Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #21
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is just the opinion of one sports fan.

I've been enjoying soccer more and more lately and would definitely like to support a local pro team.. especially if it progresses to the MLS level. I would go to games and likely buy a jersey etc.

Call me fickle, but I can't and won't get behind a Calgary pro team that wears green and white.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #22
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So be it, but I think that's an absolutely ridiculous reason to not support a local soccer team. I really question your assertion that you would like to support a local team if that's what's holding you back from doing so.

Last edited by shermanator; 06-08-2015 at 09:17 PM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #23
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

No kidding, the team is right here and right now... this is a new beginning, and it's building momentum. Now is the time to get onboard with Calgary's team, regardless of the colors. Shed your aesthetic preference and think bigger!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #24
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Call me fickle, but I can't and won't get behind a Calgary pro team that wears green and white.
Do you even know why they wear green and white?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #25
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2015 Calgary Foothills PDL Thread

I don't know why, but am interested to find out.

I knew that I would take some shots with my post, but I would bet I'm far from the only person with the same thought. (BTW, I did attend the first match against Puget Sound).

Last edited by JBR; 06-09-2015 at 08:49 AM.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:45 AM   #26
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know why, but am interested to find out.

I knew that I would take some shots with my post, but I would bet I'm far from the only person with the same thought. (BTW, I did attend the first match against Puget Sound).
Fair pay, I thought I'd ask before crucifying you.

Most professionals sports teams in North America are established when the owners are granted a franchise in a league. As they are brand new clubs and often granted exclusivity in their region, they can select team colours and a name that are strongly identified with the local area. In contrast, Foothills F.C. were established decades ago as a local neighbourhood football club (Calgary Foothills S.C.) that played against other clubs that were also based in local neighbourhoods.

As there were numerous Calgary clubs, they couldn't all adopt colours associated with Calgary. Consequently, many of the clubs selected teams colours that were neither red nor white and may have had some significance to the neighbourhood or people who founded the club. Ironically, clubs like Foothills F.C. are more steeped in local history than franchises that take on Calgary colours (e.g. the Canons or Roughnecks) as part of a marketing strategy.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #27
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot, if not most, cities have sports teams that don't have matching colours. I have always thought that Calgary was more of the exception than the norm.

In the Premier League, I support Norwich City because my family is from there, yet yellow is one of my least favourite colours. I usually wear darker colours, and the only yellow items of clothing that I own are Norwich shirts, some of which are obnoxiously bright. But - that's the team I support, so if I end up looking like a lemon while I wear one around town after a big win, then so be it!
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #28
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This is just the opinion of one sports fan.

I've been enjoying soccer more and more lately and would definitely like to support a local pro team.. especially if it progresses to the MLS level. I would go to games and likely buy a jersey etc.

I certainly understand how it can have negative connotations, but these colours have nothing to do with any other team aside from, perhaps, a loose inspiration.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #29
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I love the updates too, Shermanator! I'll be attending as many games as my schedule allows over the coming weeks, and will likely be a more active poster when I gain the slightest bit of knowledge about this team.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #30
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

With the long layoff, Tommy asked if we wanted to have a friendly with them again, set for 1:30 on Saturday @ Hellard, provided we can get a full side as we have quite a few out of town...including our goalie.

Free admission if anyone cares to take in a bunch of young guys playing a bunch of has-beens!
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #31
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Wirth plays for Oregon State. Signing for any higher league means he is ineligible for the NCAA. Because Foothills doesn't pay that allows him to get more game experience without sacrificing eligibility.
It may be different in the NCAA, but I know up here in the CIS/CCAA, playing in the PDL eliminated one year of your 5 for eligibility. At least that's how it used to be.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #32
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shermanator - Aren't there only 2 over-agers allowed in the PDL? You just mentioned they signed a 27 year old, but already have Nic Reyes and Wheeldon Jr, unless Reyes hasn't been playing?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #33
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought I heard 8 actually but that's possibly the entire squad. Not sure how many are allowed on the pitch.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #34
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Nuje is right. Maximum of 8 over the age of 23, and 3 have to be under the age of 18.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:33 AM   #35
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just wanted to chime in with more support for Sherm. Soccer is probably 5th/6th on my list of sports but I enjoy hearing about the local sports scene and will try and take in a game before the end of the season. If it wasn't for your posts, I wouldn't even know this team existed. Thumbs up to you!
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #36
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

What everyone else says. I know once or twice this summer I'll see this thread, say "oh yeah" and round up some people to go check out a game. Thanks for the updates!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #37
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Soooo we need a ref for our friendly this weekend...any volunteers? (With experience).

Also can't guarantee I won't yell at you.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:45 PM   #38
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump! Still looking for a ref. Everyone and their dog is out of town apparently.

PM me if interested. No pay, but it'd be a good chance to check out the PDL team up close and personal. We will pay you in beers though!
Old 06-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #39
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have no qualification or aspiration to be a ref, but how can someone get certified to ref a regulated match such as this?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #40
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

To do an actual PDL game, I believe you need to be a nationally certified referee, but for a friendly like this, it's not required.

Tags
foot soldiers , oilers suck , tommy wheeldon