Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #41
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
This is so true. We are deploying Windows 7/Office 2010 from XP/Office 2003 this summer and I am dreading dealing with users. Of course my users are all middle aged social workers, so computers are not their forte.
Office 2003? jesus, we're fielding enough calls switching from 2007 to 2010, and the differences aren't that big. from 2003 to 2010 though is night and day. good luck with that one
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #42
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh well. I'll get used to it. If I don't, then suddenly I become my grandpa and tell people things were simpler in my day.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #43
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Office 2003? jesus, we're fielding enough calls switching from 2007 to 2010, and the differences aren't that big. from 2003 to 2010 though is night and day. good luck with that one
At least you skip the original Office Application button and move to the new style - that should help your user base out right there.

We moved our software to the first generation Ribbon and people couldn't print for days.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #44
Crazy Bacon Legs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am so technologically inept that I still print off a copy of the internet and carry it around with me.

I like substantive change, not gimmicks. This video shows a lot of gimmicks.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #45
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually agree that it's possible that Android takes over as the biggest player on the field relatively fast. Things are changing, and there's some good incentives for companies to go the Android way.

As to the Nokia/Windows deal, it doesn't look good. Both companies have a terrible reputation in the smartphone business, and combining their "talents" and reputation could very easily mean a product that is simply unmarketable.

As to tablets, I think stories of them tailing off are premature, since first generation of business tablets is only starting to come out. Having seen so many over 50+ semi-luddites react to touchscreens with almost childlike excitement, they could be exactly what companies will want to give to those hard-to-teach employees, or anyone who just needs to do a couple of things. Tablets could also open up brand new markets, being so easy to carry and not needing a table to use. A lot of work is done outside the office environment. For example I'm thinking waitresses might start carrying tablets around pretty soon.

Of course, Windows could make it in the tablet market too. But they are handicapped by the fact that touchscreen users right now are mostly not using Windows. And for many these days the first computer is an Apple or an Android smartphone, so it's somewhat inevitable that some of that brand familiarity will remain once those kids start buying their own computers. So Windows needs to work hard just to keep their traditional market.

I think computing is changing, and I'm not at all convinced Microsoft really understands it. They still seem to be thinking big (example: the Windows Live mammoth), when many users are going smaller and simpler, getting used to apps and easily customizable software that do just the few things they need, with speed and ease of use being of primary concern.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #46
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Mac's new OS "Lion" is the same app look.

http://www.apple.com/ca/macosx/?cid=...3-173497&sr=em
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #47
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
exactly.

7=good. Vista=terrible. XP=Good. ME=Terrible.

and so on
Not exactly.

7 = Good
Vista = Bad
XP = Good
ME = Bad
2000 = Good
98 SE = Good
98 = Bad
95 = Good
3.11 = Good

They've only recently gone to this Good - Bad - Good - Bad pattern.

Personally I think Windows 8 will be great. Of course you can turn off the new UI, you think businesses are going to want their staff screwing with touchscreens and widgets all day?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #48
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Personalization certainly is the future, a simple stock release with the user being able to decide what they want and build upon that.

That being said, Windows 8 needs a clean, stock version that will make most people happy while allowing for those geekier to customize and geek out their computer.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #49
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Personalization certainly is the future, a simple stock release with the user being able to decide what they want and build upon that.

That being said, Windows 8 needs a clean, stock version that will make most people happy while allowing for those geekier to customize and geek out their computer.
i think it will be the opposite. the true computer geeks will keep the simple Windows layout and the casual user will go crazy with the personal widgets
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #50
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

yuck, I do not like that at all. it's fine on a phone but I don't want that on my desktop

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #51
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i think it will be the opposite. the true computer geeks will keep the simple Windows layout and the casual user will go crazy with the personal widgets
So true, and enough of them will eventually slow the bloody thing to a crawl, as I keep telling my foster kids who install endless tool bars I have to delete.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #52
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I actually agree that it's possible that Android takes over as the biggest player on the field relatively fast. Things are changing, and there's some good incentives for companies to go the Android way.

As to the Nokia/Windows deal, it doesn't look good. Both companies have a terrible reputation in the smartphone business, and combining their "talents" and reputation could very easily mean a product that is simply unmarketable.

As to tablets, I think stories of them tailing off are premature, since first generation of business tablets is only starting to come out. Having seen so many over 50+ semi-luddites react to touchscreens with almost childlike excitement, they could be exactly what companies will want to give to those hard-to-teach employees, or anyone who just needs to do a couple of things. Tablets could also open up brand new markets, being so easy to carry and not needing a table to use. A lot of work is done outside the office environment. For example I'm thinking waitresses might start carrying tablets around pretty soon.

Of course, Windows could make it in the tablet market too. But they are handicapped by the fact that touchscreen users right now are mostly not using Windows. And for many these days the first computer is an Apple or an Android smartphone, so it's somewhat inevitable that some of that brand familiarity will remain once those kids start buying their own computers. So Windows needs to work hard just to keep their traditional market.

I think computing is changing, and I'm not at all convinced Microsoft really understands it. They still seem to be thinking big (example: the Windows Live mammoth), when many users are going smaller and simpler, getting used to apps and easily customizable software that do just the few things they need, with speed and ease of use being of primary concern.
I would argue that the unified ecosystem Microsoft is attempting to create shows a lot of foresight. The fragmented web application landscape is a disaster for developers today. The application I'm working on now needs to be fully tested and functional on about a dozen platforms once you take the various browsers, smartphones, and tablets into account. If they can execute, they'll be a major player in the cross-platform future.

As people transition from PCs to tablets there's going to be a big demand for a buy-once, use anywhere application delivery system.

I'm skeptical that this sort of unified system is possible today, or that Microsoft will be the one to deliver it, but if nothing else they're going to push the market in that direction and I applaud them for that.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #53
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
As people transition from PCs to tablets there's going to be a big demand for a buy-once, use anywhere application delivery system.
Java says hi.

Cute comment aside, I completely disagree with your notion that anyone wants, needs, or will achieve a unified anything. The varying form factors and capabilities, which are hugely magnified in the mobile space, mean that you want to have the right functionality, displayed in an appropriate interface, at the right spot, at the right time.

I'm glad my iPad, iPhone, and laptop all function differently - I have vastly different needs sitting on the bus, in a meeting, and at my desk, and I want tools optimized for each of those places, working on the same set of data.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #54
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Java says hi.

Cute comment aside, I completely disagree with your notion that anyone wants, needs, or will achieve a unified anything. The varying form factors and capabilities, which are hugely magnified in the mobile space, mean that you want to have the right functionality, displayed in an appropriate interface, at the right spot, at the right time.

I'm glad my iPad, iPhone, and laptop all function differently - I have vastly different needs sitting on the bus, in a meeting, and at my desk, and I want tools optimized for each of those places, working on the same set of data.
I laughed at the Java comment.

There's already a huge overlap in functionality between phones, tablets, and PCs. I've got 10 apps on my iPhone that I've also got in some form on laptop. Obviously something like a full-featured Photoshop has no place on a phone - I'm talking about general computing here.

Web UI design absolutely has to be responsive to the client devices of your audience. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that native apps could be developed to do the same thing.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #55
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Web UI design absolutely has to be responsive to the client devices of your audience. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that native apps could be developed to do the same thing.
Isn't that almost contradictory to the definition of a native app?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #56
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Isn't that almost contradictory to the definition of a native app?
No. Native applications have been developed to respond appropriately to different resolutions forever. Adapting to small screen sizes is just another step in that direction.

The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:

Tags
microsoft , windows 8