Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #121
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Who in their right mind would have waited for SP3 on Windows XP instead of upgrading to SP2? SP2 felt like as big a jump as Vista to 7 did.
The saying dates back to the NT4 days - I quite fondly remember SP4 (and SP2 to a lesser extent) borking our Lotus Notes (not Domino, Notes) servers something fierce. SP6, as the final SP for NT 4, also introduced actual behavioral changes as opposed to simple fixes for documented functionality - there were a number of edge cases you had to be aware of before deploying it.

XP SP2 introduced the Windows firewall, which was a sea change to the operation of the OS. It also had a decent list of known issues, and plenty of apps that hadn't been updated to handle a firewall being in place broke at the time.

Clearly, it's a silly saying borne out of poor testing methodologies - I mostly like saying it to sound like an IT redneck.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #122
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It's no different than 'haters' running into Apple threads just to troll.

It's pretty funny that it bricked. Regardless of how far away the launch of the product is, you want the device to be 100% for the things you're displaying to a crowd of people in the auditorium and the world via streaming. Your product will look like crap if it bricks doing, what should be, the simplest of tasks.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #123
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love that it was Internet Explorer he was trying to open when it crashed. Just priceless!

Personally I think both MS and Apple have their right place but IMHO MS is going to take a bath like RIM did with that junk they put out. First thing when I saw it was it was an upside down laptop and the picture in this thread showed it perfectly.

After having the iPhone and iPad now I can see why it does have "fanboys". Its because it's an amazing product and deserves the praise. I can't think of a MS product I have ever had that works as well as these things. It crashing was a perfect example of MS finished product. And I say that still in love with my PC but man does it piss me off from time to time.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HOOT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #124
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
After having the iPhone and iPad now I can see why it does have "fanboys". Its because it's an amazing product and deserves the praise. I can't think of a MS product I have ever had that works as well as these things. It crashing was a perfect example of MS finished product. And I say that still in love with my PC but man does it piss me off from time to time.
And how many equivalent MS products have you owned?

Windows Phone 7.5 may not have a huge user base, but those who use it generally rave about it. See this review from May of this year:
Quote:
I'd argue that Windows Phone 7.5 is the most beautiful mobile OS on the market. There's just nothing out there that looks and feels as smooth and polished in the hand. Microsoft's "Metro" user interface is well crafted on smartphones, and not only is it a solid proving ground for Windows 8 (at least on portable devices), but it's just an efficient (and addictive) way to use a smartphone. Metro's design cues aren't just good looking, they're useful. It's extremely easy to flip and swipe through Windows Phone, and particularly for users who are more interested in ease-of-use than hack-ability, Microsoft has put together a nice package. Also, the live tile feature -- which allows app "tiles" to flip over and present up-to-date, glanceable information -- is a huge leap above the simple notifications available elsewhere.
The MS answer to the iPod line similarly failed to gain market share but again gained rave reviews from those who actually gave it a try. Here's a review of the Zune HD by Cnet:
Quote:
As one of the only iPod alternatives that can match the iPod Touch in beauty and pricing, the 16GB ($199), 32GB ($269), and 64GB ($349) Zune HD also includes a unique stable of features worthy of Apple's envy.
Finally the XBox more than matches other consoles, though I've never owened a console since my Sega Genesis, so I can't vouch for it.

On the traditional MS products front, Windows 7 was a consumer and critical hit, and the Office suite continues to be the gold standard in its class.

MS flopped with Vista, and has had trouble launching products due to marketing problems and being late to the game, but it's not the ###### up many characterize it as.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #125
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Finally the XBox more than matches other consoles, though I've never owened a console since my Sega Genesis, so I can't vouch for it.
You mean the same Xbox I have to replace every couple years because it RODs on me? Love my Xbox but it is far from perfect, my NES system has less issues.

Don't get me wrong I love my Xbox, Office and my PC but they should not be making hardware. I couldn't imagine how furious I would be if all my info was in something as reliable as an Xbox.

Sorry for exaggerating a bit but at the same time when you think MS you cant tell me that reliability or stable is at the top of the list of words you would use to describe them. I'm not trying to hate on them but this product looks terrible and that presentation is a sample of what users have to look forward to.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #126
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I said, I've never owned an XBox, so was only going by it's longevity, sales, and game catalog.

As for making hardware, I imagine this will be a official Microsoft product, branded with their name, and with specs dictated by them, but actually made by a partner.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #127
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

According to Acer's founder MS wanted to put this out to show what it can do, but MS will withdraw from the tablet hardware market after it's hardware partner's come out with their offerings.

PS same thing google did with first nexus...

Last edited by FlamingLonghorn; 06-21-2012 at 12:47 PM.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #128
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowa View Post
According to Acer's founder MS wanted to put this out to show what it can do, but MS will withdraw from the tablet hardware market after it's hardware partner's come out with their offerings.

PS same thing google did with first nexus...
Could be true. Could be wishful thinking from one of the worst offenders of shovelware/bargain basement hardware that is Acer.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #129
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had the same Xbox for almost5 yrs now. Narry a problem.

Interesting read on the Windows phone. My g/f's cousin has one and it was really quite slick. He had dropped it earlier so the screen was cracked and a mess but it still looked like a solid interface. If I was in the market for a new phone, I'd give it a serious look.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #130
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I've had the same Xbox for almost5 yrs now. Narry a problem.

Interesting read on the Windows phone. My g/f's cousin has one and it was really quite slick. He had dropped it earlier so the screen was cracked and a mess but it still looked like a solid interface. If I was in the market for a new phone, I'd give it a serious look.
My Xbox has died once in the past and it was replaced within two weeks. The replacement one has lasted for over three years now. [shrug]

Some of the Windows Phone 7 handsets come with Corning Gorilla Glass (I have a Samsung Omnia 7 with the GG) and you won't crack that stuff with a simple drop. Totally awesome phone.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #131
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Fan boy = A person who rushes into this thread with his first and only post to link to that video.

Fan boy = Someone's first and only post in this thread rushing to defend him.

The way he presented his post was hilarious.
I actually considered not putting anything in that post other than the video, but made the comment underneath just to appease people such as yourself.

It didn't matter what I said. You were bothered that someone who prefers Apple came in here to post a video making fun of Microsoft, and had to get your two sense in.

Anyways.

Has there been a battery life announced on this thing? I still think MS was much too vague in the actual technical specs of this prototype. And what about price?
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #132
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My eleventy billion dollars price estimate appears to have been fairly accurate. Rumors are saying $599 for the ARM-powered one and $999 for the Intel one. I would hope those prices include the keyboard/cover thing.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #133
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno but the keyboard seems like an ergonomic nightmare to me, although the iPad isn't much better. Not sure this thing should really replace laptops if you plan on spending significant amounts of time on it.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #134
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
My eleventy billion dollars price estimate appears to have been fairly accurate. Rumors are saying $599 for the ARM-powered one and $999 for the Intel one. I would hope those prices include the keyboard/cover thing.
If the cover is included, which it has to be giving how they are portraying it, it is pretty much same price as the iPad then, or less if you count the basic model having 64GB of storage compared to the 16GB iPad, then it is actually cheaper.

Good start, assuming it matches performance.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #135
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
It didn't matter what I said. You were bothered that someone who prefers Apple came in here to post a video making fun of Microsoft, and had to get your two sense in.
What can I say, fanatic Apple fan boys grind my gears.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #136
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
What can I say, fanatic Apple fan boys grind my gears.
Yes, we know.

Personally I find people who poke the fanboys and get them going just as irritating.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #137
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Yes, we know.

Personally I find people who poke the fanboys and get them going just as irritating.
Fair enough, that's not what happened in this thread though. HotHotHeat was the one with the poker, not me.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #138
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love poking.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #139
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Love poking.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=118360
Old 06-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #140
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I dunno but the keyboard seems like an ergonomic nightmare to me, although the iPad isn't much better. Not sure this thing should really replace laptops if you plan on spending significant amounts of time on it.
If you're using it exclusively at desk, the laptop wins. But a tablet is less of an ergonomic nightmare that a laptop is in other scenarios, such as in bed, on a bus, or in economy class when flying. I still think there are better form factors for a laptop-tablet hybrid though (i.e. something where the hinge can support the screen).
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked , clippy , microsoft , ms crash no? , tablet , windows