Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #81
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Really? It was clear that the ref stopped her watch when Solo was down before the corner kick. She could have been down 10 minutes and it wouldn't have mattered. With the injury and the goal and the red card/free kick, extra time ran well into 123 minutes.
Sorry, I think she was talking about going down earlier, and milking it.

Solo: Theatrics could’ve saved Americans
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;..._injury_071711

Solo injured her knee in a collision with Japan’s Yukari Kinga early in the second period of extra-time with the Americans leading by a goal.

She opted not to receive treatment at the time, in stark contrast to the often-theatrical antics many players choose to adopt in such situations. During the USA’s thrilling quarterfinal victory over Brazil, the Brazilian players continually feigned injury while leading late in the game in an attempt to kill clock.

But Solo’s knee complaint worsened, and by the time there were only four minutes of extra time left she had no option but to call for the trainer and play was halted while she was treated on the field.

“Part of me wishes I had never gone down to keep the team’s confidence up,” Solo said. “There was an option earlier on of going down and getting the trainer on and doing the antics. I wanted to get up, I didn’t want to win that way. But I wonder now if I did the right thing.”

Last edited by troutman; 07-18-2011 at 02:54 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #82
arloiginla
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Always nice to see the Americans lose.
arloiginla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arloiginla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #83
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Sorry, I think she was talking about going down earlier, and milking it.

Solo: Theatrics could’ve saved Americans
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;..._injury_071711

Solo injured her knee in a collision with Japan’s Yukari Kinga early in the second period of extra-time with the Americans leading by a goal.

She opted not to receive treatment at the time, in stark contrast to the often-theatrical antics many players choose to adopt in such situations. During the USA’s thrilling quarterfinal victory over Brazil, the Brazilian players continually feigned injury while leading late in the game in an attempt to kill clock.

But Solo’s knee complaint worsened, and by the time there were only four minutes of extra time left she had no option but to call for the trainer and play was halted while she was treated on the field.

“Part of me wishes I had never gone down to keep the team’s confidence up,” Solo said. “There was an option earlier on of going down and getting the trainer on and doing the antics. I wanted to get up, I didn’t want to win that way. But I wonder now if I did the right thing.”
That makes no sense.

A) The ref tacks on whatever time Solo is down injured. She actually wastes more time by not going down.

B) It's not like the Japanese scored in injury time, they scored with FOUR minutes left. There was even enough time for a few more scoring chances and a red card!

Solo's beating herself over nothing which is not healthy.

Last edited by GirlySports; 07-18-2011 at 05:10 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #84
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Na, I don't buy it. The US could not score on their early chances and that ultimately cost them the game. I thought the Japanese team looked very nervous in the first half and did not play their best game. That being said they settled in by the end and were able to control their emotions when it really counted. The tying goal and winning penalty shots were very highly skilled by any standard.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #85
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That makes no sense.

A) The ref tacks on whatever time Solo is down injured. She actually wastes more time by not going down.

B) It's not like the Japanese scored in injury time, they scored with FOUR minutes left. There was even enough time for a few more scoring chances and a red card!

Solo's beating herself over nothing which is not healthy.
It does not make much sense, but I think this is what she is saying:

If she went down she could have recovered, instead of playing on in pain. Also, her team could have caught their breath while she got treatment.

I also suspect refs don't add on exactly the same amount of time as the injury, but some fraction thereof?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football , soccer