the division, this was a great result.

johnny199r, I would say Darius Ramsay and Elijah Adekugbe are ones to look out for. Adekugbe's brother plays on the Whitecaps so there's a pedigree there.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #49
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a video of the Promonet goal from last night.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnc3f0to7f...light.mp4?dl=0

Old 06-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #50
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Don't mean to highjack the thread. Foothills WFC will face the Seattle Sounders tonight, 7 pm at Encana. With the Pan American roster announced earlier, you'll see two members of the Canadian team tonight. Sarah Kinzner will suit up for Foothills, while recent U-20 Women's World Cup captain Kinley McNicoll is having a stellar season with Seattle. She's a standout and is making strides to join the senior team, which I truly believe will happen in the next year or two.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #51
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't mind at all! It looks like the WFC won as well, 1-0 over Sounders WFC

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #52
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Don't mind at all! It looks like the WFC won as well, 1-0 over Sounders WFC
Great game last night. The Sounders are one of the strongest teams in the W-League and for Foothills to beat them is very positive. There was a solid turnout too, maybe 400-500ish?

Troye has done an excellent job with these girls. They play a very up-tempo, possession style of ball.

Sarah Kinzner is a class above everyone else. The sky is the limit with her. She's been a part of the U-17, U-20 Women's World Cup teams. Now she's going to be on the Pan American squad. She will, no doubt, be part of the senior national team down the road. It's exciting to have a midfielder of that calibre coming from Calgary.

Was chatting with Tommy Wheeldon Jr yesterday and they are expecting a big turnout for tomorrow's PDL match. Hope everyone has a chance to head on down!
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #53
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Foothills draws Washington Crossfire 2-2. Can we get 10 draws? I think so.

Also, really disappointed with the lack of support from Calgarians towards this team. Do people actually want to see soccer in this city or do they just say they do?

Old 06-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #54
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Crickets...
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #55
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary Foothills draws Washington Crossfire 2-2. Can we get 10 draws? I think so.

Also, really disappointed with the lack of support from Calgarians towards this team. Do people actually want to see soccer in this city or do they just say they do?
What was the attendance today? Big cities are a catch 22 for small sports teams, because there's hundreds of thousands of potential fans, but big cities are often too big for small teams to get significant advertising/coverage/word out.

In big cities it's often about perception and being part of something that people think everyone wants to be a part of. You get regular coverage with decent sized articles on like page 2 or 3 of the sports section, with maybe some pics that the Stamps/Roughnecks/Flames get and all of sudden thousands see that and go "hmmm, looks like a legit sport in this city, I'll check it out".

Instead, you get very little coverage and the title of "tier 2 soccer" and the combination makes the general public either a) not aware they exist or b) going "Hmmm, tier two soccer, that doesn't sound like anything to go out of my way to see".
Old 06-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #56
jayswin

Exp:

Full disclosure, I literally only know about this team because of you and your dedication to talking about them on this forum.

Which is excellent for you, and I appreciate all you've done, but if I represent the average Calgarian, then there's hundreds of thousands of potential fans that may check out a game or two and the maybe become a full fan that just honestly don't know how good the soccer is or that it even exists and that it is hopefully the start of us getting an MLS franchise one day.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #57
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are four fairly rabid premiership followers at my work (like take breaks in the middle of the day to watch the games) and they have never even heard of the PDL, let alone that Calgary has a team.

I know about this because of you, and I find it interesting, but like above, if I'm the average calgarian, there hasn't been much in terms of market penetration.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #58
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were just over 200 people there today. Hence the disappointment.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #59
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There were just over 200 people there today. Hence the disappointment.

I wonder if fathers' day actually hurt attendance, people out doing activities with their children.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #60
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know, I think it's just always an excuse with the casual fan to not go to these games. Everyone says they want to check it out, and no one follows up and actually does it. Of course, there are exceptions (I know there are 2 members here who have gone to multiple games), but the exceptions seem to be so few and far between. Hell, supporters from FC Edmonton drove in to bring up the atmosphere this game, anticipating that there would be a bigger crowd, and it was the worst crowd of the year.

Unfortunately, the club won't be around much longer if the current level of support stays. That's the reality. Get out and support it or lose it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:

Tags
foot soldiers , oilers suck , tommy wheeldon